Radio Displays "sec"

91es250. Got a replacement radio/tape/CD unit from ebay. Same as the Pioneer unit in the car "anti-theft P622" . Upon installing it, the LED window reads "SEC". There apparently is a 3 digit code to unlock the unit. Can I reset the code? What needs to be done to get this thing to work?

Ask the eBay seller for the security code. If he can't give it to you, you've been had and will have to have a Lexus dealer unlock it for you. Last I heard, Lexus dealers charge $50 - $100 for doing it.

In the paperwork, I found the VIN from the vehicle the unit came out of. Do you think the code would be the last 3 digits of the VIN?

Yes, Or the last digits of the key code ;) Remember, You only have 9 chances to decode.

In the paperwork, I found the VIN from the vehicle the unit came out of. Do you think the code would be the last 3 digits of the VIN?

Yes, Or the last digits of the key code ;) Remember, You only have 9 chances to decode.

The security code could be anything. The cars that have an optional security code feature arrived from the factory with the security code feature disabled.

When I set the security code - just for fun - on the 90 LS I had, I think I set the code to the numeric street I lived on in 1990 (149th Street = security code 1 4 9). I could have set it to anything ... the first three digits of my SSAN, etc. I ,like most people, disabled the security code feature on my radio. The feature was superfluous since these radios weren't worth stealing -- it was not like they would fit into anything but a Lexus.

Since you know the VIN number of the car the radio came out of, you could visit your local Lexus dealer and ask the service manager (very, very nicely) to contact the previous owner of record and ask for the radio security code. When I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003 from a non-Lexus dealer, the Lexus dealer contacted the previous owner for me to ask about some missing keys -- they were very courteous and helpful about it but I had bought a new LS from the same Lexus dealer in the past so maybe that was why they were so willing to help me.

Or just pay the nominal fee to have the radio unlocked.

I agree with everything said, IMO the ebay seller is at fault, and has sold you a defective radio. I would contact the seller, see if he can get you the access code.. if he cannot then he should refund your purchase price and any shipping expenses you incur to get the radio back to him. You also can contact ebay for relief.... good luck

Capn