Detailed: 08 Ls460l

2008 Lexus LS460L

The owner of this beautiful car contacted me the very day that he received his AutoWeek magazine in the mail and saw me listed in the detailing article.

This is the flagship vehicle for Lexus, and they are stunning cars to say the least. Not only does it have about every creature comfort and gadget available (and a rockin’ Mark Levinson audio system), but it also boasts a V8 with 380HP and 367lb-ft of torque! And it is huuuuge. There is a tremendous amount of surface area to work on with this car.

He told me that he had a 10 month old 460L that needed some TLC to bring it back to life. After meeting with him and inspecting the car, we decided to go for a full correction polish (or as close to as we could get), and to thoroughly clean the interior that was showing some severe signs of wear already. The paint had moderate swirls and RIDS on the horizontal surfaces, mostly mild on the vertical surfaces, and a few scrapes, bumps, and bruises throughout. We planned on the full correction this time, and then he’ll bring it back to me every 3 or 4 months for a more basic polish.

OK, onto the detail(s):

The car looked as expected after a long hard winter here in Ohio. It was quite dirty inside and out, there was no protection on the surface, and it had a tremendous amount of brake dust built up:

IMG_2340-1.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

The interior was in pretty bad shape as you can see:

IMG_2347.jpg

Winters do very bad things to light colored carpet…even when using all season mats! There was a hole worn through on this mat, and all of the dirty slush melted through and completely soaked into the carpet underneath. This would be a challenging cleanup for sure.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

Here’s where I was concerned. There was a lot of dye transfer into the leather. The grime would come up easily, but there was so much colored dye in this light leather, that I wasn’t sure how much I could get out. Yes, this is only 10 months old.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Even the passenger side was bad. Not only was there makeup on the seating surface, but it was all over the passenger compartment (armrest, door panel, headliner, sun shade, etc).

IMG_2348.jpg

380HP beast tucked away neatly in a “gentlemen’s car”.

IMG_2350.jpg

Now it’s time for decontamination and cleaning of exterior surfaces.

I started off with P21S Wheel Gel on the 19” rims, and let it dwell for a while to work into the many months of brake dust buildup. While that was working, I sprayed the tires and wheel wells with Megs APC+ at 4:1. Here’s a photo of the P21S doing its job:

IMG_2351.jpg

Once the wheels/wells were completed, I moved on to the rest of the vehicle. First I gave the car a thorough rinsing, and then broke out the foam gun that was loaded with Chemical Guys Wash & Clear mixed at paint-prep ratio (2oz / gal). While this was dwelling I prepared my two wash buckets with CGWC as well. Although I was confident that there was no sealant or waxes remaining on the surface when I received it, I always use the paint prep ratio of CGWC before polishing just to be sure any LSP’s are stripped off.

IMG_2353.jpg

Now it’s time to move on to the claying process. This past Christmas, Santa made a stop in Canada first before heading to Columbus, and he picked up some Riccardo clay for me!  I really like the texture and feel of this product, and it’s a shame we can’t get it here in the U.S. I clayed all exterior surfaces, and wasn’t surprised to find a lot of contaminants after a harsh winter. I used ONR for clay lube.

IMG_2354.jpg

Since I had the car for several days, it gave me the opportunity to break up the work a bit. I took this opportunity to try some different products and techniques on the leather. I tried all of the normal routes first on the dye transfer problem. I was able to clean the grime from the surfaces, but the dye was simply laughing at me. This was a perfect time to break out the Leatherique since it would be able to soak in and work for plenty of time. You can see here where I have applied it to the seats, the armrest, and the door panels (shiny areas).

IMG_2368.jpg

While the Leatherique was working, I figured I’d test the process and products on the hood before calling it a night. This method works well for me so that when I get up early the next morning to start polishing, I already know what needs to be done. I found the horizontal surfaces to be a whole lot worse than the vertical ones, and knew it would require a more aggressive method. For the hood I went with a Micro- Surface Tuf Buf black lambswool pad and Menzerna PO203 Power Finish. Not only did this combo cut through all of the defects, but it also left what appeared to be a LSP-ready finish. It was night time however, and the next day was supposed to be cloudy and I knew I wouldn’t be able to inspect it in the sunshine. Given that, I followed it up with 106FF and a grey LC pad just to be safe.

IMG_2363.jpg

After just 203/black wool:

IMG_2370.jpg

Closeups of the hood:

IMG_2364.jpg

After 203/black wool:

IMG_2371.jpg

It’s late, I’m going to be and get some rest on the daylight savings time-shortened night!

Day two:

Moving down the side of the car, I found that PO203 Power Finish and a white LC pad worked just fine. A few deeper rids required 2 passes, but other than that just one pass did the trick.

Around to the back of the car, I knew that the trunk lid had deeper defects than the hood. For this one I used a Tuf Buf black lambswool pad with SIP. That combo left some holograms, so I finished it up with 106FF and a grey pad.

