04 Gx470

mykmcmahon

Hey all,

I am the second owner of a 04 GX and am looking to add a hitch for various purposes. It looks as if the previous owner had a hitch but it must have been removed at the dealer. The electrical plug is down there and nicely installed. The rear bumper has a notch where it looks like a hitch was and it looks factory and it looks like the hitch was simply unbolted. Can anyone tell me if this notch is for a hitch? It would be nice to be able to keep it as nice looking as possible.

Thanks, myk

I posted a question back on March 15 asking about trailer hitches for bike racks. I was looking for something other than the heavy duty

trailer hitches, but had no luck. It sounds like my 04 GX470 has the same conditions as yours. I have what looks like an upside down

"U" shape with flanges with three holes on each side. It almost looks like the bottom half of a 2" square sleave has been removed.

The local Lexus parts guy looked it up and there supposedly was a piece there. His parts manual indicates that it is no longer available.

He said that in 04, there was no suitable hitch available when production went out, so they put this half-!Removed! thing on (or so he says).

I ended up getting a Curt 13455 from Autoanything (day and a half delivery).

Here's the problem: The Curt looks good, but that upside down U shape still is highly visible . If your bumper is like mine, the 14" section

of the plastic bumper over the center has an upturned lip on it that seems to be the problem. I've not checked back with Lexus yet to see

if that 14" piece can be replaced with one that is flush across, the same shape as the rest of the bumper. That would cover up the U shape

and improve the appearance.

Hope this helps....

bobfehgx470

Bob... It helps very much and my GX is just as you described. It seems strange that these "missing" parts aren't able to be found in the used parts market. If you or anyone else has any idea on where I might be able to find the OEM part I would appreciate it. I am not planning n towing anything today but do need a hitch to carry the family bikes.

Thanks,

Myk

What I am hoping to find is the hitch assembly that looks like the picture. Was this discontinued? On my GX it looks like the slide portion of the hitch assembly was simply unbolted and removed. The main support beams seem to still be behind the bumper as well as the Lexus wiring harnass. Anyone have any ideas if this had issues? Why is this such a mystery? Nothing else (curent factory or aftermarket) has this clean look. Even the current Lexus hitch is large and the beams are visible.

Thanks again for the help, Myk

post-91630-1239338815_thumb.jpg

Surprising When I took my GX the posterior Lip was not even there, to accomodate the hitch. I had to install the hidden hitch , well it does not hide in any way the frames, which are clearly visible.

• 1 year later...

What I am hoping to find is the hitch assembly that looks like the picture. Was this discontinued? On my GX it looks like the slide portion of the hitch assembly was simply unbolted and removed. The main support beams seem to still be behind the bumper as well as the Lexus wiring harnass. Anyone have any ideas if this had issues? Why is this such a mystery? Nothing else (curent factory or aftermarket) has this clean look. Even the current Lexus hitch is large and the beams are visible.

Thanks again for the help, Myk

post-91630-1239338815_thumb.jpg

Hi. I have the same issue with my 05 GX470. Have the "hitch Plate" and the bumper cover. Also plug assembly is under there. I want to get a bolt on receiver hitch for a bike rack. Cannot find one after doing several Google searches. Why is the damn thing there if it cannot be used?