Sticky Gas Pedal

Dave_02RX300

I found this in the ES300 Forum:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...96&hl=pedal

Sometimes, pushing the pedal takes a bit more force, from a stop, as if it is slightly stuck.

I have the same thing going on with my 2002 RX300 - Do you have any photos or other detailed descriptions of what you opened, cleaned, lubed and closed?

I read a post in this RX300 Forum that says it is all electronic, then another post about hesitation (not what I have). There must be some kind of linkages to lube for this - can't be all electronic, can it?

Thanks

-Dave

Sometimes, pushing the pedal takes a bit more force, from a stop, as if it is slightly stuck.

I have the same thing going on with my 2002 RX300 - Do you have any photos or other detailed descriptions of what you opened, cleaned, lubed and closed?

I read a post in this RX300 Forum that says it is all electronic, then another post about hesitation (not what I have). There must be some kind of linkages to lube for this - can't be all electronic, can it?

Thanks

-Dave

Dave, My wife's '02 Camry has DBW (drive by wire), meaning no throttle cable but from earlier discussion on this or another Lexus site, I don't think your '02 Lexus was DBW until maybe '04. Which all means you have throttle cable and linkage. You should be able to spray some lube into the actual cable from the end under the hood. (You may have to pull a rubber boot back) Then I would check the linkage under the hood. The is a fairly good chance it is the throttle body and I would personally take it off and take the opportunity to clean the IACV (idle air control valve) at the same time. You can spry cleaner into the throat of the throttle body and free the throttle plates but I've found it's best to do it right if you want lasting results. Good Luck!

Thanks

-Dave

Dave, My wife's '02 Camry has DBW (drive by wire), meaning no throttle cable but from earlier discussion on this or another Lexus site, I don't think your '02 Lexus was DBW until maybe '04. Which all means you have throttle cable and linkage. You should be able to spray some lube into the actual cable from the end under the hood. (You may have to pull a rubber boot back) Then I would check the linkage under the hood. The is a fairly good chance it is the throttle body and I would personally take it off and take the opportunity to clean the IACV (idle air control valve) at the same time. You can spry cleaner into the throat of the throttle body and free the throttle plates but I've found it's best to do it right if you want lasting results. Good Luck!

Also,spray silicone around the throttle plate(out side of the air plentium,where the small springs are) where the throttle cable ends.

Thanks - I will look for the linkages under the hood - I took a quick look yesterday but didn't see anything obvious - so I will check the pictures in the manuals and on-line pictures.

I had the IAC replaced about 1.5 years ago, when the (Certified PreOwned) warranty was still in effect. That was replaced because of a starting issue (well documented in the forums). The pedal had the same stickiness before and after.

Thanks

-Dave

• 1 year later...

Update: I never found anything specifically wrong. The linkages looked OK. I did not take it to a dealer (although if something is wrong, I am not removing Toyota's liability :whistles: ) The issue seems to have gone away for now.

Buy a carb cleaner, and spray and clean the throttle body. I had the same problem, and after doing so the car is going like new. Problem solved.

You need to take out the filter box and tubes, very easy.

Spray the throttle body, cleaning and mount it again.

You have some posts talking about this matter or replacing the idle valve with pics, but it is really easy.

• 4 months later...

Update: I never found anything specifically wrong. The linkages looked OK. I did not take it to a dealer (although if something is wrong, I am not removing Toyota's liability :whistles: ) The issue seems to have gone away for now.

I agree that they should be held liable. I started my 2000 RX300 on one 12 degree morning w/o warming it up. I approached the stop sign at the end of my street. A town cop passed and I turned on road behind him. I crested the hill in the road and let my foot off the pedal as I was approaching a curve then red light where cop was waiting for green light. THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT STOP AND I WAS GOING TO HIT THE COP WAITING AT THE LIGHT!!!!! THE VEHICLE ENGINE WANTED TO OVERCOME THE BRAKES! I THREW IT IN NEUTRAL AND IT SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS GOING TO BLOW UP! I PULLED OVER WHILE IN NEUTRAL AND SHUT IT DOWN. I GASPED FOR AIR, AND FIGURED WITH IT IN PARK I'D START IT BACK UP. UPON STARTING IT BACK UP, IT WAS REVVING ITS BALLS OFF AGAIN! I DEPRESSED THE PEDAL AND IT WASN'T STUCK. SHUT IT DOWN AGAIN. PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AGAIN AND PUSHED IT (BY MYSELF) INTO A PARKING LOT TO GET IT OFF THE ROAD. BOY THAT IS EMBARRASSING, PUSHING A LUXURY CAR! ANYWAY, AFTER RESTARTING THE FOURTH TIME IT IDLED NORMALLY. I WAS NERVOUS DRIVING THE CAR FOR A WHILE. I REPORTED IT TO LEXUS BUT NOTHING CAME OF IT. I REALLY WANTED TO GIVE THEM A HEAD UP. I THINK THAT IT WAS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM TO BE HONEST. IT DIDN'T SEEM MECHANICAL IN NATURE AT ALL. THAT WAS ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO AND IT HASN'T HAPPENED SINCE. I told my wife to let the thing warm up especially on cold mornings and to be cognizant of the potential WFO throttle condition.