02' Es300 Brake Pads?

chriss

Here's the thing. i want to start changing my own brake pads. i know nothing about brake pads (good with machines though) except some are ceramic and can have a percentage of metal in them...i think

anyway, i'm a big fan of a good value for the money. what's most affordable and works fine/better than fine?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

PS any idea why my steering wheel shakes like a !Removed! when i slow down on the highway? brakes again?

Brake pads are pretty easy. Tire comes off, loosen the caliper, pop the pads out. Compress the caliper with a bigass C-clamp, put new pads in, tighten everything up, maybe throw in a bleed-sesh, and you're through. Of course these are the abbreviated instructions, but it's not too hard to figure out. Get a Chilton's.

I have nothing special, just Raybestos ceramic pads to keep my wheels a little cleaner; like 50 bucks a set at Schucks/Auto Zone. I DID crack one of them once and had to replace, but it was kind of almost on purpose. I'd be interested in knowing what the best bang for your buck is, also.

Oh, and wheel shake? I've almost ALWAYS found that your wheels need balancing if you steering wheel shakes at speed. If it shakes like mad at, say, 65 MPH, but stops if you go 75, go get a cheap balance job done. Your problem, however, sounds like warped rotors. Easy as brake pads to replace, just bring a mallet!

chriss, I'm curious about how long front and rear brake pads last on an 02 ES300. How do you know when the pads need to be replaced? Do you let the pads wear down to a millimeter or so before you replace them? Does the 02 ES have brake pad wear sensors that tell you when pads need replacing? I'm just curious.

The longevity of your brake pads depends on your driving habits and type of pads. I just had to replace the pads and rotors today on my wifes G35 after 53k because of agressive nature of the pads and her Michael Schumacher driving style. There is actually a law suit based on the pads and rotors, but that shouldn't be a problem with your car. I had very limited tools and completed the task in 4 hours and 2 beers. Just go very slow, clean off the brackets around the pads with carb cleaner, and make sure that you tighten everything and then retighten and recheck your work. It's your life. Your shaking does sound like a warped rotor. You can have them resurfaced if they aren't too bad. It's an easier project than it seems. Good luck.

I'd just buy OEM Lexus pads, can't go wrong there.

I actually looked at my records last night because my mechanic told me mine may need brakes in the next 5-10k miles. I last replaced them 35,000 miles ago (seems like yesterday, I drive so much), and the set before that had 45k on them. First rear pads were at 52k and again at 97k.

I don't believe there are wear indicators, or if there are mine were replaced before it hit them.

Wheel shake when braking is almost always warped rotors. They will need to be machined or replaced when you do your brake job.

Just a few last questions..

BTW i do a lot of town and highway driving.

1)is OEM a manufacturer name? or does is stand for "other equipment manufacturer"? if so who should i look to for pads and rotors. remember i'm looking for best quality lowest price(we're in a recession).

2)who has a favorite website (and could you post it) where i can get brakes and rotors.

3) do brakes and rotors need to "match"?

ALSO, THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE HAVE REPLIED TO MY INITIAL POST. I APPRECIATE YOU ALL TAKING TIME TO PASS IT FORWARD.

Chriss

Just a few last questions..

BTW i do a lot of town and highway driving.

1)is OEM a manufacturer name? or does is stand for "other equipment manufacturer"? if so who should i look to for pads and rotors. remember i'm looking for best quality lowest price(we're in a recession).

2)who has a favorite website (and could you post it) where i can get brakes and rotors.

3) do brakes and rotors need to "match"?

ALSO, THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE HAVE REPLIED TO MY INITIAL POST. I APPRECIATE YOU ALL TAKING TIME TO PASS IT FORWARD.

Chriss

1)OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Lexus parts will say "Toyota Genuine Parts" on the package.

2)Several fast,reliable Lexus dealers available online for parts. Realize brake rotors are heavy parts and a good price online may not be so good with extra shipping charges added to the bill. Park Place Lexus Plano often has good OEM prices for many parts. Need to shop around, prices always changing.

3)You can do limited mix and match with pads and rotors, provided manufacturers claim each part is designed for your application. Must replace parts on a per axle basis. Four new Lexus pads with two new, X brand, aftermarket rotors, all on same axle, is OK.

I would buy the parts from RockAuto.com Try Akebono pads (very good pads) and Brembo Disk rotors. I also suggest picking up a Haynes auto manual for the Do it yourself instructions. Then learn. You will save lots of money, and any questions of uncertainty ask here for tips...by the way the RX300 goes an easy 75 k miles on a set of pads...

I had heard that i could go to a toyota dealer and get brakes and rotors for the same year Camry. Is it true that these would fit my 02' es300 just as well as getting the parts from lexus.

Chriss

ps ordered the haynes manual yesterday..thanks

Or you could just order them online and be sure you're getting the same part...they may or may not be the same:

www.lexuspartsonline.com

www.sewellpartsonline.com

www.parkplaceplanoparts.com

My guess is these guys will be cheaper than Toyota too...

I had heard that i could go to a toyota dealer and get brakes and rotors for the same year Camry. Is it true that these would fit my 02' es300 just as well as getting the parts from lexus.

The brakes on the ES and Camry are not the same in 2002 -- at least not on the front. They were the same on the previous generation of the Camry and ES. You can see the part numbers for the 02 Camry and 02 ES on this website: http://www.toyodiy.com/

I recently took the Wife's 2003 Subaru in to the dealer for some routine service....switched back to all season tires, brake fluid flush (ATE Super Blue) & was told she now needs new brakes front & rear....including rotors (had a second opinion to confirm).....I just did the pads & rotors 2 years ago so I was less than impressed....I can relate to the aggressive driving style comment earlier in this thread.....I have since had to 'adjust' her driving style so this should not happen as often. :rolleyes:

I've decided to go with Brembo 'plain' rotors with Hawk HPS pads all around which I have heard very good things about. I don't think Hawk makes an HPS pad for the 2002 - 2006 ES however.....so I too would vote for a set of the OEM's.

:cheers: