2002 Ls430 Trunk Struts

HRP

The trunk struts on my 2002 LS430 are getting weak. While the car is still within the 7yr/100k warranty, I'm not sure (from posts here) if they are covered. In case they are not, 2 questions:

1)Removal: they appear to simply pop out of their sockets, if not removal method please?

2) Best source to get replacement ones?

Thanks.

I read your post with interest. The 2001 lexus I bought last night also had rather lame trunk struts. I'm going to call the dealer today to see if they will replace them for me when they do the detailing today. I guess I'll find out how much they are to replace when they squawk about this request.

I read your post with interest. The 2001 lexus I bought last night also had rather lame trunk struts. I'm going to call the dealer today to see if they will replace them for me when they do the detailing today. I guess I'll find out how much they are to replace when they squawk about this request.

Just helped a friend buy a 02 LS430 a couple of days ago. The car was well garage kept with 60K on it except the trunk struts had been out for some time. The ex-owner went to the dealer and was intimidated by the high price it quoted. I searched the Forum and found this vendor "Liftsupportsdepot.com". They have the strut for $40+. My friend will order a set of it. I purchased a pair of hood struts for myself (99 LS400). My hood support was out for some years and I got by with a lift bar till now. The hood strut is $24.50 a piece. They are on the way. I'll see how good the product is (vs. $120 a piece from the dealer and it wasn't good from what I saw).

I was surprised that my hood strut went out 4 or 5 yeas ago. I thought mine was just a bad apple before reading the posts. Even though it is noe critical, I guess the hood and trunk support is one of the areas that Lexus ignored. My 10-year-old Jeep is still going very strong front and back.

When you say lame trunk struts, what do you mean? It will not stay open?

On my '97 when I pop the trunk with the remote, the trunk doesn't pop up, more than 1/2" or so--just enough so that it doesn't catch and lock again. However, if you open it all the way, it stays open. Is this how it's supposed to be, or do I also have lame trunk struts? Or does the '97 not even have trunk struts? :lol: