Roof Storage System

lx4704me

Need to add some additional storage capacity to my LX using the OEM roof rack. Has anyone purchased a weather tight, lockable-type container that mounts to the factory roof rack. I have seen Yakima brand storage systems mounted on top of some other SUVs, was wondering if Yakima or any other manufacturer made some sort of storage for our LX's?

Thanks.

fz.

Haven't seen anything like that. I would be hessitant to attach anything with significant load, to the factory racks. The capacity of the factory racks is typically pretty small (like 125 pounds) and with the wind drag/uplift/repeated load on the storage system, you might eventually rip that sucker off.

Rookie.

Excellent point Rookie.

About 100 lbs is about right. The OEM roof rack is held on by screws in the roof's sheet metal. It's not a very strong set up.

Using an aftermarket system like Thule or Yakima would work much better. The ones with posts that clamp to the rain gutter channels (assuming you have a LX 450) or ones that mount with gutterless connections (assuming you have a LX 470). These systems would withstand much more weight/uplift/drag than the factory racks.

Doug

I wonder if Toyota/Lexus offers a roof storage system that is compatible w/ their OEM roof rack? Is there an official web site that lists Toyota/Lexus parts? A 100 lb weight limit would not be a problem - just want to put some additional luggage into sometype of lockable weather tight closure.

Thanks.

fz.

Donno, I'd be suprised, but it's easy enough to call and find out. BTW, if they don't, and you decide to get something by Yakima or Thule, you might take a look on ebay. I just got a smoke'n deal on some A1 guttermount towers - unless you want new and money is not an object. Anything you would get from Toyota/Lexus would be big $$$. Probably better off with a legit. yakima or thule system. Just my opinion.

I know I've seem some make shift type things around out there that you could bolt to the factory rack, but they're real boxy looking. Again, alot of drag and load for a factory rack.

Later,

Rookie

• 2 months later...

Those are sweet racks but real spendy.

Along the same lines, Hannibal makes a rack and so does Kaymar (search for Tradesman).

These are all gutter mount racks (including the one at Sleeoffroad), which means they can hold much more than the OEM racks. I've known people to load up to 300 pounds on these racks -- although you need to be careful in turns or offroad with a load like that on the roof.

Doug

Need to add some additional storage capacity to my LX using the OEM roof rack.  Has anyone purchased a weather tight, lockable-type container that mounts to the factory roof rack.  I have seen Yakima brand storage systems mounted on top of some other SUVs, was wondering if Yakima or any other manufacturer made some sort of storage for our LX's? 

Thanks.

fz.

I will go pick up a Thule Cascade 1100 lockable rooftop box for my LX 470 this weekend - it will mount directly to the factory bars. I chose the Cascade 1100 (by the way there are numerous other lockable boxes that mount to the factory racks - made by Thule & Yakima) because it is light (~30 lbs) and slender...I can fit skis/snowboards/poles/boots in it in the winter and fly fishing gear with a sleeping bag or two for the summer yet not even get close to the maximum weight allowed. :cheers:

I have used the OLD Large Sears Model (Lockable) mounted to the Lexus factory rack with no problems. I have used this same box on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Durango & my LX 470. I try to keep the heavier / weather sensitive items inside the vehicle. I don't know if I have ever exceeded the recommended weight which (if I recall correctly) is printed on the Lexus roof rack on a sticker? I like the looks of the New Style Thule & Yakima boxes a LOT better but I believe I can probably put more Square footage / shorter items in my box :-? It is certianly nice to have the additional space when you need it and the narrower / longer roof storage boxes would probably allow you to put ski racks and the rooftop carrier on at the same time which is an option that I would NOT HAVE.

Hey, I have a 1997 450 that I have put a Yakima rack on. Right now, I have bike rack attachments but you can put pretty much any type of attachment once you get the cross poles on the car. Let me know if you have any questions. I have some pictures at www.cardomain.com/id/sharr51844. Steve

Need to add some additional storage capacity to my LX using the OEM roof rack. Has anyone purchased a weather tight, lockable-type container that mounts to the factory roof rack. I have seen Yakima brand storage systems mounted on top of some other SUVs, was wondering if Yakima or any other manufacturer made some sort of storage for our LX's?

Thanks.

fz.

The best container on the market is the Pack A Sport. http://www.mypackasport.com/

I have one for my LX 470 and it holds a ton of equipment, is aerodynamic, waterproof, and can be securly locked.

It's made out of fiberglass and carpeted in the interior. You can have it painted to match your vehicle.

The only downside is that it takes two to put it on and take it off. If you want the best, this is it.

George

I've been using an old Thule Frontier lockable cargo box on my LX470 factory racks. In the winter, I use it to transport skis and poles on our ski trips. A couple of nice things about having a cargo box is that the skis are protected from the elements, and I don't have to unload the skis since they are out of sight and the box can be locked. Less chance of theft if thieves don't know what you are carrying. In the summer, I use the cargo box to carry some light luggage, making sure that I don't exceed the load limit of the factory racks. I have not had any problems with the cargo box at all.

An interesting note, a coworker of mine had mentioned that when he mounted his cargo box on the factory racks on his GMC Yukon, he noticed that the cargo box would make a thumping sound when he drove it on the highway due to the lift caused by the wind. I have not had this problem at all on my cargo box. Hope this helps!