2002 Sc430 Rear View Mirror Came Off And Won't Go Back On

starryeyed

I was cleaning/detailing my sc430, like I always do, but this time when I was wiping down the rear view mirror I must have twisted it because it came off the glass. All that was on the glass was a round metal ring, otherwise the mirror was just dangling by the electronic wires.

It looks easy enough to put back on but in fact it is not.

I think there must be some sort of spring-type of clip that fits into the metal ring on the windshield and mine (I think) is shot.

When I ask the local parts store guys they just look at me like I'm just some crazy woman.

Does anyone know what the name of this part is and have any hints on how to fix it?

The metal ring is usually attached to the windsheild with adhesive which most auto part stores carry .

The mirror itself uses a slide catch which slides over the metal ring and is usually has a screw catch to keep it securly in place.

I am not sure which one it off.

I have been trying to find a diagram of how that assembly goes together for a couple weeks, my mirror is a little loose. It is a good thing that the metal piece is still on the window, I had one come off on a different car and could never get it glued back on well, it's hard to glue things to glass. It sounds like you just need to get the mirror back on to the metal ring, most mirrors have a part that fits around the ring and then a set screw that once tightened holds it to the ring.

I have been holding off on messing with mine just because I don't want to break the plastic cover, I need to find out where the clips are that hold it on so I don't break it. Once it is out of the way it should be pretty easy to see how it attaches.

I would see if there is a piece that looks like it would fit around the ring, then look for a very small screw, it may have an allen head. The screw may need to be backed out a little, then slide the piece over the ring, then try tightening the screw until it holds the mirror on tight. If the plastic covers ares still on the mirror stem you may need to remove them to see the bracket/set screw.

Please let us know how it works out. Be glad the metal piece is still on the windshield, it shouldn't be that hard to get the mirror back on. Good luck -Dave

• 12 years later...

Just had a rear-ender and the rearview mirror fell off.  I was told that the metal ring on the wind shield cannot be replaced without replacing the windshield.  Can anyone verify this.  The ring is still on the windshield and is solid so do I really need to do this.  The mirror from what I see is fine.  The insurance company is refusing to replace "because there have been problems with this part".  If so, there should be a recall should there not?  Googling is not helping...does anyone know if there is a recall? Thanks if you respond