Strut Replacement Decisions

I have been researching on here for various opinions on which brand of strut to get. I have a 98 SC300 w/128,005 miles and it's time for all four struts to be replaced; the SC will still be at stock height. I have found three choices and here are the best prices that I have found online so far. From Rockauto.com I have found the Monroe Sensa-trac's for $257.89 (this includes shipping charges and a 5% discount code). I have found the KYB GR-2's on ebay for $265.90 total (incl. shipping) current auction Ebay auction for KYB Gr-2's and the third choice is for Tokico's from shox.com for $276.28 w/free shipping, here is the link Tokico struts from shox.com.

All three are roughly within $20.00 of each other and I would like some input on [any of] these three choices AND THEIR CURRENT PRICES. Are any of these available cheaper? Is there a general consensus of one of the three standing out?? Thanks for any and all your input.

--B

I would go with OEM parts if you are keeping the car pretty much stock and for daily driving.

The front struts are about $43 each from Lexus of PembrokePines. The rears are more at about $120 each.

Toyota made a huge error somewhere because the part number for the front strut for 97-00 SCs is 48510-29515.

This part number is the same strut that is on MK4 Supras and sells at Toyota discount dealers for about $140 online.

If you enter this part number into any Lexus dealer site you get a repalcement part number of 48510-29505 which prices for the $43.

Unless Toyota revised the Lexus version to ride a bit cushy it should be the extact same part.

If it is a made in Japan KYB that is OEM and costs $43 then it beats out any aftermarket strut at 3-4 times the price.

The guy that owned my SC before me put the made in China rear KYBs purchased outside of the dealer and I hate just having a made in China part on the car. Besides, the idiot that installed them left the nuts off of the top of the left strut and just threw away the retainer rings and caps. I got all of that stuff for $10 from a junkyard and put back what was missing. I hate mechanics that are lazy and have no integrity. If I had not taken the rear carpet out to replace the trunk lift struts I would have never known of this.

My front struts are stock and shot so I plan on replacing them with the $43 struts and then at some point in the future I will get rid of the made in China KYBs on the rear for OEM made in Japan KYBs.

• 1 month later...
Not that I would expect a huge advance in quality from the others but personally I would go with the Tokico

You're kidding me right? Tokico...?? I wouldn't slap those on a bike. Proof that aftermarket isn't always better.

I dont want to burst anyone's bubble, but KYB IS NOT the only OEM struts that came on the SC's. I just changed the struts on my 97 SC300 and the OEM struts were made by Tokico part number 48530-24220 with Toyota above it and are all black, so I think what OEM struts you get depends on the year of the car. Also when I went to Toyoto and Lexus their "OEM" struts are made by Tokico as well. Dont forget Toyoto does not make their own small parts such as Struts, and other accessories so when you purchase the OEM struts from the dealer they are going to be manufactured by someone else.

Some people have this crazy idea that Toyota and other car companies make their own parts, but in reality most dont and when you purchase "OEM" you are getting a different manufacture such as Denso, KYB, Tokico etc..... Hence the Ignition Coil I just purchased from Toyota, it is made by Denso, and it was $75, yet cross referencing the exact part number lead me to a local store that had it for $49 and the only difference is it did not say Toyota on it but the Denso part number is the exact same.

I replaced the destroyed 180k mile struts with Tokico Blues. I must say the ride is much smoother and less harsh, but also rather bouncy. Over the smaller bumps the struts absorb the impact very well and the car feels very stable. Now the bigger bumps are a bit of a different story, with the larger bump/holes the rear of the car gets pretty bouncy and at decent speed feels somewhat unstable, but not unsafe yet stays comfy.

I was hoping the ride would be a little bit stiffer and less bouncy keeping the stock springs, but overall I like the Tokico's so far and for those of you who drive in Mass you know how crappy the roads are year round lol.

• 4 months later...
I dont want to burst anyone's bubble, but KYB IS NOT the only OEM struts that came on the SC's. I just changed the struts on my 97 SC300 and the OEM struts were made by Tokico part number 48530-24220 with Toyota above it and are all black, so I think what OEM struts you get depends on the year of the car. Also when I went to Toyoto and Lexus their "OEM" struts are made by Tokico as well. Dont forget Toyoto does not make their own small parts such as Struts, and other accessories so when you purchase the OEM struts from the dealer they are going to be manufactured by someone else.

Some people have this crazy idea that Toyota and other car companies make their own parts, but in reality most dont and when you purchase "OEM" you are getting a different manufacture such as Denso, KYB, Tokico etc..... Hence the Ignition Coil I just purchased from Toyota, it is made by Denso, and it was $75, yet cross referencing the exact part number lead me to a local store that had it for $49 and the only difference is it did not say Toyota on it but the Denso part number is the exact same.

I replaced the destroyed 180k mile struts with Tokico Blues. I must say the ride is much smoother and less harsh, but also rather bouncy. Over the smaller bumps the struts absorb the impact very well and the car feels very stable. Now the bigger bumps are a bit of a different story, with the larger bump/holes the rear of the car gets pretty bouncy and at decent speed feels somewhat unstable, but not unsafe yet stays comfy.

I was hoping the ride would be a little bit stiffer and less bouncy keeping the stock springs, but overall I like the Tokico's so far and for those of you who drive in Mass you know how crappy the roads are year round lol.

And what was the Denso Ignitin Coil Part Number???