Glowing Red

I HAVE A 1994 LEXUS SC400 125,000 MILES NEW WATER PUMP, ALTERNATOR, TIMING BELT, BATTERY, PLUGS ,WIRES. :)

CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING GREAT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN STARTED IT THE OTHER DAY AND IT RAN FOR 3 MINS LOST POWER IDILING AND I SMELLED A BURNING SMELL LOOKED UNDER HOOD NOTHING :( THEN AS SCENT GOT STRONGER I DECIDED TO LOOK UNDER CAR AND RIGHT WERE EXHAUST DROPS FROM THE ENGINE AT THE CATS WAS GLOWING RED WHAT IN THR H_LL COULD CAUSE THIS IMA FIRE FIGHTER AND THIS IS MY ONLY WAY BACK AND FOURTH TO WORK I LOVE MY CAR AND KEEP HER UP SHE IS BEAUTIFUL I CANT PUT THIS FIRE OUT ALONE CAN SOMEONE HELP A BROTHER OUT THANKS :( CANT LOOSE MY JOB BECAUSE OF A DOWN CAR :(

I HAVE A 1994 LEXUS SC400 125,000 MILES NEW WATER PUMP, ALTERNATOR, TIMING BELT, BATTERY, PLUGS ,WIRES. :)

CAR HAS BEEN RUNNING GREAT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN STARTED IT THE OTHER DAY AND IT RAN FOR 3 MINS LOST POWER IDILING AND I SMELLED A BURNING SMELL LOOKED UNDER HOOD NOTHING :( THEN AS SCENT GOT STRONGER I DECIDED TO LOOK UNDER CAR AND RIGHT WERE EXHAUST DROPS FROM THE ENGINE AT THE CATS WAS GLOWING RED WHAT IN THR H_LL COULD CAUSE THIS IMA FIRE FIGHTER AND THIS IS MY ONLY WAY BACK AND FOURTH TO WORK I LOVE MY CAR AND KEEP HER UP SHE IS BEAUTIFUL I CANT PUT THIS FIRE OUT ALONE CAN SOMEONE HELP A BROTHER OUT THANKS :( CANT LOOSE MY JOB BECAUSE OF A DOWN CAR :(

can someone give me a shout here id really appreciate it

I do lots of work with muscle cars, and when your on the Dyno making the engine bleed, red headers means that your running lean. Not sure why a EFI engine would do that, but check for codes, and then check your injectors.

BTW, you get lots more respect on forums if you drop the CAPS.

The cheapest fix is to recheck your wires... make sure the firing order is correct vs. the coil packs.

I have seen a V8 turn headers red if two plugs are miswired. They fire during the wrong cycle and combustion occurs in the headers.

Good luck

• 5 months later...
I do lots of work with muscle cars, and when your on the Dyno making the engine bleed, red headers means that your running lean. Not sure why a EFI engine would do that, but check for codes, and then check your injectors.

BTW, you get lots more respect on forums if you drop the CAPS.

cool thanx man

no your car is not running lean nor are your cats clogged. change your coil packs and your car will be as good as new.

good exhaust pressure jus runs like it has a miss like only four cylinders are working

if my exhaust was red only for 5 minutes do i have to replace the cats or once the coils are fixed ill be

fine

Had same problem while on vacation, so I took to a muffler shop and paid $400 for a cat and that did not fix car. I drove home in the same condition as before ( Red hot Cat and no power, was getting 8 MPG LOL) eventualy got my mechanic to take a look and it was the coil packs and only $130 so I wasted $400 on replacing cat.

I know this is late but thought it might help someone else

Had same problem while on vacation, so I took to a muffler shop and paid $400 for a cat and that did not fix car. I drove home in the same condition as before ( Red hot Cat and no power, was getting 8 MPG LOL) eventualy got my mechanic to take a look and it was the coil packs and only $130 so I wasted $400 on replacing cat.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by coil packs?

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by coil packs?

Ignition coils, got it.