Rx300 Tire Rotation

wolfie212003

All 4 tires weren't bald, but they were each showing signs of wear. I've got AWD 99 RX300, bought new in 00. Front 2 were showing lots of wear. Now they're looking ok. Been about 6 mths' since gotten all new tires.

What do you think it could have been - your post implied that rotating wouldnt have been "the answer."

thanks

$116 isnt too much to have this done at a Lexus dealer but those are both things that you could easily do yourself if you're so inclined and have a decent space to work in. I'd say you could do both within an hour with a cost of of about $30 (assuming synthetic oil). If I'm not mistaken the tire "rotation" is just a back-to-front switch on each side so you never really have to have the whole vehicle off the ground. Again, though, its really a personal preference; this weekend here it was 70 degrees F with clear skies, I know this is not the case in many parts of the US so that $116 would look like money well spent to me if it were 20 F outside.

As for the wear, the back front rotation just evens out the wear and keeps the fronts from wearing out much faster than the rears, in every vehicle I've owned the fronts wear on the outside edges. This became a more serious problem on my last vehicle since the tires cost over $100 each. Thats when I began religiously rotating and that really helped. I know its probably the way I drive but what can ya do!

tmastres, i'm with ya there - probably the way i drive explains the problems i had. since then, I've also been religiously rotatin. Dont want to blow $115 on a tire x 4 next time. At least, not till I'm really due :-)

I live in CT. We're having close to 0 degree weather now. Hey - wipe the grin off your face - I'm gettin my money's worth with $116 :-)

bye

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, I am in a debate to myself whether or not if I should take it to a 30k check up and was thinking if I can do it myself. I do need to change my brakes soon. I've rounded up alot of miles so far...about 50k+ miles now. Any tech docs on brake system out there too on the web regarding RX300 2001? Thanks.

When you really break it down, $116 isn't a bad deal when you've got a loaner. The "acceptable" rate for an oil change is $25 right? What would renting a car of the caliber you get as a loaner from Lexus run you? $70? Having the tires rotated is another $20 at least, $120. Gotta remember the loaner isn't free, so always get one because you pay for it either way.

And they need to be rotated in a criss cross fashion as specified in the manual.

Well, as I'm reading this post, I'm mentally jotting down some info. I too

live in the Western MA area, purchased my 2001 through a CT dealership, and

I'm wondering about future service (only had my car since November). Not

totally thrilled with dealer in my area, but I'll return to CT as long as it's

reasonable and well-cared for. Also, I don't think $116 is a bad price for

OLF and rotation. Plan to keep my car for years, so a little TLC will extend

it's life.

I'm somewhat interested in hearing from lexus_romeo about service from

CT. Drop me a line, please--I'm open to input.

PharmGuy

Pharmguy,

I bought / service my car from Hoffman Group in E.Htfd. I thought the sale went very smoothly--at least, I got a killing for my tradein :-) I bought the Rx after having been on a long waiting list, when it first came out. I put together a spreadsheet of all the CT dealer/service shops to compare prices for OLF + rotation. E.htfd definitely has the best price. Plus, I get the loaner for the day. Nice new loaded RX for a loaner - hey, that's gotta be worth at least $20 :-)

Kudos to those guys. I do all my homework before taking it in for service, though. Soon coming up on my 60k wallet-buster / ballbreaker service, but I'm working on saving up for it..

Good luck

Hey romeo,

Thanks for the info---- bought mine used from the same dealership.

They certainly wanted my business, as they knew I had been to the

closer dealer in W.MA. Picked up mine at 55K, so I insisted on having them

do the 60K items before I drove it off the lot.

Their service department was great too. It was done as promised. No

hitchs or delays. So thanks again on the info for OLF and tire rotations.

PharmGuy

Regarding the 60k service, I posted a question last week that drew NO response so I'm still wondering if the 60k is in fact the big service with the timing belt replace? Looking in the manual the 60k doesnt look like they do that much more than a regular scheduled service, at least nothing that would be truly expensive. I couldnt find the timing belt replace until 90k. Go figure

Hey Romeo,

Thanks for the info, I had Tom R. as my salesperson. Great guy. After, we

got to talking, I found out I worked for his uncle in my younger??? days.

He knew I was interested in certified, and the Rx-2001 I got only was on the lot

for 4 days. As far as the trade, I tried the self-sell but only got a couple hits.

Unfortunately, one of the people that looked at it, never called back until too

late. Told him where I traded it in, but they turned it around that quickly.

Again, thanks to OLF and rotation info----drive carefully, and keep it

touch.

PharmGuy

Regarding all the tire talk: All the RX330s I have seen in showrooms had Michelin tires (I believe MRXV4 or some name like that). What make are these bald tires? Did any of the cars discussed come with Goodyear or Bridgestone tires?

Edwin M.

Here in WinterLand, I drive on Bridgestone Dueler DM-Z2 (truck Blizzaks) and they are the best winter tires I ever used (truck and car)! During summer, I drive on Michelin Xterrains and they provide a great highway ride. Over the last 15 years, I purchased over 8 sets of tires from the same tire dealership: I get free rotation (every 5000 M) and season change on two cars. I always change all four tires, this is very important for AWD cars.

I tend to run on tires with their psi on the high side: it will wear out the center thread faster, regardless of rotation. Cheap price for better control.

Good luck

JB