Ethanol Anybody ?

Von

I have a friend that came by while I was working on my car (lost power had to limp home), and he asked if I had ever put Kroger gas in it (10%Ethanol) and I had just filled up there about the same time my car started doing it's thing. He said never run it in any Toyota products (he has one of the last Supra Turbos, a Lexus and Camry. All he and his dad have owned for 20yrs. He claims Ethanol enriched gas will kill them. I never run the stuff in any of my cars, but did this time just because it was a good deal. Anyone ever heard of such a thing. *I know it's been linked to doing severe damage to boat motors, especially if they sit for a long time* <_<

lol

It's so hard to find gas that ISN'T at most 10% ethanol.

Your car isn't doing this because of the gas. I bet 99% of people on this board fill with 10% Ethanol fuel.

Yea, you may be right, but 99% of the guys on this board are having big time problems trying to make these cars run for a week straight without turning off at stop lights, dying while running down the highway, stalling, idle, and starting problems, and that's on a good day. It's worth considering. :P

Well I've filled my car with nothing but Chevron for 1 year 4 months and have never had a problem...

psssssssst.......(It's not because of the gas.....)

I have a friend that came by while I was working on my car (lost power had to limp home), and he asked if I had ever put Kroger gas in it (10%Ethanol) and I had just filled up there about the same time my car started doing it's thing. He said never run it in any Toyota products (he has one of the last Supra Turbos, a Lexus and Camry. All he and his dad have owned for 20yrs. He claims Ethanol enriched gas will kill them. I never run the stuff in any of my cars, but did this time just because it was a good deal. Anyone ever heard of such a thing. *I know it's been linked to doing severe damage to boat motors, especially if they sit for a long time* <_<

Ethanol kills your mpg, but otherwise, except in older cars, does no harm. It has been mandated in FL (10%) and has made all cars less efficient. On some older cars, it can have a bad effect on some rubber or metal hoses becuase of oxidation problems that are exacerbated vs. pure gasoline, and on boats the issues have not been with the motors but rather with the gas tanks: the ethanol has damaged (diluted) fiberglass tanks, and the residue has clogged the motors. Most cars, even six years old or more, have been 'programmed' to accept up to 10% or 15% ethanol.

I Use Kroger gas all the time... No problems, It as 93 octane here. Not the cheapest in town, but the car seems to get better mileage with Kroger's gas. No i don't use regular in the Lexus.. If I could not afford the gas, then would not have bought the car.. Learned long time ago, using paint as an example. That although Walmart sells some cheaper paint. it may take two or three coats to cover. Plus the drips and spatters is terrible to work with. a couple of bucks a gal more and I can get paint to cover in one coat, and no drips and very little spatter from the roller, Or run down your arm when using a brush to do trim over head.

I have gotten some bad gas over the years, esp after a big rain.. Talked to a guy that used to drive a tanker, and he said that lots of time they would pump regular into the premium tanks.

I used to run 10% ethanol gas in my cars (which is what most stations have), but I was told that non-ethanol was better, so I have been using that for about a year now. Went to city-data forums and there was talk on the local boards about stations in the area with 100% gas. There are about 4 places here in town with 100% gas. One local place that has it is a newer local supermarket (Food Country) and it is only about 5 miles from where I used to get it (Super Wal-Mart) and its not much more costly. I refilled today with it and it was like $2.12 per gallon. My LS400 gets about 21 mpg in town driving if I use it, which I usually do. I always take my Mercedes there and fill it up. I have two older 1970s cars and I have not put 100% gas in them, but I guess I should start since they are older cars.

I didnt know any Krogers sold gas.... our local Krogers dont, but its been there since 1995. I notice the original poster is in SW Virginia, which is very near me (SW VA borders the part of TN I live in). Our local grocery store chain that has alot of stores is Food City and they sell gas. On Friday they sell premium at mid-grade prices, so thats attractive. I used to do that, but like I said, I go to Food Country mostly with 100% gas. If gas goes back up to $4.00, I will go back to the cheaper 10% ethanol and get it on Friday at mid-grade prices. Strike that, if gas goes back to $4.00 per gallon, I will start riding my bike to work! :)

y sell gas. On Friday they sell premium at mid-grade prices, so thats attractive. I used to do that, but like I said, I go to Food Country mostly with 100% gas. If gas goes back up to $4.00, I will go back to the cheaper 10% ethanol and get it on Friday at mid-grade prices. Strike that, if gas goes back to $4.00 per gallon, I will start riding my bike to work! :)

You would think that Toyota would give a good fold up 10 speed bike with the purchase of each Lexus... :lol: