Driver Door Noise.

I have developed what seems to be an odd noise coming from the driver's side door.

When I go over large bumps, manhole covers, railroad tracks, significant objects, the driver's door makes a noise like it is partly open/not quite closed.

The door is shut all the way and the windor is all the way up. I can't produce the noise by shaking the door in the driveway or trying to move the window by hand. I am taking it in so service can see if anything is loose inside.

Just wondering.

steviej

I have developed what seems to be an odd noise coming from the driver's side door.

When I go over large bumps, manhole covers, railroad tracks, significant objects, the driver's door makes a noise like it is partly open/not quite closed.

The door is shut all the way and the windor is all the way up. I can't produce the noise by shaking the door in the driveway or trying to move the window by hand. I am taking it in so service can see if anything is loose inside.

Just wondering.

steviej

I have bad news for you. My recently bought GS 430 seems to have the same problem. Seems like the dealer left that out in our coversations. Anyways, is seems that this is a common problem with the GS's from 06-08 possibly even 09! What's worse is that my door seems to have fallen a bit or slightly tilted? It now gets rubbed against the fender making a clicking noise everytime you open the door, where as to now, it has bugun to chip the paint. My car has 80k miles, depending on how many yours has, it could get worse if you don't get it checked, I think the door needs to be rethightend, but i'll wait and see what the dealer tell me.

I'll repost later.

Just wondering.

steviej

I have bad news for you. My recently bought GS 430 seems to have the same problem. Seems like the dealer left that out in our coversations. Anyways, is seems that this is a common problem with the GS's from 06-08 possibly even 09! What's worse is that my door seems to have fallen a bit or slightly tilted? It now gets rubbed against the fender making a clicking noise everytime you open the door, where as to now, it has bugun to chip the paint. My car has 80k miles, depending on how many yours has, it could get worse if you don't get it checked, I think the door needs to be rethightend, but i'll wait and see what the dealer tell me.

I'll repost later.

There should definetly be a recall on this issue because it definetly is a hazard when your door tilts and air is getting throught the seals of the door... someone could possibly end up ejected, hardly, but hey? it ccould happen, Lexus should just own up, these cars are to expensive for the buying customers, specially the ones that pay with 0 milage! And it's a common problem!

Just wondering.

steviej

I had the same problem (quite) a few years back on a new MB: door was badly installed, and needed to be re-installed at the correct angle etc... This implies loosening the hinges where they meet the body and they rotating the door a little as well as 'lifting' it a little). It is important to do it because otherwise, over time, the seals wear out. [You can usually see where they are improperly rubbing when the door is closed]. It is a bodywork job, part science and part art. Dealer problem, not yours.

I don't think mine is the door. When the window is up all the way, it sounds as though it is loose.

However, when I roll the window all the way down or even partially down and hit the bumps, you only hear the suspension noises and the door sounds solid.

I think the window or window bracket is loose when the window is in the up most position.

steviej

Just wondering.

steviej

I'll repost later.

There should definetly be a recall on this issue because it definetly is a hazard when your door tilts and air is getting throught the seals of the door... someone could possibly end up ejected, hardly, but hey? it ccould happen, Lexus should just own up, these cars are to expensive for the buying customers, specially the ones that pay with 0 milage! And it's a common problem!

I get the feeling that the Dealers have just about had it with the 3rd gen GS. I've had mine in 4 times with a host of issues plus the 3 recalls. They are nice enough, because that is how lexus trains them but I'll bet they are screaming !Removed! murder at corporate for shipping this lemon down the pike.

lets face it: the 3rd gen GS has more problems than any other lexus in history. this one model may well cost them a lot of future customers. I'll never get another Lexus. It's the creaky dash that just cannot be fixed that kills the whole experience.

and really, it doesn't ride that well, it's not really very quiet. and the german competitors handle better and have more curbside cachet.

I had a ticking noise on my driver's door and another on top of the driver's door, of course, the dealer cannot hear it.

Dealers all seem to have some kind of hearing disability. especially when it comes to creaky GS dashboards.

I get the feeling that the Dealers have just about had it with the 3rd gen GS. I've had mine in 4 times with a host of issues plus the 3 recalls. They are nice enough, because that is how lexus trains them but I'll bet they are screaming !Removed! murder at corporate for shipping this lemon down the pike.

lets face it: the 3rd gen GS has more problems than any other lexus in history. this one model may well cost them a lot of future customers. I'll never get another Lexus. It's the creaky dash that just cannot be fixed that kills the whole experience.

and really, it doesn't ride that well, it's not really very quiet. and the german competitors handle better and have more curbside cachet.

I don't agree.

At least in my experience with my GS. First of all, I haven't even brought it in and you have made my mechanic team out to be deaf. We will find out next Wednesday. Second of all, this is the first kind of problem I have encountered in 48k miles and it is minor for the most part. The three recalls were not really recalls, they were service campaigns initiated by Toyota and it covered more than just the GS. Most notably is the fuel line improvement becasue of the ethanol contents in the new formulations of gasoline. I compliment Toyota on stepping up to the plate and providing this servcie rather than letting time takes it course and having customers have to pay out of pocket when parts fail far after warranty. If anything, by doing that, Toyota has retained me as a customer when it comes time to buy my next one. I think you will find that is one practice that has helped get the big three domestics where they are today. As for the dash creaks, I haven't got them and never had them. Myabe I am lucky. I need to ride in a GS with them to see what they are, but I can say my interior is silent with the exception of this new development and that only happens when I am on undesireable road surfaces. I find the ride of the GS to be very similar and as comfortable as my ES and I loved that.

With that being said, can we return to the primary reason for my initiation of this thread.

Does anyone else have this pesky driver's door window noise?

steviej

I am starting to hear some noises in the dash of my 2006 GS. IT sounds like a vibrating/ rattling noise from inside the a/c, it's driving me nuts. I took everything out of my center console and glove box to see if that was where the sound was coming from. My car has almost 65,000 miles on it, and this is the first odd noise I have heard. No door problems.

update:

Monday night I really cleaned the black rubber gasket that the window seals against and then coated it a heavy application of silcone. The gasket appeared to be very dirty and had some high spots. They came off with cleaning and the silicone made the rubber a little more supple and smoother. This reduced the noise by about 95%. I took it to the dealer today and the service guy looked at it with me and he determined that the window and door were not loose but he did comment that the gasket was "dryer" than he liked even after the silicone application. They said they had no problem replacing the gasket with a new one at no charge. We shall see what that does.

steviej.

I had a ticking noise on my driver's door and another on top of the driver's door, of course, the dealer cannot hear it.

G-Man, Which dealer are you using for service?

Lexus of Watertown.

Just wondering.

steviej

I'll repost later.

I went to the dealer were I bought the car (Park Place Lexus) to get it checked, the service manager asked me what the problem was, I told him, he said he could check on it, but he would suggest I talk to the sales rep to see if they would cover the cost being that it was just bought ( I did not suggest the dealer do this, this was the asst. service managers idea). I went to my sales rep, he gave me the dear in head lights look and he told me I needed to go backto the service and tell them that they should fix it, I did, the servic`e guy then tells me I needed to go tell the sales rep he needs authorization.... AT THIS POINT IM GETTING FRUSTRATED! I go back to the sales rep I inform him that I just drove 40min. I was not satisfied with the service I was getting. He then said, I was trying to get the job done free and I should have warranty and warranty should fix it. At this point I am insulted and appauld, because I did not want anything done free nor was it my idea. I just wanted my car fixed, that is all, and if they could throw some good service to go along with it, more power to them. I got neither.

After all of that, I think I was there 1hr 30min and nothing had gotten done. After I was leaving, the servive guy notices the door stop was broken, he said it should fix the problema little, though, he could do nothing about the air noice, I didnt care, just wanted it fix. After I asked for the part prce, it seemed to much, 175..00 for door stop + 200 for install, I called SewellLexus and theyhad it cheaper, 125.00 for door stop + 100 for install.... I AM NEVER GOING TO Park Place Lexus AGAIN!!!!!

I had the work done at Sewell, the put me in a loaner and I was off. The most AWESOME thing was when I got my car back, the service guy at Sewell told me that the repair guy said that he noticed the door rubbing against the fender and he fixed it. All at no extra charge, they were just happy to service me!..... I heald back tears. I now have no problems with my car, I am soooo happy!!!!!!

Park Place Lexus, I hope your business goes broke :angry:

Steviej:

I am happy that you found a dealer/service department that provided you with the experience you deserve. The different dealerships make all of the difference. I have been amazed by the number of posts I have seen on this board about poor customer service at their dealership.

The next time you go in for any service, see if your dealership has the book "The Lexus Story". It does a nice job outlining the requirements that dealers go through to become authorized to sell and service Lexus vehicles. With all of the hoops that they go through, and all of the money they have to spend to continually improve, its mind boggling that certain dealerships can lose their customer first mentality.

I have been so fortunate with my dealership experience. Lexus of Wayzata has been awarded the "Elite of Lexus" designation every year (except one) since 1993 I believe. The year that they missed the award - 1996 - they made a change in management. Every time I go in there, they treat me with nothing but respect and class. They go out of their way to make sure that I have everything I need. They even call me a couple of days after each service to make sure that everything is still working fine.

I bring this up because it is all about the people you interact with. The dealership can spend money to renovate and improve the physical location, but if they do not have the people in place that will build a culture of "customer first", they will never really succeed. It sounds like the new dealership you found might just have the right combination of customer centric people in place to make you happy.

--Duckman

Just wondering.

steviej

I'll repost later.

I went to the dealer were I bought the car (Park Place Lexus) to get it checked, the service manager asked me what the problem was, I told him, he said he could check on it, but he would suggest I talk to the sales rep to see if they would cover the cost being that it was just bought ( I did not suggest the dealer do this, this was the asst. service managers idea). I went to my sales rep, he gave me the dear in head lights look and he told me I needed to go backto the service and tell them that they should fix it, I did, the servic`e guy then tells me I needed to go tell the sales rep he needs authorization.... AT THIS POINT IM GETTING FRUSTRATED! I go back to the sales rep I inform him that I just drove 40min. I was not satisfied with the service I was getting. He then said, I was trying to get the job done free and I should have warranty and warranty should fix it. At this point I am insulted and appauld, because I did not want anything done free nor was it my idea. I just wanted my car fixed, that is all, and if they could throw some good service to go along with it, more power to them. I got neither.

After all of that, I think I was there 1hr 30min and nothing had gotten done. After I was leaving, the servive guy notices the door stop was broken, he said it should fix the problema little, though, he could do nothing about the air noice, I didnt care, just wanted it fix. After I asked for the part prce, it seemed to much, 175..00 for door stop + 200 for install, I called SewellLexus and theyhad it cheaper, 125.00 for door stop + 100 for install.... I AM NEVER GOING TO Park Place Lexus AGAIN!!!!!

I had the work done at Sewell, the put me in a loaner and I was off. The most AWESOME thing was when I got my car back, the service guy at Sewell told me that the repair guy said that he noticed the door rubbing against the fender and he fixed it. All at no extra charge, they were just happy to service me!..... I heald back tears. I now have no problems with my car, I am soooo happy!!!!!!

Park Place Lexus, I hope your business goes broke :angry:

If in Dallas, don't go anywhere but Sewell! Deal with Amanda in Service and she will help you with the upmost professionalism! Tell her netgabe sent you. I hand't read the entire post but I noticed the black door seals were flattneing and I took it in to be replaced under warranty. I have a couple of hundred miles to go before I hit 50k on my 06 GS. If the car is still under warranty, take it in for a check up, including the creeking noise from the dash and the seal around the sunroof. This is not covered by extended warranty. I'll post what else they found in their search for warranty covered items.