Air Condiltioner Recharge

Compressor won't kick in and I've been advised that the refrigerant pressure is too low. Would someone advise what is the first cost effective procedure I should follow.

'92 SC 300 with the 'old' form of refrigerant which is evidently difficult to find.

Would it be useless/harmfull to get an adaptor to use the current form of recharge refrigerant gas in mix that 'stuff' with what remains in the system?

A mechanic advised that the new form of gas has smaller molecules which will escape through the hose system...which sounded bogus to me..he also said something about damaging rubber seals/gaskets with a mixture.

Thanks for any advice

The new refrigerant is not compatible with the rubber hoses and seals in the "old" system.

Some parts will need to be changed to be effective.

Also, check the aluminum AC lines that are held in place with a metal bracket at the bottom center of the radiator. The bracket commonly wears through the aluminum lines and that is where many leaks come from. The line is expensive to replace. The new design is not much better than the original. Make sure you put some rubber between the bracket and the line so that you don't have to replace it again like I did.

Tom

there are alot of myths but the most important thing about the so called "new" gas or 134a is that it does not mix with the oil the "old" or r12 gas uses. if you simply just fill up the system with the new 134a gas the r12 oil will sit and not circulate with the new gas, potentially causing compressor failure. the pag oil used with 134 systems will circulate with the gas properly lubricating the compressor. usually you need to get rid of as much of the r12 oil as you can. but even if you dont the oil doent mix with the gas so it kinda just sits somewhere.

the o-rings usually can be used from an r-12 system. but they are cheap so you may as well change them.

but before anything fix the leak. no ac system ever needs a simple "recharge" if it leaked out there is a leak. fix it or it will keep on leaking and you will just be wasting money.

The easiest way to re-charge these systems is to go to ebay and find the r-12 recharge kits (there is an outfit called frosty freeze that sells them that I know of). They sell complete kits to recharge your system, you just have to send them an email if you are going to resell them or have one of your a/c friends give them their epa cert number for you if you are going to have them do it for you. I would suggest a two can kit - if you don't need the second one, just put it away for now.

before recharge need to figure out if the compressor is working. You cannot purchase R-12 refrigerant anymore it's illegal to sell, unless you drive to mexico and have the car recharge there, there should be a conversion kit for R-12 to 134a ask around, some auto repair shop does it. And do not mix R-12 with 134a or you'll be sorry.

• 1 month later...

FYI - May 07, I had a leak. My mechanic used dye to find the leak, replaced a couple of o-rings- simple. Then instead doing a complete conversion, we went with Freeze 12 - it is a substitute, environmentally friendly, and cheaper. I just pulled the repair order. 5 cans of Freeze 12, 2 o-rings, locate the leak, vacuum the system, and I remember telling him to add a little more oil than normal, which he agreed was ok. No problems since. Freeze 12 does not get quite as cold as it's predecessor, but I can't tell any noticeable difference. Freeze 12 is on ebay.