Brake Pads

Jim Pond

The dealer replaced my rear pads a 19k I just hit 40k and they seem to be ok when I had the oil changed at around 35k they checked out ok.

Something was not right with the original pads that came with the car as seems to be the case on most of the 07 ES's.

Sorry! I posted the message before I found the previous thread - and related TSIB No. BR004-06. Will see if the dealer honors the TSIB (Front brakes are at 9mm and rears are at 2.5mm).

They should honor it, mine had the same thing at about the same mileage. They changed the rears out for me at no charge to me.

• 1 month later...
Sorry! I posted the message before I found the previous thread - and related TSIB No. BR004-06. Will see if the dealer honors the TSIB (Front brakes are at 9mm and rears are at 2.5mm).

They should honor it, mine had the same thing at about the same mileage. They changed the rears out for me at no charge to me.

How did you get Lexus to honor the warranty? The local dealer claims there is new TSIB and the wear is normal. I don't care what they say, rear brake replacement at 35K is BS.

I have escalated this to the national customer service center. This is my first and last Lexus. After 35K miles, I am averaging over $100/month on scheduled maint, new tires and now another $300 for new rear brakes. :angry:

I just took it in, told them that there was a strange sound coming from the back tires. They said the brakes were prematurely worn to the alarms (you would get in or out of the car and you could hear it) and replaced them without even asking me. And, they did not charge me. I must have a good dealer rep.

I took my car in for service yesterday and was talking to a guy who was having his rear brakes replaced at 30K, and he as a 2007.

I discussed the packages with my service rep and he said that the rear brakes on the '08 usually need replacement around 20K.

I took my car in for service yesterday and was talking to a guy who was having his rear brakes replaced at 30K, and he as a 2007.

I discussed the packages with my service rep and he said that the rear brakes on the '08 usually need replacement around 20K.

Wouldn't that depend on what kind of driving an owner does? Stop and go in the city versus open cruising? For example, 2/3 of my 30 mile commute each way is spent trying to avoid speeding tickets and I have long lead time for the exit rather than wearing out break pads with starts and stops.

For a service rep to make a blanket statement either no one has open highway where you live or he is setting the ground out to change wear parts as often as possible.

I would consider myself a very normal city driver. I have 16k miles on my 08 and at my 15k service they said I had 9mm remaining all around (which is still weird to me that the rear brakes are wearing at the same rate as the front), I think they start at 12mm and need to be replaced at 4mm? If this holds true it looks like I will need brakes around the 35-40k miles range. Just my example.

Wouldn't that depend on what kind of driving an owner does? Stop and go in the city versus open cruising? For example, 2/3 of my 30 mile commute each way is spent trying to avoid speeding tickets and I have long lead time for the exit rather than wearing out break pads with starts and stops.

For a service rep to make a blanket statement either no one has open highway where you live or he is setting the ground out to change wear parts as often as possible.

Based on the mileage quoted by the previous posters, I'd say 20K sounds about right.

My thing is that I would like to have been told that before I purchased the car (fat chance), along with the fact that my car rolls backwards 2-3 inches every time I turn off the engine. Oh well, just some of the joys in life.

I would consider myself a very normal city driver. I have 16k miles on my 08 and at my 15k service they said I had 9mm remaining all around (which is still weird to me that the rear brakes are wearing at the same rate as the front), I think they start at 12mm and need to be replaced at 4mm? If this holds true it looks like I will need brakes around the 35-40k miles range. Just my example.

My 07 ES is the only car that I have seen in my life that had to have the rear brakes replaced at 19K and its because the pad material is of poor quialty.

Rear brakes should last at least 50K and its not uncommon to see 80 to 100K , in fact its impossible to wear out the rear pads on any car at 19k if they

are of good quialty no matter how you may drive.