Updating Es350 Nav Map

Bob Mack

I am getting confusing information from my dealer on how to update my 2008 ES350 NAV Map. The dealer says, " purchase the new Generation 5 ver 8.1 DVD and replace the old the DVD, using the control buttons on the NAV screen. Well I haven't bought the DVD yet, but I tried to remove the DVD from screen controls, it shows a DVD screen, with a remove button, but indicates there is no DVD installed. So how does this work? Bob Mack

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought my 2009 ES 350 in Dec and the map is so out of date. There are lots of neighborhoods with missing streets and they have been in existence for over 10 years. Why in the world do they make it so you have to buy a handheld gps to find stuff while you are driving. I can't see well enough to drive so I am always a passenger. I would like to adjust the map when we are moving. They have a light that detects that you have a passenger why can't they let you change while moving while a passenger is in car. I really like the map system other than I can't change while moving and it is missing lots of streets that have been around a long time. I just moved and it thinks there are streets where there are none as well. Why can't they get decent map data. People who buy a lexus have a choice we can get other cars for the same price with better maps.

I just bought my 2009 ES 350 in Dec and the map is so out of date. There are lots of neighborhoods with missing streets and they have been in existence for over 10 years. Why in the world do they make it so you have to buy a handheld gps to find stuff while you are driving.

Besides my Lexus NAV system, I also use my Garmin GPS, both with the most current map updates. Sometimes the Lexus NAV has the points of interest I'm looking for, and the Garmin doesn't, and visa versa. This also holds true when trying to locate streets.

This depends on the companies that create the mapping data.

They have a light that detects that you have a passenger why can't they let you change while moving while a passenger is in car.

Now, that would be a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not accurate system. I've been in my house for over 2 years (new build) and the Nav system in my RX '10 still doesn't recognize that my home exists...then again neither does Mapquest or Streets USA.

• 2 weeks later...
They have a light that detects that you have a passenger why can't they let you change while moving while a passenger is in car.

I think you guys are forgetting that they haven't invented a light yet that can tell if only the passenger is playing with the screen. My girlfriend and I had the same disscusion.

• 1 month later...

I think you guys are forgetting that they haven't invented a light yet that can tell if only the passenger is playing with the screen. My girlfriend and I had the same disscusion.

This whole "lock out the navigation system if you are moving" thing is the reason I will never purchase a lexus again. Don't get me wrong, I generally love my car, but any company that impliments such a stupid system obviously is (1) more worried about what the lawyers say than the engineers and (2) is out of touch with the needs of their customer base.

I can put a Garmin, TomTom or any other GPS unit in the car and use it when the car is motion. Why not the built-in lexus one? Older nav dvd's had a bypass code you could enter to enable the unit all the time. They removed it.

Lets not get started on the lockouts again, theres a really long thread about that subject. As I've said until my fingers hurt in that thread, its not only Lexus by far that has these lockouts, its most carmakers and there are only a couple left that don't have them and I bet within the next couple years they'll have lockouts too.

The reason why not the Lexus one when you can operate a TomTom while moving? Because thats not Lexus' liability that you put a TomTom, a peice of non-OEM equipment in the car. The "bypass code" was never for owners to access, it was buried in a hidden service menu and was designed for use when a technician was servicing and calibrating the GPS.

To bring everyone up to speed...

Anyways the map quality varies a lot depending on where you live. I've never had any problems here, even with old outdated maps. The new '09 map (your '09 has series '08 maps) comes out in October, I would ask the dealer to give you a warranty update and see if it helps your problem. I've heard of them doing that before...

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue..

Can you help me as well.

You may be confusing the dvd/cd changer for the dvd drive with the navigation dvd. They are two separate systems. I'll send you an email with more info.

• 2 years later...

No, its a hard drive system like in our 2010s. Its not "over the air", the update comes on a USB stick and its done that way. Updates for ours still come out in October alongside the DVDs for the older systems.