Fixed Limp Homer

Von

Thought I had my problem solved when I cleaned the MAF and replaced a DIRTY air filter. Has been running perfect for 3 days. Took off this morning for a short trip and wihin 2 blocks and 5 min. run time it lost power and CEL came on. Took car home hooked up my trusty wire to read codes, and now NO CEL, it disappeared. I have removed/inserted wire several times key on/off (but not started) and still no CEL visable. Thought I would ask before I pull the ECU fuse. p.s. Car idles perfectly, good clean exhaust note from both tailpipes, just won't go ! :angry: My question is when the key is turned on there is NO CEL, crank the car for a couple seconds, and the light appears with key on. Turn key off and on again NO CEL! Can't check my codes, any ideas ? :censored:

Normally if a car idles OK but has poor power it is a fueling issue so check your fuel pressure, fuel pump and have you replaced the fuel filter as it may be clogged and restricting the flow.

The car had new everything (complete tune at dealer) including fuel filter less than 20k ago. When it runs ,it runs perfect. I can drive to West Va. straight up mountains at 80mph all day long. Return home after 300 miles, and driving easy around town it quits.................go figure.

Going to replace the ECU next week. After reading for 2 weeks, I've come to the conclusion that a going or gone ECU can create a lot of different problems. ATE out of Tennessee(1-866-983-6688) will do a test/repair on your ECU with a 2 day turn around for $99.00. If it turns out OK during testing, there's a $55.00 (test)charge, and it would be worth it to eliminate one potential problem, instead of dumping big bucks on part after part ! ;)

I guess we don't need to know what was tuned up!! :huh:

I've never heard of someone just jumping right to the ECU... That should be the last thing on your list considering a new ECU is well over $1g

I thought I had said what was done(complete tune-up) Plugs,wires,caps ,rotors, and fuel filter, and I replaced the EGR pipe, cleaned the MAF, and put a new air filter in. Also I checked all the fuses in the car and under the hood, pulled the main relays that were important and cleaned them with contact cleaner and firmly pushed them back. Also every connector on the engine was unplugged and cleaned,also the ignitors. I also checked the coil wires to make sure the were tight. I've been working on cars for 30 years (I'm ASE certified , whatever that means) the engine does not miss CASE CLOSED, I can tell when a car misses under load, or has a poor/ruff idle. It runs perfect and always has (the PO used to drive it 600 miles on the weekends to play golf) An engine can't run perfectly with bad plugs,wires, fried caps and rotors ! The ECU repair is $100, it took a half an hour to remove it. We'll see.................... :)