Anyone With Larger Than Stock Wheels

Hey, anyone that has 20's or anything larger than stock, could you tell me how your ride quality is ? before and after ? how big of a difference etc etc

I have a 2004 ES330 , and am thinking of getting 20's , but might just go with 18's or something more moderate if the ride quality suffers too much...

any personal experience would help

thanks !!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have 22's on my LS 460.. Granted with 22's you have a very low profile tire but the ride quality is not bad at all.

The most important thing in my opinion is to purchase a good quality rim.

If not when you're on the freeway going about 60-70, your car is gonna shake like crazy because cheap wheels hardly balance perfectly.

Also 3 piece wheels as extremely high maintenance. I would stick with a one or two piece. I learned that the hard way!

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The bigger the rim, the lower the aspect ratio your tires need to be which results in less sidewall. Handling is improved since the sidewalls have less flex than a taller sidewall, but you can bend a rim easier. Ride will also be a little "firmer".

The important part is that you keep the outside diameter is within 3%. An ES can go up to 19" without looking out of balance with the whole car. Larger wheels will tend to shake only if a hubcentric wheel or hubcentric ring is not used. If the shop cannot balance a larger wheel, you should not go to that shop.

• 9 months later...

I have 19" wheels. I would not go over 19" wheels on a Lexus. Ride quality is not much of a difference but if you if that you are getting some vibration you might need some wheel spacer. some aftermarket wheels sometimes come with bigger space on the center of the wheel which causes it to get the vibration. you can buy the spacer for less then 15 dollar at a part store. no big deal. Just make sure you keep in mind that the smaller the wheel the fast you can take a sharp turn. the bigger the wheel the wider the turn the better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an IS350 with 20's. I love it. The ride is far better than stock. I get compliments on the look very time I drive.

That's amazing. Must be very good tires. What tires do you have on your IS350?

• 7 months later...

• 4 months later...