Run Flat Tires

Lusty Lexy

Hi all, I'm new here, so I hope that this works! I didn't realize the tire controversy until the icon blinked and beeped and got the "bad news" to replace all tires! I only have 14,000 miles on the car! It was just serviced! They said my inner tires have run bald, but the thread elsewhere is OK...ouch! So here's my dilemna, besides having no power, do I stay with run flats or go to a non run flat and get a donut spare? If I stay with the run flats do I stay with the factory model, a dunlap tire, SP Sport 5000M 245/40ZR18, (Lex code: 000989) or can I jump ship to the one COSTCO has, a Michelin PS2 245/40R18 (item # 311951). And what's all this talk about thread 1, vs, thread 2, vs. thread 3? The dealership says that they have the thread 1 and COSTCO and others have inferior tires???? what's better, the Dunlop or the Michelin?

Hi all, I'm new here, so I hope that this works! I didn't realize the tire controversy until the icon blinked and beeped and got the "bad news" to replace all tires! I only have 14,000 miles on the car! It was just serviced! They said my inner tires have run bald, but the thread elsewhere is OK...ouch! So here's my dilemna, besides having no power, do I stay with run flats or go to a non run flat and get a donut spare? If I stay with the run flats do I stay with the factory model, a dunlap tire, SP Sport 5000M 245/40ZR18, (Lex code: 000989) or can I jump ship to the one COSTCO has, a Michelin PS2 245/40R18 (item # 311951). And what's all this talk about thread 1, vs, thread 2, vs. thread 3? The dealership says that they have the thread 1 and COSTCO and others have inferior tires???? what's better, the Dunlop or the Michelin?

A couple of people I know have 'moved' from run-flats to non-run-flats+donut spare (takes more room) and they are very pleased with the results. They say: better comfort, better road-holding, longer life, and no need to change tires when they get a puncture. Otherwise, inasmuch as the Michelins (or any other brand) match the specs. (incl. speed rating) of the original tires, you're fine. You can read the comments of owners at tirerack.com. Good luck! [i would assume that too much wear on the inside of the tire indicates an alignment problem].

• 2 weeks later...

About 3 months ago I removed the runflats from my wife's SC430. We purchased the Continental Conti Extreme Contact tires. They were about $700 for all 4, including installation. What a difference. The car is far smoother and quieter. I have no regrets doing this. We haven't gotten a spare. Not sure if I will. Most of her driving is around town, so we'll have AAA tow her to a tire store to get it repaired if we get a flat. If we decide to take it on the road, we may get the spare tire kit.

If the inside is bald and the outside is fine , swap the sides and get an alignment to wear the rest of tread out and save a few buck.

Personally i hate run flats but unless you have a spare i woudl stick with them.

I bought my SC 430 about 6 months ago and within the first month I replaced the run flats and pie plate wheels. I kept all 4 of the stock tires and rims intact and store them in my shed. When I travel out of state I put one of them in the trunk as a spare that way I always have a full size spare.

I just bought my 2002 SC430 a couple of weeks ago. The Toyota dealership where I bought it had replaced the original tires (at 62k on the odometer) with a set of run-flat Kuhmo Ecsta tires. Horrible ride. I'd had a pretty bad experience with Kuhmo's on my prior Miata, and had found that they tracked very poorly on the highway, especially if there was any irregularity in the pavement. I'd had an absolutely wonderful change on the Miata when I replaced the Kuhmo's with a set of Toyo Proxes T1R's. Given that experience, when I found a terrible ride on my Lexus with the Kuhmo's, I went to the local Les Schwab's yesterday and bought a set of Toyo Proxes 4 tires. The difference is unbelievable! Not the least expensive tire (I had them siped, and spent about $1100 for the set, including installation, tax and siping), but they have transformed the car. After just under 100 miles since they were installed, I can say that these tires do NOT track pavement irregularities and ride so much smoother it's unbelievable.

I do keep in mind that I traded one of the cheapest run-flat tires for a relatively premium tire (and I've yet to get a space-saver spare), but the difference is worth every penny. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Now, if I could only resurrect the TPMS senders...

