Go With Oem Hid Or Hid Kit

New to Lexus Owners Club, and to the Lexus family in general.

My 2003 ES300 has Composite Halogen Headlights, and yes, I've experimented all types of Halogen bulbs on previous cars, the only ones remotely close to delivering decent light are Silverstars. I'm trying out Philips Crystal Vision currently, and they are fine for now I guess, but obviously will never compare to HID, I know.

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of replacing my current composite headlights with replacement OEM HID ES300 headlights, rather than purchasing a Xenon Kit, since I've read here and there that those could still damage the original non-HID housing, correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is:

How complex would it be to replace the OEM non-HID lights with OEM HID lights, versus installing an HID kit? I know some will say, the cost of the original lights may be more, but cost aside, which would be the better solution, or is there any major difference.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

First off, you should not retrofit non-HID's housings to accomodate HID's. It's illegal. If you modify non-HID housings to fit HID, you'll be blinding everyone else on the road. Here's more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

The only way to do it legally is to replace the entire housing and assembly with HID headlights designed for your vehicle (OEM or aftermarket).

First off, you should not retrofit non-HID's housings to accomodate HID's. It's illegal. If you modify non-HID housings to fit HID, you'll be blinding everyone else on the road. Here's more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

The only way to do it legally is to replace the entire housing and assembly with HID headlights designed for your vehicle (OEM or aftermarket).

Thanks for the helpful info. I wondered if that may be the case, but wasn't certain. I would have checked before installing anything, but that rules out an either/or option. Now, my question is, how labor intensive would it be to have OE or aftermarket ES300 housings for HIDs installed, replacing the current halogen setup? Would this require professional assistance, or would a DIY be possible, recommended?

Thanks for the helpful info. I wondered if that may be the case, but wasn't certain. I would have checked before installing anything, but that rules out an either/or option. Now, my question is, how labor intensive would it be to have OE or aftermarket ES300 housings for HIDs installed, replacing the current halogen setup? Would this require professional assistance, or would a DIY be possible, recommended?

"Someone I know" has HID bulbs and ballasts retrofitted in his car's halogen housings and they have not caused any problems and look fine. I must say they are rather bright and the beams were adjusted using a screwdriver to level the beams.

The problem is that HID's light is generated with an 'arc' (short-arc Xenon systems are common). That light isn't a single point-source and doesn't work like a filament point source with the standard headlight reflector system bezels. HID's are focused using projector style headlights. The spectrum generated from HID bulbs in a standard reflector is this HUGE wide "spray" of light. Even adjusted down it's hard not to blind others on the roadway. Kluthage421, your friend may not have had any 'problems', but I'm pretty sure he's passed a few people at night and had them say a few choice words for how bright his lights are... but he'll never hear them.... until they come from a cop who has pulled him over.

BlackonyxES300, HID retrofit kits are something you should be able to do yourself if you are mildly mechanically inclined. Only, I don't see any full kits available for your vehicle, so you are left with finding an OEM system... that may not be so set up to retrofit. I've never done it before, so I can't say for sure. It seems one alternative is to find OEM HID headlight housings, then buy and aftermarket kit... that shouldn't be too hard to retrofit, assuming the housings have the same shape, size, and mounts.

It sounds like it might be a lot of effort and money to get the HID results.