2009 Is250 Awd Or Audi A4?

I am seriously considering trading in my 2006 IS250 AWD for a 2009 Audi A4. I know the bias here will be to stick with the 2009 IS, however from my recent research it appears the Audi is a better bang for the buck and since 07 they have been rated very well reliability wise. I test drove both and I still like the overall feel of the Lexus, however I haven't been very happy with my overall experience with the issues I have had with my car. See my other posts for details.

Has anyone else compared the two? Any opinions and or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

That would be a tough call. We just got our second IS, an 09. We like them very much. But I know a couple of friends with A4's and they say they are great too.

You can't be certain you won't have any issues with an A4, but I couldn't argue with someone wanting one. I think they are great cars, and no doubt will feel quite a bit faster.

Let us know what you decide, and show pics!!!

i actually test drove both recently before i decided to purchase the 09 lexus is250awd and even though the looks of the audi may be very nice and strong but the car itself is uncomfortable , navi isn't touchscreen, little things like seats are uncomfortable steering wheel design is awkward ..can't go wrong with lexus but good luck on ur decision

I was in a 2000 BMW 323i before getting into my IS 250 AWD. I loved my BMW but once the car gets older your looking at some pretty big costs maintaining the vehicle. I also find German engines are great but the electronics aren't up to par, my BMW had numerous electrical problems throughout it's lifetime with faulty warning lights on the dash, sunroof that sometimes didn't work, same with the power locks. My real estate agent has a 2009 MB C350 and already his info display in the dash is malfunctioning and it was in for servicing with only 18000km on the car. I don't know anyone personally with an Audi newer then 2007 so I can't really tell you how the new models are so hopefully the electronics are better than BMW and Merc.

So far so good with the IS...but than again it's Japanese and they are known for their electronics.

I am seriously considering trading in my 2006 IS250 AWD for a 2009 Audi A4. I know the bias here will be to stick with the 2009 IS, however from my recent research it appears the Audi is a better bang for the buck and since 07 they have been rated very well reliability wise. I test drove both and I still like the overall feel of the Lexus, however I haven't been very happy with my overall experience with the issues I have had with my car. See my other posts for details.

Has anyone else compared the two? Any opinions and or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with Weardown. I would look at the maintenance costs. You can, in some cases, do this online. Look up some common items like an alternator, brake pads and rotors and other such common items like these. Call the dealer and ask what it would cost to have some sort of specific work done. My son owns an Audi A6 (4.2). The CV axel on that thing costs over 500 bucks. He is now seeing what the ownership costs are related to a nice car.

Norman

• 1 month later...
Well just an update, I drove the new A4, nice car, but I decided to keep my IS, just couldnt let it go.

Thanks for the advice.

I knew you'd come to your senses!

Well, I happened to be an owner of both an Audi A4 (MY04), and an Lexus IS (MY08). But the ownership of the Audi ended in tears, and yes, it's the well-known multitronic (CVT) issue, which cost thousands of dollars to fix.

IMHO, if the Audi you're considering is a FWD, CVT model, don't touch it. I know many people believe Audi's quality has gone up in recent years and they may not have that appalling CVT problem any more, but who knows, it's too early to tell if the current model will be free from the problems their predecessors had.

When comparing the two cars, the A4 is nicely built, the cabin feels a little better than the Lexus and the panels are well screwed together. I was washing my Lexus one day and noticed the fog lights are not quite tightly sits in there like the Audi, and the rear bumper feels quite soft when you push it. However, I need a car that can take me wherever I want to go. When I sit in the Audi, I always have the feeling the transmission is going to break (the car shudders), and I might be stranded in the middle of the highway. Whereas I'm fairly confident in the Lexus. The Lexus is also quieter and rides more comfortably than the Audi. But my feeling is, the feedback from the A4 is better and it feels sportier than the IS. Regarding the CVT, it's a really nice piece of technology, very smooth and comfortable, but only when it works. When it decides not to work, it's gonna make your teary. And funny enough, they tend to break after warranty, how nice is that Audi?

Anyway, for my next car, I'd buy another Lexus or a BMW 3, Audi is already out of the question for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you got your smarts back! My good friend just got an 09 A4 and I just think overall, the interior feels very VW. The ride is nice, but as an overall package, the IS can't be beat right now. Just my opinion....

• 2 weeks later...
I seriously would not get the IS 250. The engine will start to misfire after so many miles. The engine designed is just direct injection. So theres no way the intake valves will stay clean. Carbon deposit will start building up in the face of the intake valves causing misfires. The IS 350, GS 350 is a slightly better motor because of its dual injector set-up. One set is direct injection, secondary injectors are shower type, almost like multi-port style. This will keep the oil deposits off the face of the valves.

Some Audi with Direct injection only experience misfires after so many miles. There are no real fix for these issues at this time.

????????? :huh:

• 9 months later...

Missed this thread. Happens. Nevertheless, I have a neighbour with an A4 and a friend with a Q7. The A4 is a very stiff car. From the suspension through to the seats. On the otherhand, the Q7 is a vehicle I would consider buying myself. Every feature you would want. A great ride, good performance, more room than others in this class, etc.... Nevertheless, the history of this storied marque leaves much to be desired. Have you ever noticed which brands have burned out tailights/brake lights? The rep is that as long as you have a warranty and don't mind your car in the shop for days on end, by all means buy the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! A disclaimer at this point ... I have owned a bimmer with (surprisingly) no issues! Mind you I doubled up on the service schedule to avoid issues. I also have neighbours who have an A4, S550, M3 and a Q7 with no issues at all! This is obviously not the norm when it comes to the reputation of German cars. Love the performance of any of the German marques when they're in peak mode! However you really have to love the brand to put up with the maintenance issues that accompany the mistique. IMO, if you're a diy, an M5 is a machine that's worth any time you might have to put in to keep it in top form!

Missed this thread. Happens. Nevertheless, I have a neighbour with an A4 and a friend with a Q7. The A4 is a very stiff car. From the suspension through to the seats. On the otherhand, the Q7 is a vehicle I would consider buying myself. Every feature you would want. A great ride, good performance, more room than others in this class, etc.... Nevertheless, the history of this storied marque leaves much to be desired. Have you ever noticed which brands have burned out tailights/brake lights? The rep is that as long as you have a warranty and don't mind your car in the shop for days on end, by all means buy the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! A disclaimer at this point ... I have owned a bimmer with (surprisingly) no issues! Mind you I doubled up on the service schedule to avoid issues. I also have neighbours who have an A4, S550, M3 and a Q7 with no issues at all! This is obviously not the norm when it comes to the reputation of German cars. Love the performance of any of the German marques when they're in peak mode! However you really have to love the brand to put up with the maintenance issues that accompany the mistique. IMO, if you're a diy, an M5 is a machine that's worth any time you might have to put in to keep it in top form!

I've seen at least 5 Audi's, newer and older generations, with those issues in my area alone. Some Mercedes have those issues too. Def makes me feel worried about their products. But the thing is, they weren't burned out, they were just not working properly. The tailights were always very bright as if the person was applying his brakes, but the top brake light was off.