• 4 months later...

You WILL want to replace the run flats. There is no reason to keep them. I replaced my Dunflops with Bridgestone 960 after readings from Tire Rack. Discount Tire replaced all 4 but could not get a good balance. Soon found 3 of the 4 were out of round. I lost all confidence in Bridgestone performance tires and Discount Tire allowed me to switch all 4 to Michelin Pilot AS Plus. No problems since switching to Michelins. I tried to save a few bucks, but soon found out here that you get what you pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

You WILL want to replace the run flats. There is no reason to keep them. I replaced my Dunflops with Bridgestone 960 after readings from Tire Rack. Discount Tire replaced all 4 but could not get a good balance. Soon found 3 of the 4 were out of round. I lost all confidence in Bridgestone performance tires and Discount Tire allowed me to switch all 4 to Michelin Pilot AS Plus. No problems since switching to Michelins. I tried to save a few bucks, but soon found out here that you get what you pay for.

Hi Guys,

For those of you wanting to add the SpaceSaver spare, here are the parts listings I got from the local Lexus dealer:

42611-24430 Wheel, Disc $144.74

90942-05009 Valve $20.81

51913-24020 Carrier Assy, Spare Wheel $29.33

51938-24010 Bracket, Spare Wheel Mtg $54.48

90105-06158 Bolt ( 4 req’d ) $9.48

90541-09101 Cushion ( 2 req’d ) $18.12

90541-09080 Cushion ( 2 req’d ) $13.62

64711-24170 Mat, Luggage Compt Trim, Rear $94.43

64716-24080 Cover, Luggage Compt Trim, Rear $149.77

64771-24040 Cover, Spare Wheel $188.36

There is one more part, a nameplate but I was not concerned with it.

So far I cannot find anyone who can supply the actual tire: 145-70R17

Hope this helps,

Jerry Baumchen

post-99739-1253417996_thumb.jpg

I switched to non run flats and am glad that I made the change, I also have a Toyota Supra. I had the Supra spare (155) mounted on my 2002 SC 430 to see if it would clear the calipers, everything checked out OK. I then placed the spare in the trunk and it was a tight fit (155 vs 145) but I could close the trunk and still put the top down.

Croix de runflats

RUN FLATS are an excuse for not fitting a spare in the trunk - not a real reason to buy a tire for a great ride! I tossed mine long ago - currently riding on a set of Kumho Platinum ( check them out at Tire rack) and they are the finest I've had yet . . . and I've owned Corvettes and Porsches. I belong to AAA and carry a pump and can of green magic in the trunk. Honestly, how many times have you had flat tires .. and were any where you couldn't get help?

hi just replaced my run flats after 17K to potenza a/s pole position - go to tire rack for reviews and specs. What a difference - should have done it long ago. Bought donut spare and it fits into well fine. 3X the mileage for half the price- and a much quieter and smoother ride. a no brainer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

For those of you wanting to add the SpaceSaver spare, here are the parts listings I got from the local Lexus dealer:

42611-24430 Wheel, Disc $144.74

90942-05009 Valve $20.81

51913-24020 Carrier Assy, Spare Wheel $29.33

51938-24010 Bracket, Spare Wheel Mtg $54.48

90105-06158 Bolt ( 4 req’d ) $9.48

90541-09101 Cushion ( 2 req’d ) $18.12

90541-09080 Cushion ( 2 req’d ) $13.62

64711-24170 Mat, Luggage Compt Trim, Rear $94.43

64716-24080 Cover, Luggage Compt Trim, Rear $149.77

64771-24040 Cover, Spare Wheel $188.36

There is one more part, a nameplate but I was not concerned with it.

So far I cannot find anyone who can supply the actual tire: 145-70R17

Hope this helps,

Jerry Baumchen

I purchased the entire spare kit (including the tire - premounted) from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. The total cost (including the tire) was slightly less than the sum of the parts listed above. I installed it myself in about one hour. It was fairly easy to do.