Transmission Problems

29palms

hello. ok i just changed my trans filter and fluid. i put all the bults back on exactly were there were and the new gasket it runs good but when i get goin like 80 it starts smoking and then i would slow down it would stop. whats wrong? why would it be doing that? did i do something wrong? please help. thanks u.

it was coastal dextrex. they gave it to me at auto zone

That's your problem. This is one time where the $130 at the dealership to have the system "flushed" with the proper fluild is well worth the money. If you don't have a Lexus dealership nearby, then find a Toyota dealership, as they too can flush the system. You want to FLUSH it, not "drain n' fill" it, as this will only address 2 quarts of the entire 9+ quart system. Flushing it will get all of the old out, and clean the screen, and replace it with the proper. I would do this pronto, before you do anymore potential damage to the transmission. There are two types of transmission fluid that appear to work in these cars (judging from all the posts on here that I've been a part of), 1) Aimsoil 2)Genuine Toyota OEM Type IV. All others seem to create problems. You've got some cheap, wrong, and potentially damaging fluid in there now that isn't working. The longer you drive with it in there, the closer you're going to come to a significant transmission failure, which will make that $130 look like candy money to repair. No question about it; you've got the wrong fluid. In this regard, it DOESN'T all taste like chicken, if you get my point.

what is detrex?

detrex = determined to wrex your transmission. ;)

so why would auto zone give me that if its the wrong one?

Because it's Auto Zone. There job is to move product, not give advice. If you don't believe us, just call any Toyota or Lexus dealership's service area and tell them what you've got going on and what type of transmission fluid you've got in the system. I'd be willing to bet $20 that they'll tell you exactly the same thing we're telling you, and they would be correct. Transmission fluids aren't as "generic" as motor oils. They're very specific, designed very specifically to operate in a very specific manner in a very specific environment. Think about all the switches, pressure plates, pressure points, rolling gears, solenoids, and gyro thingy mobops in an automatic transmission. They're more complicated than the engine itself.