Rx 300 Not Charging Battery And Now Can Not Start

redlikemethodz

Hi All,

I have a 99 RX300 that suddenly wouldn't start. The battery was dead. So I took it to a parts store and had it charged and tested. Battery was fine. So I put it back in the car, it started with no problem, and drove it to the parts store and had the alternator checked. The alternator was providing only 10v so the battery was slowly draining. I replaced the alternator with a recertified one. My mistake was I didn't go back and check the voltage after replacing the alternator and now after 2 weeks, the car won't start again. I'm hoping it's just a bad alternator but if not, what else could it be?

Thanks

I hope you didnt get the alternator from Checker or Kragens...I have had bad luck with there rebuilt alternators. Also are your terminals clean, and the connections on the starter clean....?

I hope you didnt get the alternator from Checker or Kragens...I have had bad luck with there rebuilt alternators. Also are your terminals clean, and the connections on the starter clean....?

Lenore- you pegged that right. I prefer to rebuild my own stuff unless there's a bad field coil or armature or stator winding. Only a high dollar rebuilder is going to rewind anything anyway. Not only are the $8.-$10. an hour help not worried about quality, you should see what one of those rebuild shops looks like. It's hard to imagine anything that came out of them would work. Not only that but I have an idea most all of the parts that go into the competitive rebuilds come from China or whatever faraway country is willing to produce them for next to nothing.

• 12 years later...

I have the same issue.  2000 rx300.  Battery died, replaced it with a brand new one, alternator charged intermittently, so I replaced it with a brand new/not remain alternator from start mart.  All was perfect throughout the proper break-in process, but on my 1st actual drive the battery is at 11.2v after only 30 miles!  All terminals are clean and tightly connected.  I'm at a loss here.bad ground wire perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Did you check the alternator's output voltage? I'm assuming the engine runs but the battery is not getting charged by the alternator. I believe output voltage from the alternator should be about 13.5.

• 9 months later...

OK, its been a while since Ive been on this site, you've helped me before so "fingers crossed". RX300, 2002, FWD, same engine, same tranny, same everything. 250K. Lent the car to the girlfriend, dead battery ... charged the battery but the "charging circuit light" stays on. Havent done anything other than made sure the drive belt is on. Ive got the 2002 Lexus Repair manual "the bible", it details removing and repairing the generator and a bunch of electrical tests. Connected a "code reader", no codes... snafu. Im about to start making electrical measurements. Any words of wisdom guys?