'00 Es300 - Iacv Clean / Valve Cover Gasket Swap - In Progress - P

rg1

Hello fellow owners...just wanted to post something about the job I am doing...I am still in progress and hope to complete tomorrow.

So far, I have removed the throttle body and air hoses, removed the IACV from the throttle body and removed the intake manifold. What a job! I had never worked on this before, and I didnt really have all the right metric sockets and wrenches for the job. I do now :) Made several trips to parts store and hope depot. Got two nice little cuts on left hand. :lol:

I will update this thread with more information, however I just wanted to post as much as I could tonite before I forget.

In terms of tools, definitely needed 12mm 13mm 14mm open wrenches and sockets and 14mm short socket for the bolt that connects the rear of the intake to the support bracket.

I actually started off trying to remove the round part with the butterfly that connects to the air hose, which is right on top of the IACV. I realized that this was wrong and I have to remove the entire throttle body.

I removed a lot of the tiny vaccum lines to move these big parts out of the way so I can access the valve cover in the rear. I am somewhat concerned that when the go back on they may not be as tight as they were previously. Does anyone have any suggestions / comments about this? I may just buy some tiny alligator clamps and secure the lines.

Also, I noticed that the valve covers bolts were not as tight as I expected. I would say it was 1 notch tighter than hand tightened. At the dealer when I purchased the gaskets, I asked them if there were any torque specs. There were a few service guys floating around and they said to hand-tighten them. They were nice enough to give me diagrams as well (which was not expected).

The 4 screws on the IACV were a !Removed! to remove as everyone else who has post about this mentioned. I was only able to get one of them off without a vice-grip. I definitely plan on replacing these screws with hex-bolts.

Definitely had coolant leakage as expected.

I read something about first starting up the car after the IACV was cleaned. Something to the effect that it may take a while for the car to re-calibrate the IACV. Any comments on this?

Felt good to turn them wrenches. I hope everything works out tomorrow. Thanks to all for reading.

I got to the point where I was removing the rear valve cover and I couldnt do it. In the front of the of the motor (on the passenger side) it appears that there was a metal cover that the valve cover needs to clear. Im convinced that this needed to be removed. Since I needed the car operational tomorrow, I put everything back together. I used a little RTV where the valve cover was leaking.

Does anyone know what I am taking about in the front of the motor? Seems there is a metal bracket / cover for the camshaft pulleys or something.

If I can figure out what the procedure is to remove that cover / bracket or whatever it is, I may attempt again.

Hello fellow owners...just wanted to post something about the job I am doing...I am still in progress and hope to complete tomorrow.

So far, I have removed the throttle body and air hoses, removed the IACV from the throttle body and removed the intake manifold. What a job! I had never worked on this before, and I didnt really have all the right metric sockets and wrenches for the job. I do now :) Made several trips to parts store and hope depot. Got two nice little cuts on left hand. :lol:

I will update this thread with more information, however I just wanted to post as much as I could tonite before I forget.

In terms of tools, definitely needed 12mm 13mm 14mm open wrenches and sockets and 14mm short socket for the bolt that connects the rear of the intake to the support bracket.

I actually started off trying to remove the round part with the butterfly that connects to the air hose, which is right on top of the IACV. I realized that this was wrong and I have to remove the entire throttle body.

I removed a lot of the tiny vaccum lines to move these big parts out of the way so I can access the valve cover in the rear. I am somewhat concerned that when the go back on they may not be as tight as they were previously. Does anyone have any suggestions / comments about this? I may just buy some tiny alligator clamps and secure the lines.

Also, I noticed that the valve covers bolts were not as tight as I expected. I would say it was 1 notch tighter than hand tightened. At the dealer when I purchased the gaskets, I asked them if there were any torque specs. There were a few service guys floating around and they said to hand-tighten them. They were nice enough to give me diagrams as well (which was not expected).

The 4 screws on the IACV were a !Removed! to remove as everyone else who has post about this mentioned. I was only able to get one of them off without a vice-grip. I definitely plan on replacing these screws with hex-bolts.

Definitely had coolant leakage as expected.

I read something about first starting up the car after the IACV was cleaned. Something to the effect that it may take a while for the car to re-calibrate the IACV. Any comments on this?

Felt good to turn them wrenches. I hope everything works out tomorrow. Thanks to all for reading.

how did it turn out for you? is the iavc the other black unit on the throttle body. i know one is the TPS.

thanks,

Chriss

[

how did it turn out for you? is the iavc the other black unit on the throttle body. i know one is the TPS.

thanks,

Chriss

The IACV worked out pretty well. I had a problem removing the valve cover and since I was running out of time, I had to reassemble everything so I can use the car the following day.

The IACV is the part that is under the right side of the throttle body. Check out this thread for details (its on the RX but...you get the idea).. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=30723&hl=

I will say that on the ES, its much easier to remove the entire throttle body and flip upside down and remove the IACV. Its just 3 bolts to remove, some vaccum lines and some other tubes that are clamped on. The 4 screws to actually remove the IACV are on pretty darn tight and you most likely will need a vice grip and you will want to replace them with bolts afterwards.

I think I will attempt the valve cover gasket job again once I figure out what I was doing wrong.