Major Major Damage

Okay so here's my story. I was making an 1hr30 trip from one city to another, in my 92 sc300. As I was 20 minutes away from my destination my battery light came on. So I thought it's my alternator and now my car is running on the battery, 10 minutes after my trac light and check engine light came on. 5 minutes after that I see smoke coming from under the hood. Now at this point I could easily panic but I kept going trying my best to atleast make it to my destination. When I got to, I opened up my hood and then I see what is coolant liquid spewed all over the engine, my tensioner to the serpentine belt somehow broke. So here's my hypothesis, as I was driving, the tensioner broke and made the serpentine belt whipped a hose, which I found later, making coolant sprayed everywhere causing a lot of steam coming from the hood. I looked at the liquid and most of it seemed to be on the battery. Oh and I just wanted to say that it must've been one of the most embarrassing situation i've ever been in, I mean there was a lot of smoke. So my question is does anyone think my car can survive all of what's happened?, and how much does anyone think the damage is? PLEASE HELP!

I just love your statement: "Now at this point I could easily panic but I kept going trying my best to at least make it to my destination."

This is one of those times when the correct thing to do is to panic. Never, ever continue driving a car when you "see smoke coming from under the hood". Stop immediately, evaluate the situation and, if necessary, call a tow truck.

I doubt if forum members are going to be able tell you whether or not you have done lasting damage to your car. If you didn't fry the engine due to overheating, there is a good chance it will be fine.

Consider taking your car (i.e. having it towed) to a competent mechanic for evaluation and repair.

Yeah hopefully this will teach you a lesson...when warning lights and things start coming on...its time to pull over and address the situation.

Continuing to drive is what ruins cars, and it is very possible that its ruined yours...

Crazy...

You could take it in but I'm SURE that a mechanic will tell you that something is f'd up and it's going to cost X amount of money to repair it. If you are car knowledgable you could check the plugs for any visible signs of damage, if all looks resonable then you could replace the tensioner (if that is the problem. I had my crank shaft pulley break in two pieces which pulled the serpentine belt off), replace the hose if it is cracked and either replace the serpentine belt or reuse it if its not ripped/torn. Refill your radiator with coolant at the 50/50 ratio and crank it up.

Okay so the conclusion is I need a new radiator and a new tensioner. The radiator i here is pretty simple and i can do that manually, but has anyone ever taken or replaced the tensioner? and what is the easiest way to do it? please help, thanks

Okay so today I took apart everything that was connected to the radiator and the tensioner. I did check the radiator and it looked fine, but I did replace the tensioner. Also thought I'd change the oil while I was at it, and put everything back together. Started the engine and it seemed normal. Car temp was just a tad over half gauge so it seemed fine, then I drove it around a few blocks. Turned on the heat but only cold air was coming out. Also as I got out of the car I smelled something burning but it was more like a liquid burning. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I could really use some help thanks.

well i can try to give some insight. When i had my water pump/timing done i had to take it back several times for them to "burp" the system. You may have air in the lines thats not allowing coolant to flow through heater core as my car had similar symptoms. Another downside to my car overheating before i had the pump done was that the main seal(rear crank seal) developed a leak from expanding and contracting along with high heat. Do you have a fluid leak? It will start small and depending how you drive it can get worse over a short period of time. I hope thats not it, because its a lot of time to replace a $20 seal. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/removal.html follow the link for ls400(very similar) main seal replacement.

You could take it in but I'm SURE that a mechanic will tell you that something is f'd up and it's going to cost X amount of money to repair it. If you are car knowledgable you could check the plugs for any visible signs of damage, if all looks resonable then you could replace the tensioner (if that is the problem. I had my crank shaft pulley break in two pieces which pulled the serpentine belt off), replace the hose if it is cracked and either replace the serpentine belt or reuse it if its not ripped/torn. Refill your radiator with coolant at the 50/50 ratio and crank it up.

Someone "car knowledgable" would not keep grinding a vehicle down the road with smoke coming from under the hood.

Someone "car knowledgable" would not keep grinding a vehicle down the road with smoke coming from under the hood.

Thats cold dude. We've all been there when we are too embarrassed to stop and think we just might make it. Poor decision, but i think he know that already. It's just cold.

Thank you for all your insight and might i dare say also you're degrading comments. I realize that I shouldn't continue driving a car that's smoking but I was so close from home that I didn't want to pay the towing fee. Luckily for me not much was damaged but the tensioner, radiator and Heater control valve. Now i've already changed the tensioner and i'm waiting for my radiator to get here, but I have no clue where to get a heater control valve at a good price because the dealer wants like 400 bux!! for it. So does anyone know where I can get a good inexpensive one? Thanks in advance