Racing The Ls? Don't Forget To Drop $300 Every 5k Miles!

Mrgimme

Ok so I pull up to a light to turn on a freeway and an Accord is next to me.

We are both turning left and I figure I SHOULD be first in the forced merge ahead to one lane.

I gun it a little but damn if that little Accord with a V6 didn't zip right by me... No I was not sport shifting or really even pushing that hard- but enough excuses I pushed the button on my rear "shame blind" and sunk in my seat.

Also I was originally attracted to this car with all the "I have 100k with only gas an oil stories..."

Now I see the maintenance schedule is every 5000 miles! I am coming up on 30K should I just get the oil changed or "find another car payment" so the dealer can fill the windshield reservoir?

If you were going to race the Accord you should have floored it, not p*ssy footed it LOL. :D

These cars are very expensive to maintain if you take them to the dealership. If you're not a DIY type of guy, my recommendation is find a good independent mechanic that is experienced with servicing Lexus, or take it to your local Toyota dealership. Chances are the Toyota dealership will be cheaper than the Lexus dealership.

Not very expensive to maintain.

And uhh.... an Accord (even v6) has no chance to hang with a 430.

Maybe add a little weight to those petite feet of yours? :lol: :lol: lol

As a long time DIY kind of guy, The LS is by far the easiest car to "read" as far as basic maintanance and mechanical work goes, not to mention the most reliable!

Honda Accord huh...my wife drives an 2002 Acoord EX V6, by far no slow poke, but only 200hp and 175 torque...it cannot handle any year LS.

next time....Smoke em.

so far, ive taken -

anything Honda, even the Civic Si's....please!

Haundai Tiburan's are fun to beat!! only 176HP

all mazda's cept for the RX-8 and Murai...ill never see one of those in my lifetime!

Got smoked by:

the new Genesis

Most new Mercedes 500 and 700 series...and newest BMW's as well. but i give them a run for thier money anyways!

Dont be afraid to push the LS, you wont break it...and the deal with the 5k maintainance schedule is just

"guidlines". the Basics is all you need to worry about till its time for the Timing belt change.

:D

Not very expensive to maintain.

And uhh.... an Accord (even v6) has no chance to hang with a 430.

Says the guy who is spending big bucks on an issue that is non-existent on even a Honda Accord!

A new Accord V6 will absolutely blow the doors off of an LS430.

Honda Accord huh...my wife drives an 2002 Acoord EX V6, by far no slow poke, but only 200hp and 175 torque...it cannot handle any year LS.
A 2002 Accord V6 could easily take on a '90-'94 LS.

Keep in mind the current Accord V6 has 271 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque and weighs at least 200-300 pounds less than the LS.

Keep in mind the current Accord V6 has 271 horsepower and 254 lb-ft of torque and weighs at least 200-300 pounds less than the LS.

ok, i admit i never have driven a 90-94 LS, but i know for sure the 95 and up LS will outrun the accords up to the 06' V6 model. 98 LS and up will give the new Accords a run for the money.

also, its according to your racing/passing style too -

The New Accords cant hang with the new LS460's. a totally different animal altogether.

Sorry, I had to laugh. How do you "sport shift" in an LS? It's an automatic for crying out loud!:lol:

Excuse me- I thought when you slid over to the S position on the shifter you control the shifting, My wife has a TL with the same thing! Am I wrong?

I was more p*ssy footed (in my 04 LS) than I care to admit (I might have peed a little when I heard the V8 ROAR and I started thinkin about ruining that sweet leather) and another big factor is that I was on the inside making a left and then attempting to jump on it, instantly fearing that the centrifugal force could push me into him. So I straddled the shoulder but let up while he just continued his "punch it pass move" with nothing but 2 lanes to his right and me a car length behind on the left.

It definitely seemed like a newer Accord with a V6 but it seemed easily like he had 1000 pounds less car. Thanks for all the tips. But I think I would rather have a longevity trophy!

I do have a few kills myself. I beat a new Chevy Malibu (probably a 4cylinder) loaded up with kids who was trying to prevent me from merging into his lane. Unfortunately he was loaded up with 3 other friends. He must've been really embarrassed.

I figure if you're going to try to show off, do it 100% or not at all. Plenty of slow cars driving at 100% can beat your Lexus when you're only giving it 70%.

I did not know that they had an S position for the LS430, but now I know. Why they have it I'm not sure.

but i know for sure the 95 and up LS will outrun the accords up to the 06' V6 model.

I dunno about that. I drove an '05 Accord V6 for two years or so, and that car definitely seemed a lot faster than my LS does.

The UCF20 I's weight and 4-speed automatic are really what hold it back.

I NEVER use less than full power if I get a street race. I have age and treachery on my side for sure, but there is NO excuse for not burying the throttle.

On the inside of the turn your radius would have been smaller, and you'd have made short work of the Honda.

I even brake torque the GS a bit - and find it traction limited in the dry when I do - but I don't lose races.

So mash the pedal, or turn in your man card.

but i know for sure the 95 and up LS will outrun the accords up to the 06' V6 model.

I dunno about that. I drove an '05 Accord V6 for two years or so, and that car definitely seemed a lot faster than my LS does.

The UCF20 I's weight and 4-speed automatic are really what hold it back.

I guess the guys with the Accords i trounced on for trying to pass me needs to turn in thier mancards then!!! :lol:

true, the weight of the car and the slushbox dont make it a great "off the line" car, but it does a good job in it's class.

I had a 68 cadillac de'ville once with a 475 cubic block rated at 325 Horsepower and a 3 speed Tranny, that boat could float down the road pretty fast! it was suprisingly a quick car, despite it wieghed as much as a full size truck.

Question for the gear heads: Is the heads on these Toyota/Lexus V8's interchangeable? for instance are the Blocks all the same design with the increase in Liters only in the heads? can the heads off a 2000 LS fit on a 95 LS Block?? the Horsepower increase always seem to be improvements in the Head design.

In a takeoff in my experience the accord will take it off the line. Never raced a brand new one but still. After that it appears that the accord is slowing down and by 40-60 they are overtaken. So higher top speed for the LS, slower line-takeoff.

Yes, Accord V6's are quick. But even a new one IMO wouldn't have the top end pull of even a 90-94 LS

You're right, the Accord would have even more. :lol:

Lol, are you drunk?????? haha

The LS would beat and Accord like a red-headed step child!!!! :D :D :D :D

Are you in the right forum son? ;)

:cheers:

Yes, Accord V6's are quick. But even a new one IMO wouldn't have the top end pull of even a 90-94 LS

You're right, the Accord would have even more. :lol:

Lol, are you drunk?????? haha

The LS would beat and Accord like a red-headed step child!!!! :D :D :D :D

Are you in the right forum son? ;)

:cheers:

You must be blinded by that "L" badge on your grill. :P

I tend to give credit where credit is due. The 2009 Accord V6 is a very quick car. I would love to see you try to drag race one!

On the inside of the turn your radius would have been smaller, and you'd have made short work of the Honda.
But the LS is no good at making turns!

:P oh yes it is too!! aint nothin' like Hard-Cornering in a squirly turn in a full size Luxury Vehicle! i did that at lunch coming off a small 35mph turnpike hitting Traffic Flow at 80+! i bet my front left skirt kissed the asphalt once or twice...

...thats why i need new Bushings and Shocks! :rolleyes:

Pure Drifter has a $1500 L-Sportline coil over suspension for sale for $450 ;)

...wow....thats really an awesome deal, I priced close to $500 for my replacements..if he still has it in 2 months ill jump on it, but i would seriously doubt it. <_<

Thanks for the Heads-up anyways!!

Hey...you guys think i could change my name to Accord-Killer? :lol: