Vvt-i Oil Control Valve

Anybody out there have any experience with the VVT i oil control valve and and filter screen?

I have a 98 GS300 with rough idle and the codes says the camshaft VVT-i is out of range.

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried to do a search but the Search engine wouldn't take words with less than four characters.

The search was (VVT-i oil control valve)

Can the Search function be modified to recognize less than four characters?

The OCV is located on the cylinder head and basically controls the camshaft timing by advancing and retarding it with oil pressure. my neighbor had a problem with his and unfortunately had to replace the camshaft control gear. First step would be to remove the Oil control valve and check it for normal operation. You can pull it out and hook it to the car battery to see if it is functioning at all. It is basically a solenoid that is pulse modulated by the computer to control the oil flow. Here is a picture of what it is controlling:

http://toyota.typepad.com/photos/uncategor...ti_actuator.png

Here is another explanation I googled:

http://www.v-eight.com/multimedia/pdf/3uzfe_vvti.pdf

I would try something a little less costly and intense first to see if you can clean it out. I would put a cup of Seafoam in the crankcase, let the car idle for about 20-30 minutes, let the car then sit for an hour or so, so it can cool down and let all the oil drain into the pan, and then change the oil with a good synthetic oil of your choice "I'm a Mobile 1 fan myself". I just bought a 01 GS430 that has a sporatic idle too. This past weekend I did this, also replaced the pvc valve, and did a drain n' fill on the transmission fluid. The car has regular gas in it, which isn't helping. But, it appears to have smoothed out the idle a good bit. My idle situation only happened when the car was in gear. The second I put it into neutral, it stopped. So I don't know if my was transmission fluid related, or what. But I would try the seafoam trick first to see if it can "clean" up the oil system's internals.

• 10 years later...