Free Brake Pads?

Okay I had my brake pads changed yesterday to these replacement ones that don't give off as much brake dust. I TOTALLY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE. Mind you, I shouldn't complain since I only had about 20% life left in my old pads. But once these new pads wear out I am definately going back to the original pads, the braking power on those was awesome. Now I have to drop more weight on the pedal to get the same response

New pads will take a few miles to bed in properly. I'm not saying that's why you're feeling a difference (because I admit I felt NO difference with the TSIB replacements), but let us know after about 100-200 miles. By the way, did they replace your rotors? That could be the difference, too.

All comments or questions regarding brake pad performance should be referred to Sir Knightshade. :rolleyes:

Didn't he invent the brake?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to beat a old thread with a stick, but i just came back from the dealership with 13222 mileage and they refused to replace my brakes for free. They said the brakes i have right now are worn down to the metal. Should i just get them replaced out of pocket or try another lexus dealer near me? Thanks for the help!

I don't think the program will replace the pads if they are worn below a certain thickness.

that sucks considering excessive brake dust comes from over wearing the brake pads, so worn brakes is part of the problem...

The TSB is just like a warranty item--they won't replace parts due to normal wear and tear. I think if you paid to normally replace the OEM pads, THEN came back to do the TSB, they'd have to do it free THEN.

I don't think the program will replace the pads if they are worn below a certain thickness.

that sucks considering excessive brake dust comes from over wearing the brake pads, so worn brakes is part of the problem...

Maybe though another dealer might do it for you in order to get your future service business. It might be worth a try.

Just do them yourself. I just did my brakes this past weekend and it's sickenly easy on the 350, I was suprised. I took the rotors off and had them resurfaced, cost $18 for the pair, brake pads cost about $60, overall it was an $80 job and my brakes are better than they were before. I had a slight warp in the front rotors and they are now fixed to perfection. FYI I used the Duralast Gold pads from Autozone, it's the best ceramic pads they make and I couldn't be happier.

• 1 month later...

I just wasted a trip to the dealer today for them to tell me my brakes were too worn to get free ones under the TSB (35k miles). Ok. So then they quoted me $600 for a brake job, saying that since the rotors that come on the IS are "non-turnable" I have to replace pads and rotors. Anyone know anything about this?

Great to know, that black dust is a b*tch. Gonna get my front pads replaced, but I noticed it says not to expect the same performance. Think I should stick w/my current pads? Wonder how much life is left in 'em...

replacement pads work the same. if your pads are too worn, they will NOT replace them for free under the TSIB. The TSIB works like the warranty does--items in need of replacement due to normal wear and tear are not covered.

Just an FYI...

It really depends on the dealer. I just took my '08 in for another issue, (broken wheel and destroyed tire from road debris, but that's another story!), and while it was there, I asked if they could do the brake TSB. My car has a little over 13k on the clock, but they warranted the pads anyway. They did advise that I have the rotors replaced, but I opted to pass on that, at least at the dealer.

I just wasted a trip to the dealer today for them to tell me my brakes were too worn to get free ones under the TSB (35k miles). Ok. So then they quoted me $600 for a brake job, saying that since the rotors that come on the IS are "non-turnable" I have to replace pads and rotors. Anyone know anything about this?

Apparently, according to the dealer, the rotors come stock at a pretty close tolerance, and as a result, need to be replaced at each brake service. Smart from the manufacturer's standpoint. A small amount less steel per rotor, times x amount of rotors = more money in pocket, not to mention a few hundred dollars to replace the rotors each time.

Ahhh... the wonders of planned obsolescence!!

Just do them yourself. I just did my brakes this past weekend and it's sickenly easy on the 350, I was suprised. I took the rotors off and had them resurfaced, cost $18 for the pair, brake pads cost about $60, overall it was an $80 job and my brakes are better than they were before. I had a slight warp in the front rotors and they are now fixed to perfection. FYI I used the Duralast Gold pads from Autozone, it's the best ceramic pads they make and I couldn't be happier.

That's really good to know! I'm curious did the shop say anything about the rotors being very close to minimal tolerance once they were turned?

There is a spec on the rotor thickness in the tech manual. If they can be turned and stay within tolerance, they usually will be. If you go out and heat em up and warp really badly, they aren't worth turning anyway. It kinda depends on the driver.

Went in this morning and complained about the excessive black brake dust, no problems getting them to cover it under warranty. Decided to delay them actually changing them a few weeks - Has anyone noticed an obvious difference in braking performance after having them changed? With the pads that are on right now I find the braking superior to any vehicle I have ever driven.

Which dealer are you using?

It is true, but the officer from the service dept at Longo Lexus told me that cuz the material, it will make squeeking noise (which i dont really understnd), im still waiting to worn my breaks more than go change it, hope this help

Hi Guys;

I read on another Forum that Lexus will change out the brake pads on '05 - '07 IS's if you tell them they create too much dust and you want the less dusty

pads.

This true in your experience?

Thanks... Saddlebum

Great to know, that black dust is a b*tch. Gonna get my front pads replaced, but I noticed it says not to expect the same performance. Think I should stick w/my current pads? Wonder how much life is left in 'em...

replacement pads work the same. if your pads are too worn, they will NOT replace them for free under the TSIB. The TSIB works like the warranty does--items in need of replacement due to normal wear and tear are not covered.

Just an FYI...

It really depends on the dealer. I just took my '08 in for another issue, (broken wheel and destroyed tire from road debris, but that's another story!), and while it was there, I asked if they could do the brake TSB. My car has a little over 13k on the clock, but they warranted the pads anyway. They did advise that I have the rotors replaced, but I opted to pass on that, at least at the dealer.

Well, of course they did. 13,000 mi on your brake pads is not near the normal replacement time.

Just an FYI...

Well, of course they did. 13,000 mi on your brake pads is not near the normal replacement time.

Makes sense, but it still seemed like a lot of miles for them to do the TSB fix... and as some have found, a few dealers will not do it with that many miles. I drive pretty aggressively, and I'm sure that my pads were pretty worn.