Before:

IMG_2372.jpg

After:

IMG_2374.jpg

Not only does Menzerna make great products, but their bottles are also perfectly sized for propping the trunk lid open when working on the lower areas. It’s smart to do this when working on the trunk lid and the upper part of the bumper to avoid any accidents when moving the rotary around in these tight areas. Here I am using a 4” white spot pad with PO203.

IMG_2375.jpg

Moving my way around to the right rear of the vehicle I have some long scratches and paint transfers to deal with. Some of them were easy to remove, while others were pretty deep. Here I went back to the Tuf Buf black pad and SIP combo (Lexus paint is soft and corrects easily…otherwise I would normally go for M105 here) for a couple of passes, and followed up with 106FF.

Not what you want to see on your 10 month old, $75K car!

IMG_2382.jpg

All better now:

IMG_2383.jpg

Here’s just after finishing this side with PO203/white LC pad.

IMG_2385.jpg

I’ve got everything completed now and cleaned up a bit. I’ve topped it with Opti-Seal, but no LSP as of yet. Here are some after shots in the garage. I have the car for one more day, and it’s supposed to be sunny so I’ll wait and get a few more outside-sun pics at that time.

Wheels all cleaned up and sealed, and topped with Sonus Tire Gel

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

In this reflection shot you can see my new 4-bulb, T-5 fluorescent lights. I put 3 of them in the garage, and they’re a tremendous help.

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2447-1.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

Here’s my Salvador Dali shot for those artistically inclined. Look at the bending of the clocks in the reflection:

IMG_2420.jpg

I’ve been waiting all winter to take this shot. I did a lot of these hood/ceiling reflection shots last year before the ceiling was finished. Not only did I complete a major garage makeover, but I also had my logo printed in reverse so I could hang it on the ceiling. Once I take the reflection shots, the logo reads the right way! Pretty cool, eh?

IMG_2403.jpg

Now that I’ve kept you for this long, and you’re still reading and checking out the photos, I’m going to do my best to keep you a little while longer! 

Before I move onto some sun shots, I’m going to show you how the interior turned out. While I was able to get the leather MUCH cleaner, a lot of the dye transfer simply would not come out…no matter what I tried. I was a little bummed about this, but it still looked fantastic in comparison. All interior surfaces were cleaned first with Woolite/water. After that I went after stubborn scuffs and smudges with APC+ at 10:1. The console and controls areas were cleaned with Megs Interior Detailer, and the wood and metal trim were polished with Klasse AIO.

I spoke with George at Leatherique about the seating surfaces. After looking at the photos and some Q&A, he confirmed that the surface has been compromised and worn (it was actually rough to the touch in those areas), allowing the dye to transfer deeply into the fibers of the leather. He said that it would require a re-dye in those spots to correct it. He also added that heated seats actually add to this problem.

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Got legroom?

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

Remember how bad this area looked? The carpet was cleaned with Folex, agitated with a stiff brush, and extracted with hot water. The pedals and foot rest areas were scrubbed with APC 4:1 and a brush. There’s a little bit of staining that was too tough to completely remove, but in the end it was a huge transformation.

IMG_2432.jpg

Now for the after shots in some sunshine!

Remember what the rear bumper looked like when I received it? (Go ahead and scroll back up to the top…I’ll wait).

I polished up the exhaust outlets with Klasse AIO

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

No more defects on the trunk lid:

IMG_2458.jpg

Or on the hood:

IMG_2460.jpg

This wasn’t a good photo, but I put it in anyhow because I captured an airplane in the reflection! I heard it coming, and waited until it flew underneath the cloud so it would be easier to spot.

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

When the owner came and picked it up, he couldn’t believe how it looked. He said he was expecting it to look nice, but nothing at the level that he received. He immediately booked his wife’s ’08 Lexus RX350, and we also scheduled out quarterly polishes on both vehicles.

Total time = 12+ hours. The look on the owner’s face when he came to get the car = priceless!

Thanks for taking the time to review my work.

• 3 weeks later...
Beautiful work. Where can I find your twin brother in Atlanta area?

Thanks guys!

My twin in Atlanta's name is Bryan Burnsworth. He's a great guy, and an incredible detailer! www.peachstatedetail.com He was named (along with me!) in AutoWeek magazine as one of the 9 top detailers in the U.S.

Rarely do i comment on the boards, especially with pics of detailed cars. Usually the cars look nice and clean, but goodness gracious great balls of hot spitting fire...dude, you do awesome work!

:D Thank you my friend!

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

My twin in Atlanta's name is Bryan Burnsworth. He's a great guy, and an incredible detailer! www.peachstatedetail.com He was named (along with me!) in AutoWeek magazine as one of the 9 top detailers in the U.S.

Do either of you fancy a (working) Holiday in New Zealand - I wish I could find a detailer that good (and reliable) here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Great work and thank you for your kind words Todd!

Bryan Burnworth