2002 Rx 300 Starting Problem

10ga

My wife's 2002 RX didn't want to start today. Had to turn the key on and off several times before it finally started. Battery seems okay and no clicking sound from the started.......it just does nothing. No other problems to speak of.......any ideas what it may be?

Thanks

My wife's 2002 RX didn't want to start today. Had to turn the key on and off several times before it finally started. Battery seems okay and no clicking sound from the started.......it just does nothing. No other problems to speak of.......any ideas what it may be?

Thanks

How many miles are on the RX? There are other things it could be but the 1st place I would look is the starter contacts. The starter is ball bearing and is so well made that it will probably last for ever. The only weak point it has (not really a weak point, just natural wear) is the contacts in the solenoid. This is normal for any starter that uses a solenoid. The solenoid doesn't have to be replaced, just the contacts inside and Toyota sells a kit for it that is quite reasonable from what I remember. Don't know if you do any mechanical work or not but the starter is really easy to take off and the contacts are easy to replace. An easy way to tell if it is the contacts is have your wife turn the key and if it does nothing, KEEP it turned while you rap the starter solenoid with a hammer handle or short broom stick. It will jar the contacts to work and will start. If it does, you've found your problem. Good Luck!

Sounds like it could be a bad or corroded battery connection. All the bells and whistles in your car don't draw much current and will work fine. The starter however needs tons and any fouled connections will restrict the current. cccclick.

Regards, PK

Sounds like it could be a bad or corroded battery connection. All the bells and whistles in your car don't draw much current and will work fine. The starter however needs tons and any fouled connections will restrict the current. cccclick.

Regards, PK

Exactly what I would suggest. I would take the cables off, clean the inside of the cables and the battery post with a specialized tool. Lacking that, good old steel wool or steel bristle "tooth brush" will work. I would also wash the top of the battery off with lots of water and then clean it with baking powder. Wash again to remove any of the baking powder. If your battery has caps that can be taken off, do so slowly and gently, wearing eye protection. Then, check the level of electrolyte in the battery. If it is below the normal level add some distilled water. The final thing I would do is to charge the battery. I have foung on another newer car that my solenoid doesn't click if the battery is low. Either charge it or try to jump it.

Thanks

10ga- All excellent suggestions and one of the reasons this board is what it is. Takes a lot of spokes to make a wheel and even in my answer I was using tunnel vision. At least you have enough avenues to explore and a good chance one of them will give you your answer. Good luck!