Trunk Leaks

chubyball

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem when I first bought my '95 used. Turned out for me that the problem was driving with the moon roof partially open- I thought that at the speed I was going the water wouldn't get in-duh!

Just pulled the plugs in the bottom of my swimming pool, let it dry-and DIDN'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Three years later I have a NEW problem. Seem to get a leak under or behind the back seat left hand side, and on the carpet. Anyone else ever have a problem with that? It's happened even when I let the car sit- I didn't leave the window open!

I'm in the process of pulling out the seats now to let them dry....

Another ? I've found the 2 front drain holes for the sun roof, but don't see where the additional holes are. Could someone tell me???

Thanks,

Maddog

ps- No trace of water or staining on roof liner- Leak has gotta' be oozing from somewhere else...

-------------------------

'95 LS400 210,000 miles. Daily driver, runs like a clock. 2nd tranny though.

'88 944 Guards Red Porsche Turbo ("Lucille") with chip and boost enhancer. For sale (alas).

'89 944 Red Turbo S. ("red haze"). My track car...can't keep 'em both.

• 3 months later...
Hey All: I had a similar issue with my 98, when I purchased it at the end of last year with only 23K miles. At first, I had no idea the trunk had any leaking issue. I noticed a musty/moldy smell whenever I opened the trunk up, and it was irratating as hell! The inside smelled pretty new for a 10yr old car. I ended up tearing apart the trunk to figure out where it was coming from. First I checked the water vents (not sure if thats what their called, but they basically let water drain that may get in from road), on each side to make sure there was no clog. Then I sprayed the car from the outside with water down the cracks on the trunk. Sure enough, one side was leaking and going to the bottom via the side wall. I went to Home Depot and bought some silicone, and siliconed the entire seal/lining back onto the car. Let it dry, and after a week tested it out again to make sure the leak had gone. Took me over 2 weeks of spraying the trunk with lysol and cleaning the entire area by filling up a spray bottle of bleach and water, to get the nasty smell out. Thank God the smell left and the trunk is dry! Good luck! :lol:

My 93 LS400 leaks somewhere around the tail light area and mysteriously travels through the back panel below the trunk lid. There is a small wiring harness that runs across this panel. My leak is through what appears to be one of several tiny vents below this harness. I can see where it traveled to the wheel well and to the right side well below the changer. need to find the leak spot is around the tail light.

• 1 month later...
I had the same problem when I first bought my '95 used. Turned out for me that the problem was driving with the moon roof partially open- I thought that at the speed I was going the water wouldn't get in-duh!

Just pulled the plugs in the bottom of my swimming pool, let it dry-and DIDN'T DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Three years later I have a NEW problem. Seem to get a leak under or behind the back seat left hand side, and on the carpet. Anyone else ever have a problem with that? It's happened even when I let the car sit- I didn't leave the window open!

I'm in the process of pulling out the seats now to let them dry....

Another ? I've found the 2 front drain holes for the sun roof, but don't see where the additional holes are. Could someone tell me???

Thanks,

Maddog

ps- No trace of water or staining on roof liner- Leak has gotta' be oozing from somewhere else...

-------------------------

'95 LS400 210,000 miles. Daily driver, runs like a clock. 2nd tranny though.

'88 944 Guards Red Porsche Turbo ("Lucille") with chip and boost enhancer. For sale (alas).

'89 944 Red Turbo S. ("red haze"). My track car...can't keep 'em both.

1Maddog, my drain holes were completely stopped up when I bought my 93LS400. First I boiled water on the stove and slowly poured it in the front holes and they started draining. I did the same by elevating the front of the car and poured hot water in the channel since you can't see the drain holes. Then, I got some Clorox Cleanup and poured it in each hole/channel and flushed it out after a couple of minutes. Man, they drain like crazy! As for water in my trunk, I removed the upholstered side panels, located the clear drain hoses and replaced them with new ones about 2 " longer just to make sure they weren't leaking or overflowing into the trunk. I also flushed out those air/water vents on both sides above the small wells. Now, if I can only completely seal my tail lights. Tried silicone + new rubber washers around studs, but still a small leak!

• 5 months later...