Transmission Hesitation

When my car is stone cold, it sometimes takes a half mile or so to shift into overdrive then it's ok. It's a '96 ES300 with 156k miles, been babied and not abused. I changed the ATF completely with Toyota fluid when I bought it used at 85k; drain 3 quarts ATF and refill ever other oil change. Oh, dropped the trans pan and changed the filter and fluid at 120k. I use a magnetic inline ATF filter per a LOC contributor, changed periodically. It only does this delayed upshift to overdrive from stone cold, and infrequently. But it annoys the heck out of me as it happens. Is this just an age/wear thing with the autotrans, should I not be concerned, or is it possibly a part hinting fatigue? After a fruitless search here, thought I would ask for advice. Thanks to all.

:cheers:

same problem here after a complete tranny rebuilt. the bad tranny didn't really have this problem. someone told me this is actually normal. the tranny temp sensor keeps the tranny from going into another gear when it's cold. i notice this problem when it's really cold outside. on warmer days or leaving later in the morning, no such problem.

you can add about 1/4 - 1/2 more quart of ATF into the tranny to give a bit more pressure to switch gear when cold. that seems to improve the shifting a little during cold operation.