Yokohama Avid V4s On Rx330

HipsterDoofus

I'm looking for a nice 18" performance tire for my RX330 and the Yokohama AVID V4S looks like a strong candidate. From reading old threads it looks like a few forum members had decided to give these a try and I'm wondering what people think after a few years of use. I'm especially interested in experiences on the RX's rather than the TireRack reviews on other cars (i.e. I'm not sure someone's experience on a 5-series BMW or Accord is relevant to the RX).

I know the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas are very highly regarded in this forum. Having driven the stock Michelins on my wife's '09 RX350, I'm not sure a quiet comfortable ride is my top priority. I'm more interested in taut, crisp handling and good dry traction / cornering (think X5 or Cayenne rather than 4Runner). And where I live I never drive the RX in snow so that is also not a factor.

Tire Rack stats

If you have used these, please share your experience / opinions.

You'll be wasting your money putting the Avids on an RX. It is the furthest thing from a performance vehicle out there. Go with the Alenzas instead. When they outlast a set of Avids by going twice the distance the Avids would have gone two to three years from now, you'll be glad you did....

... an RX. It is the furthest thing from a performance vehicle out there.
I think a drive in my '92 Landcruiser might change your mind on that point. ;)

I'm not expecting the RX to hang with my 350Z but I think performance equivalent or better than a 3.0 L X5 would be achievable. I like the X5 ride and handling a lot but don't like BMW reliability relative to Lexus. I suspect shocks, Eibach or H&R springs and some stickier tires would go a long way to improving the RX's handling.

Go with the Alenzas instead. When they outlast a set of Avids by going twice the distance the Avids would have gone two to three years from now, you'll be glad you did....

I haven't written off the Alenzas yet and I may end up getting some. The narrower tread width and truck-tire appearance are two features I don't particularly care for.

Trust me. Get the Alenzas. You won't regret it. Ours are pushing 48,000 miles and still going strong. They have never, ever hydroplaned, which not many tires approaching 50,000 miles can still say....

On a side note, I was just perusing my old friend and favorite musician on the planet's website after a recent e-mail conversation with him and thought I caught a quick glimpse of the "Hipster Doofus" moniker on there somewhere, maybe in the "Kudos Comments" category. I take it you're also a Don Dixon fan?