More Sound

lasik124

Hey guys i have a 91 LS400. I was wondering what would be a nice cheap easy way to get better sound (if there is one lol). I have seen taking the resonators out but what will give it that low grumble when i turn it on compared to the almost nothing i hear now lol. Any Suggestions ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are willing to spend a few hundred dollars...

Get a full exhaust system. From the cats back. 2 1/4" piping

If you are not willing to spend money on a full exhaust system.. Just do the muffler delete.

haha yaa i dont have that type of money ( just bought some new rims for it and a subwoofer for the destroyed one) but what is the cheapest thing to do. i saw you could take out the resenators but what would i have to do and how much would it cost for the cheapest thing to get the best sound of the V8 under the hood. i am up for any suggestions

I just went through a similar situation when one of my mufflers went out. I chose to go with the custom route just to get a little more sound for my buck. You won't notice much of a difference by removing the resonators. The mufflers on these cars are very restrictive and will still keep the car very quiet. But on the other hand removing the mufflers and leaving the resonators in the car will result in a much sportier sounding car. Resonators are very similar to a glass pack and there for sound very good on their own. My mechanic quoted me $150 to remove the mufflers and throw on 2 sections of pipe with some chrome tips. But he only wanted $100 more to do a full custom job so I settled for that.

On a side note since I did my exhaust I now get on average 4-5 mpg better. So I figure its gonna pay itself off long before I want to get rid of the car.

Interesting about the Muffler Delete...you guys should Record or Video these modifications, so others can decide if they want to do the same! i admit the LS sounds Bad-A** in the High RPM Range, even with the Mufflers and resonators! B) i havent heard an LS round here with deletion of either parts.

hahah well put ! :cheers:

how long did it take you?

haha do you have pictures you can post to where you took everything off and what you did?

i will deff post up videos if i can get around doing this. i want to try it by myself seeing how it will be worth it for free.

No... no pictures considering this was +3 years ago.

It literally is as simple as taking out 2 bolts and a rubber hanger.... and setting the muffler on the floor....

Have you looked under your car yet??

I have NEVER worked on any car's exhaust where the bolts weren't completely seized and rusted. You'll have to constantly spray the bolts with PB Blaster for an entire week twice a day, and even then, they might not come off. You may have to cut them off and have new studs welded in.

I would also advise against just removing the mufflers and not replacing them with some sort of pipe. You do not want hot exhaust coming out right underneath your gas tank or trunk. Best of luck!

haha ohh sorry i didn't know if it was recent. i have sorta looked under my car nd i sorta know mayb waht your talking about haha but am i allowed to just go no muffler if were to get the car inspected or do i need like a hiflow muffler ?

IIRC you have 2 cats 1 resonator and 4 mufflers...

Some people think it's a bad idea to have the exhaust exit right under the car...which probably isn't the BEST thing, but whatever, I had no problems! :lol:

IIRC you have 2 cats 1 resonator and 4 mufflers...

Some people think it's a bad idea to have the exhaust exit right under the car...which probably isn't the BEST thing, but whatever, I had no problems! :lol:

Its 2 cats, 1 straight through resonator, 2 more resonators and finally 2 mufflers just before your exhaust tips.

Removing the mufflers at the point mention would be a very easy job to do for a free sound upgrade. However leaving your exhaust like that and not putting on a section of exhaust pipe to the back of the car can be very dangerous.

Let him learn the hard way. :lol: :lol:

I don't know what state everyone else lives in, but where I live, you need to have a muffler to pass inspection! (I sure as hell wouldn't enjoy installing/removing the muffler every time state inspection came around.)

Let him learn the hard way. :lol: :lol:

I don't know what state everyone else lives in, but where I live, you need to have a muffler to pass inspection! (I sure as hell wouldn't enjoy installing/removing the muffler every time state inspection came around.)

HA HA see this is why i asked in the first place :blink:

yaa hmm so it seems like i would need a replacement muffler or i could do without the resenator but that would take longer right ?

another thing you could do is either mod your intake or get a aftermarket one. i have a injen sc400 intake on mine and it sounds like a airplane when i drive down the street. "Wooooooooooooooooosh!" kinda like that. very powerful and menacing. you can just remove the air box and have the filter exposed or buy a rod millen filter and adapter or custom fit a sc400 intake in yours. doesnt help exhaust noise though, just the sound of the intake which is a big difference.

and your gas tank in actually IN the trunk behind the rear seat. the hump under your trunk is for your spare tire

another thing you could do is either mod your intake or get a aftermarket one. i have a injen sc400 intake on mine and it sounds like a airplane when i drive down the street. "Wooooooooooooooooosh!" kinda like that. very powerful and menacing. you can just remove the air box and have the filter exposed or buy a rod millen filter and adapter or custom fit a sc400 intake in yours. doesnt help exhaust noise though, just the sound of the intake which is a big difference.

and your gas tank in actually IN the trunk behind the rear seat. the hump under your trunk is for your spare tire

so the SC400 aluminum intake is an upgrade for the LS400 Block? just a bolt on, or is there a mod plate needed???

yaa i know that i found that out when i put two subwoofers in the back of trunk i was like wtf is this black thing...oh wow the gas tank, man that looks safe <_<

yaa i know that i found that out when i put two subwoofers in the back of trunk i was like wtf is this black thing...oh wow the gas tank, man that looks safe <_<

YEP! safe indeed...its almost impossible to rupture in a rear end collision.. ;) ..unless someone fell asleep at the wheel in a Semi.

LOL

The only thing you're getting out of all those mentioned "HOT AIR INTAKE" mods is noise.

You WILL loose power, you WILL loose MPGs. All you're doing with a short ram, or just taking off sections of piping, is sucking in HOT engine bay air.

The only reasonable intake mod would be to fab up your own piping and cut a duct through the fender wells.

B)

Oh yeah and FYI I speak from experience. I had the retarded RMM intake on my 1LS.

Just a stupid velocity stack adapter and a big K&N.

what a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

:censored:

Oh yeah and FYI I speak from experience. I had the retarded RMM intake on my 1LS.

Just a stupid velocity stack adapter and a big K&N.

what a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!

:censored:

I agree with you on that one Jcrome, I thought Don Corleone was talking about the actual intake manifold was an upgrade intake the SC400's use, like they were designed different than our LS400's.

Im leaving my intake Box Stock, cause if i ever decide to upgrade to an 04 LS430.... im selling mine, and i would like to keep most of it stock :)

I always wondered....

Spraying the intake piping with some sort of heat resistant material... would probably drastically reduce air temps going into the engine...

I always wondered....

Spraying the intake piping with some sort of heat resistant material... would probably drastically reduce air temps going into the engine...

...prolly have to get in touch with NASA on that one...

i wouldnt say drastically reduce, the intake pipe is too short for the fast moving air transfer heat particles to any sort of materials...

thats way intercoolers are so big, that air has to move through alot of material to transfer the heat off...

Try this as an experiment..

Shop Vac

Duck Tape

PVC pipe or equivalent the same length as your LS intake

2 digital thermometers

you get the jist of it, but try any material possible inside the piping to see if it cools the air at any signifigance.

...Science is so cool... B)