Valve Shim Adjustments

Marklouis

I was wondering if anyone actually had to adjust thier valves with shims, i havent checked mine yet, but was just wondering about the difficulty of the job if I needed to adjust mine any when i do check them....

....I couldnt find anywhere on the post where someone actually had to adjust them.

Thanks! B)

to put it in perspective...

If you have a mechanic do this job it's around ~$600.

Very labor intensive, and only for seasoned mechanics.

....labor intensive....seasoned mechanics...$600 - $1100 bucks....

well, as a semi-wise man once put it, "if it aint broke, don't fix it!"

i think i will at least check the clearances at the recomended engine temp with my flats gauge as im changing my valve cover gaskets, and if its too far out of spec - i will have it "profesionally done" but im gonna have to watch him/her do it....it's just tough for me to put my baby's care in someone elses hands. :(

thanks for the replies Crome and Fatty!

i think i will at least check the clearances at the recomended engine temp with my flats gauge as im changing my valve cover gaskets, and if its too far out of spec - i will have it "profesionally done" but im gonna have to watch him/her do it....it's just tough for me to put my baby's care in someone elses hands. :(

thanks for the replies Crome and Fatty!

Mark, since you're a diy, if you're going to check the clearances, you may as well know how to adjust them. Here's what you're looking for:

http://lextreme.com/valve_clearance.html

The adjustment method is exactly the same as for old Ferraris and Fiats, Volvos, VW liquid cooled, Audis, and so on. Nothing particularly tough EXCEPT that one needs the depressing tool for the bucket follower, and a selection of shims to adjust the final clearance. It's just a time-consuming procedure, one valve at a time.

thanks for the link blacktop!...will definately tackle this job after i get back from the great state of Texas.

I use to work on old Ferrari's all the time SRK!! :rolleyes: I WISH!! the shims are available at one o' these parts stores, ive seen them listed before..and the "depressing tool" i can borrow from a Guru Tuner i know.

Marishka Hagitay!! :lol: