Shift Flare Es 350

wineluver

My 350 purchased in Aug 06 started experiencing shift flare early on. This topic has been discussed at length. After the dealer telling me they could not duplicate the flare numerous times I found the TSIB bulletin TC005-07 that covers this issue. once i brought it in a showed it to the service mgr. they did the TCM reflash and the problem actually got worse. Finally they agreed to replace the trans axle and on April 10th I dropped it off. two days later I picked it up. The next morning, when the usually happens, it was gone. However, now it shifts like my wifes Civic, and hesitates before downshifing etc. So I checked the service order, and now i think they never did replace the trans axle. Can anyone out there read a lexus repair sheet? On the sheet they have "CU/STS TRANSMISSION SHUDDERS IN AM" which is BS as I always stated it flares by as much as 1000 RPM. then it says "CAUSE: POOR PROGRAMMING" The part number is 8953033041 which according the the TSIB is the Computer, Transmission Control (TCM) not the trans axle which is part number 30510-33530. So am I right? I think they just replaced the TCM, but they told me they replaced the entire trans axle. Any help on this would be appreciated. I will leave the dealers name out for now, as they have always given me great service, but I won't hesitate to let you all know.

Wineluver

My 350 purchased in Aug 06 started experiencing shift flare early on. This topic has been discussed at length. After the dealer telling me they could not duplicate the flare numerous times I found the TSIB bulletin TC005-07 that covers this issue. once i brought it in a showed it to the service mgr. they did the TCM reflash and the problem actually got worse. Finally they agreed to replace the trans axle and on April 10th I dropped it off. two days later I picked it up. The next morning, when the usually happens, it was gone. However, now it shifts like my wifes Civic, and hesitates before downshifing etc. So I checked the service order, and now i think they never did replace the trans axle. Can anyone out there read a lexus repair sheet? On the sheet they have "CU/STS TRANSMISSION SHUDDERS IN AM" which is BS as I always stated it flares by as much as 1000 RPM. then it says "CAUSE: POOR PROGRAMMING" The part number is 8953033041 which according the the TSIB is the Computer, Transmission Control (TCM) not the trans axle which is part number 30510-33530. So am I right? I think they just replaced the TCM, but they told me they replaced the entire trans axle. Any help on this would be appreciated. I will leave the dealers name out for now, as they have always given me great service, but I won't hesitate to let you all know.

Wineluver

seems to me they just replaced the TCM. In most cases this should fix the issue but if not, there is something else going on. If there is no statement in wrting in relation to a transaxle replacement then they did not replace the transaxle. If anything, bring this issue up with lexus Corporate and have them help you with this. Also try going to another Lexus dealer.

Thanks. Turns out they did replace the transaxle but the problem is now worse. The service manager says it just need more trans fluid. We'll see.

Wineluver

seems to me they just replaced the TCM. In most cases this should fix the issue but if not, there is something else going on. If there is no statement in wrting in relation to a transaxle replacement then they did not replace the transaxle. If anything, bring this issue up with lexus Corporate and have them help you with this. Also try going to another Lexus dealer.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this will directly answer your question, but I will share my recent experience.

I had a problem with shift flare. The first time I reported it (at 5K service), the dealer added extra transmission fluid, but that didn't help. It started happening more frequently, so I complained again at my 20K mile service. This time, the dealer "reprogrammed" the transmission (their terminology) which was covered by warranty. I haven't had any problem with transmission flare since and now I have almost 24K miles on the car.

I'm not sure if this will directly answer your question, but I will share my recent experience.

I had a problem with shift flare. The first time I reported it (at 5K service), the dealer added extra transmission fluid, but that didn't help. It started happening more frequently, so I complained again at my 20K mile service. This time, the dealer "reprogrammed" the transmission (their terminology) which was covered by warranty. I haven't had any problem with transmission flare since and now I have almost 24K miles on the car.

I thought did was issue with '07s that was addressed in cars manufactured later. I say that because I've noticed that shift flare a few times on my 08 with about 13000 km's. I guess I'll bring up the issue at the next maintenance appointment...