Need Extended Warranty ?

pbvhome

Hello

I have recently got GX470 2006 model and I have until end of the year for my original mfr warranty. I never owned lexus but heard lot about its dependability.

Should I be really be having Extended warranty if I look forward to have the vehicle for at least 3-4+ years ? Or will I be risking more not having it ?

Appreciate your inputs from current/past owners

Thanks

In my personal opinion, as long as you properly maintain it, i dont think you should be needing extended warranty. My GX is one of the first to come out, and I never bought the extended warranty and so far no problems (knocks on wood)...

;)

In my personal opinion, as long as you properly maintain it, i dont think you should be needing extended warranty. My GX is one of the first to come out, and I never bought the extended warranty and so far no problems (knocks on wood)...

;)

I have been torn with this topic recently as well as I am trying to decide if the costs of the warranty are necessary, and I am approaching the 50K mark on my '05 GX470 that will increase this cost once I reach it. (Incidentally, for those considering an extended warranty I was given advice from a dealer that it is more to your advantage if you wait until your original warranty expires before purchasing an extended one, as long as the vehicle is still under 50K miles, you will get better time/mileage terms for your money). On one hand I rationalize that I bought a Lexus for its quality and reliability, which apparently is no exception when it comes to the GX470. And then on the other hand, I've had several people suggest that it is a worthwhile safeguard (on any vehicle in this class) due to all of the computers and electronics that are in the vehicle; the repair of just one of these could potentially exceed the cost of the warranty. Any further thoughts on this topic?

Also, I'll have to go back and look to one of the other threads as well, but I believe someone had suggested a particular dealer somewhere in the country to purchase an extended warranty. Was my original thinking wrong that the Lexus warranty program was a standard price determined by the desired length and/or mileage, or is this something that can be comparison shopped (I am only referring to the Lexus authorized warranties, not from third parties that often send out mailers)? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

• 11 months later...

I purchased an extended warranty for my 2004 GX 470 at 50K to 100K. It was the best purchase I ever made. I found a good price from a Toyota dealer in New Jersey for $1900. I have since had over $7000 in warranty items. I only wish I could find a policy to extend from 100k to 125k. Hope this answers your question.

I have a 05 GX470 with around 37K miles on it. Factory warranty has since expired. Will I still be able to get Lexus Platinum extended warranty? If so, do you have any suggestions where I can get it at a reasonable price?

Thx

Definitly. I had the driveshaft, height sensors, rain sensor replaced. I keep going back for a problem with the rear end bottoming out and they can't figure it ou but when they so its going to be big money. This is all within 6 months of purchase. Later on down the road when they get like 10 years old that rear air ride is going to deteriorate completely.

I have a 05 GX470 with around 37K miles on it. Factory warranty has since expired. Will I still be able to get Lexus Platinum extended warranty? If so, do you have any suggestions where I can get it at a reasonable price?

Thx

Hello

I have recently got GX470 2006 model and I have until end of the year for my original mfr warranty. I never owned lexus but heard lot about its dependability.

Should I be really be having Extended warranty if I look forward to have the vehicle for at least 3-4+ years ? Or will I be risking more not having it ?

Appreciate your inputs from current/past owners

Thanks

When I bought my used 06 GX, I wondered about the same thing. I gave it a little thought and went ahead with purchasing the Lexus Platinum warranty. For me, it gave me piece of mind for the next few years that any major trouble I have with the vehicle won't cost me an arm and a leg to get repaired.

Just last week I took her in for the 60K service and the service advisor called to say that my radiator was leaking fluid and I had to have it replaced at a cost of $1000. I'm skeptical in nature and doubted this was true since I hadn't seen any indication of a radiator leak in my garage or driveway. The advisor assured me it was a small leak and only under the "intense" inspeciton of the technician it was found. He guessed that within the next 1000 miles it would have gone completely out. So when pressed to approve the repair I asked if it was under warranty and it turns out it was. So, buying the warranty has almost paid for itself in first repair.

I guess it comes down to you and your comfort level....for me? I'm glad I bought it.

JABDAD