Uneven Tire Wear

91LS400pilot

I have replaced the original tires-P205/60 R51 Goodwear INVICTA GA-91 LS400-

with Dunlop Sport A2, P215/60 R15 M&S, Tread wear 420, Traction AA, Temp.A. Warranty 50,000 miles.

I have done only 21,000 miles in the past seven years and the car is like driving on rocks noise wise.

I took the car to NTB(the place I bought them) and the guy after examining the tires he told me there is uneven wear

due to bad struts and he said even if I buy new ones I will have the same problem again. BTW he quoted $330 just for the rear Monroe pair of struts installed.

When I changed the tires I had 107,000 miles in 12/2002 and now 128,000 miles .

Can be this the real cause or...?

What do you suggest shall I do?

Thanks--

Tires age by mileage and time. At seven years it would be wide to replace them especially if they are showing wear patterns. With 128K in mileage, you are due for some suspension maintenance. Ball joints and struts are near the end of their service life and each can impact tire wear. Were they inspected as well? $330 seems a very reasonable price to purchase and install new struts. I would caution against non OEM struts unless you don't mind loosing the Lexus type ride. Various others have commented that aftermarket struts alter the ride in a negative way, even the KGB brand. Irontoad sells Lexus struts for slightly over $100 each. They are not a bad diy project with lots of directions and help available on line. Don't forget an alignment as well.

tell us what kind of wear was found exactly and perhaps someone can tell you what part's going out on the suspension.

I cannot describe the wear but I am attaching few pics-(a pic is 1K words). I have a 50K miles written warranty!

Thanks all for responding. Your input is appreciated.

Best,

Chris

DSCF0078-1.jpg

DSCF0077-1.jpg

DSCF0079-1.jpg

DSCF0076-1.jpg

Have them check your suspension, but what it looks like is bad aligment, and struts. Check in the strut area for leaks after the car is sitting overnight, if you find pudles of clear hydrolic fluid you probably have bad struts. The passenger side is prone for this wear since the roads tend to be worst in the gutter side plus the parking is more to that side. Like other members said it is about time to check the whole suspension, since is mostly made out of rubber the heat and cold temperatures tend to wear it out. If you can find poly replacements for that rubber even as the ride will become stiffer they will last longer. If you go with the OEM parts you will have a new car again. When you do finish this whole enterprise, remember to do tire rotations, they seem very necessary on this car because of the heavy weight in the front versus the lighter weight by comparison on the rear wheels. Even as the manual states 7,500 miles for my year you could probably get away with 10,000, if yo do not see bad areas forming and keep up with the tire pressure. I you do find that only the driver side strut is bad and want to save a penny you can replace only that one, thats why is called independant suspencion, but the best thing would be to replace both. CPR

Have them check your suspension, but what it looks like is bad aligment, and struts. Check in the strut area for leaks after the car is sitting overnight, if you find pudles of clear hydrolic fluid you probably have bad struts. The passenger side is prone for this wear since the roads tend to be worst in the gutter side plus the parking is more to that side. Like other members said it is about time to check the whole suspension, since is mostly made out of rubber the heat and cold temperatures tend to wear it out. If you can find poly replacements for that rubber even as the ride will become stiffer they will last longer. If you go with the OEM parts you will have a new car again. When you do finish this whole enterprise, remember to do tire rotations, they seem very necessary on this car because of the heavy weight in the front versus the lighter weight by comparison on the rear wheels. Even as the manual states 7,500 miles for my year you could probably get away with 10,000, if yo do not see bad areas forming and keep up with the tire pressure. I you do find that only the driver side strut is bad and want to save a penny you can replace only that one, thats why is called independant suspencion, but the best thing would be to replace both. CPR

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am always checking for leaks on my garage floor but I have not noticed any since the car stays not driven for a long time some times. In addition, today I put the car on stands, took all wheels out and there is no leak from any strut or elsewhere. I forgot to mention that this car is JUST for fun. We do not drive it on a daily basis (two other cars for doing that), and we live six months in Arizona therefore it is garaged for six months. I have always taken good care of it since I am a convert from MB to Lexus and I love it. Most likely, it needs alignment and brand new tires-never Dunlop again though.

Best,

Chris

i wouldnt blame the wear on the tire manufacturer, the written warranty also states that any abnormal wear would void the warranty. if you have an out of alignment suspension that wore the tires down then you're accountable for it, not Dunlop....

PureDrifter has likely provided the correct answer.

The shock absorbers were the only normal wear front suspension items that I did NOT have to replace while driving a 90 LS from new to just over 183,000 miles. Unless you are driving on very rough roads the shock absorbers can last several hundred thousand miles.

I'm pretty sure I had to replace everything else -- strut rods (bushings were worn out), upper and lower ball joints, etc. But the shock absorbers were just fine at 183,000 miles. I'd have to ask but the current owner of my 90 LS hasn't mentioned replacing the shock absorbers and the car now has well over 250,000 miles on it.

I am fixing my rear stabilizer bar (rusted through and broke at a bushing but still held together due to the bushing.) and bushings tomorrow for a problem that sounds very similar to yours. With the bar problem, The LS ate the tires on the inside like yours. The car seemed very unstable in bumpy situations and lots or body roll until I realized what had happened. I would check your bar, bushings and your rear stabilizer bar links if this sounds similar to what you are experiencing. Check the front ones too. New bushings are a very cheap and very noticeable modification to handling from what I have heard. They are available from TM engineering. I have 280,000 miles and going strong. Good luck.

I am fixing my rear stabilizer bar (rusted through and broke at a bushing but still held together due to the bushing.) and bushings tomorrow for a problem that sounds very similar to yours. With the bar problem, The LS ate the tires on the inside like yours. The car seemed very unstable in bumpy situations and lots or body roll until I realized what had happened. I would check your bar, bushings and your rear stabilizer bar links if this sounds similar to what you are experiencing. Check the front ones too. New bushings are a very cheap and very noticeable modification to handling from what I have heard. They are available from TM engineering. I have 280,000 miles and going strong. Good luck.

YO Toby! Have you ever replaced the shock absorbers or are they still the originals at 280,000 miles? Are you ready to sell "my" 1990 LS400 back to me?

kind of hard to tell from those pictures since i can't see the inside and outside (head on shot of the tread would be GREAT, and please make sure the tires are dry :)) but it seems to be a problem with the Toe or Camber settings.

The tires are dry but spayed few days back with black magic wet foam.

Here is the pic, I hope it helps:

DSCF0075_ca.jpg

kind of hard to tell from those pictures since i can't see the inside and outside (head on shot of the tread would be GREAT, and please make sure the tires are dry :)) but it seems to be a problem with the Toe or Camber settings.

The tires are dry but spayed few days back with black magic wet foam.

Here is the pic, I hope it helps:

DSCF0075_ca.jpg

it's still a little hard to tell but i'll venture to say that the toe might be out and/or the strut rod bushings are going or gone and are throwing the caster off to hell.

It may be struts, but I'm betting it's just old tires that are separating. My mother's car had weird wear patterns on the tires and vibration that felt like a warped rotor or bent wheels. I discovered this when I inherited her Buick LeSabre (of course) after she died. Turned out her tires were 6 or 7 years old and were separating. Even though she drove just about every day, it was a combination of simple age and ozone that destroyed them. Buy a new set of tires (and check the build date to make sure they are actually new) and have a 4-wheel alignment before you go about changing the struts or any other part of the suspension.

It may be struts, but I'm betting it's just old tires that are separating. My mother's car had weird wear patterns on the tires and vibration that felt like a warped rotor or bent wheels. I discovered this when I inherited her Buick LeSabre (of course) after she died. Turned out her tires were 6 or 7 years old and were separating. Even though she drove just about every day, it was a combination of simple age and ozone that destroyed them. Buy a new set of tires (and check the build date to make sure they are actually new) and have a 4-wheel alignment before you go about changing the struts or any other part of the suspension.

Thank you, I agree with you and this is what I have decided to do.

Best,

Chris

I believe I'm having a related problem. I just took my winters off and noticed uneven wear. I've been told that I need new strut mounts. Toyota quoted about $ 550 for installing including the alignment. Is this a reasonable price?

So I'm the contrarian here. The tires worn to the wear bars quite evenly actually, and the edge wear is very probably normal cornering wear, or feathering. For sure a good alignment would be an idea, but there is no indication that the shock absorbers are worn. The tires are just worn out is all.

You can over think this easily. Buy good tires and be happy.

So I'm the contrarian here. The tires worn to the wear bars quite evenly actually, and the edge wear is very probably normal cornering wear, or feathering. For sure a good alignment would be an idea, but there is no indication that the shock absorbers are worn. The tires are just worn out is all.

You can over think this easily. Buy good tires and be happy.

Thank you, you are not the contrarian, I agree with you.

When I went back to the place where I bought the tires after inspection they showed me a display with a good strut and how the tire looks, and one with a bad strut and a destroyed tire. Very convincing for the masses. Sell struts and tires!!

I have replaced the original tires-P205/60 R51 Goodwear INVICTA GA-91 LS400-

with Dunlop Sport A2, P215/60 R15 M&S, Tread wear 420, Traction AA, Temp.A. Warranty 50,000 miles.

I have done only 21,000 miles in the past seven years and the car is like driving on rocks noise wise.

I took the car to NTB(the place I bought them) and the guy after examining the tires he told me there is uneven wear

due to bad struts and he said even if I buy new ones I will have the same problem again. BTW he quoted $330 just for the rear Monroe pair of struts installed.

When I changed the tires I had 107,000 miles in 12/2002 and now 128,000 miles .

Can be this the real cause or...?

What do you suggest shall I do?

Thanks--

I bought brand new OEM Toyota struts/shocks (whatever they are) for the back of my old '90 LS from the dealer and they were $51 each and the shop installed for $100. (may have even been $50)..... that was about 6 years ago though. <_<

i wouldnt blame the wear on the tire manufacturer, the written warranty also states that any abnormal wear would void the warranty. if you have an out of alignment suspension that wore the tires down then you're accountable for it, not Dunlop....

Just to let you know after a complete inspection of struts et al by the tire dealer I got a 35% credit towards my next tires. Eventually, I was not accountable as per your suggestion, but I do appreciate your time to respond as well as everybody else's who responded.

Best

Chris

I had the same type of wear when I bought the car. I replaced the from torsion struts and it has been good ever since. The Lexus dealer told my the from upper control arms (wishbone) was "weak" but didn't need to be replaced. I have never had any problem since and the car tracts great. I have a lot of videos of me driving it on youtube so if you're bored ever... By the way, the same Lexus dealer told me not to replace the struts and shocks as they should last the life of the car. Still seems pretty stable at speed to me.