96 Es 300 Squeal From The Rear

Texus

You have four wheel disc brakes on an ES, and each wheel has one brake pad that has a small metal finger attached that points at the rotor. The idea is that when the pads wear down to the point where the pads should be replaced, the metal finger will contact the rotor making a squealing sound whenever the brakes are applied. This is the signal to get your brakes checked asap. Sounds like your problem. The only other time I've heard the same sound and it wasn't the "early warning finger", was on a car where the driver ignored the warning squeal, or the metal finger had worn off/fallen off and the brake pad material was completely gone, and the metal backing plate of the pad was scraping on the rotor. That guy's repair bill was astronomical.

hrmm... uh`oh... i think i need to check my brakes then... this has been making the sound for a while, but the lexus tech that did maintenance on my car a while back checked all four pads and there was still at least 70% pad left... so i was pretty sure i'm safe... but i guess i'm gonna have to check that out some more then... heh always good to know that something's wrong with this car...

kev

if you are having a mechanic check your rear brakes have them check the emergency brake setup also. ES's have a drum in disc style e-brake set up. These tend to get crusty and rusty from lack of use. If it is not you rear brake pads, it may just be the e-brake mechanism needs a thorough cleaning. This was the case for a friend of mine's 96 ES.

steviej

hey steve, see in my case, the rear brakes squeal unless i apply my brakes... and then when i pull on the handbrake, there's a slight squeal from the tightening of the calipers i'm guessing. not sure if it just needs a small oil down or something.

kev

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm 90% sure its the brakes but check this out -

it never happens when you apply the brake, only when driving around or on the freeway and it will just start. Wierd, but I'll have the brakes checked and eliminate that and go from there.

Thanks again ;)