92 Sc300

I have a 92 sc300 170k miles. Its acting up, low gas mileage usually get 250 miles to the tank of premium, used

to get around 325 miles from a tank of premium. Car smells funny, like disel fuel, and it vibrates at stop, and after

I driven about 30 miles then the car sputters and acts as if it might stall.

I took it to a mechanic who rebuilt the ignition system for $500. I picked up the car and it acted just the same as before. So I took it back, they are offering full credit for the ignition repair, but say real problem is the head gasket.

Citing coolant isn't flowing through radiator, and low compression. Also, something about milky oil, and blowby.

They claim the real problem before was the technician but now have called in a master diagnostician. Obliviously this is expensive, $3k repair. Do any of you have an opinion about the diagnosics, or if you think its not worth fixing such an

old car?

coolant not flowing through the radiator usually results in overheating. low compression in an engine can only be remedied by rebuilding the head or the block or both. blow by can also only be remedied by rebuilding the block or installing a oil catch can will help reduce it but it does not fix it. check if your oil is actually milky if it is it will look like chocolate milk. because if a mechanic noticed this and let you drive away i wouldnt go back/. its kinda like cancer. catch it early in the milky stage and fix it chances of survival are good. leave it alone and the engine will blow up.

and by rebuild the ignition system, what parts were changed?

i would say make sure your head gasket is really ok first. then maybe change the fuel filter, clean your air filter, and make sure your tires are inflated properly. that can cause your mileage to drop.

If you do take it to another mechanic or if you do some investigative work yourself to save some $$$ and it is determined that the motor is "blown" you could always do a better fix than rebuilding the motor. You could do the 1JZGTE swap for less than a stock rebuild; twin-turbo should prove to be fun. =)

I had the same problem with my car about a year ago after it died on me. Your car's symptoms sounded exactly like what I had, but unfortunately I have to tell you that with that kind of problem there are many possiblilities. With the sputtering and hesitation of the engine it could be one of many through my knowledge of experience. First of all start with the less inexpensive issues like spark plugs & wires, rotors & caps, or check if there's water in your gas tank, you can eliminate it with the tank cleaners you see at auto shops. It could also be your trac switches...there's 2 under your hood, they're easy to locate, almost in the center, and like one of the other members has mention check your gaskets. Well that's all I can tell ya, but the solution to my problem was a new trac switch and professional tuning did the job. Good Luck!!