Driver Wheel Turned Inside Out...

oohryry

So I'm told my left inner tie rod end has play in it. So I order one from RockAuto.com and have it put on at my favorite Midas in Glen Burnie, Md with an alignment on Feb. 24, 2009. $255.02 total labor with tax. I notice now that the steering will not return automatically when i make a turn. I called them and figured maybe the tie rod was put on too tight maybe. They said bring it back, so I waited for a day they weren't too busy which was yesterday. They checked everything, did not find any play in any of the ball joints or tie rods. They told me it may be the rack and pinion is not getting fluid to return possibly and gave me an estimate for the rack and pinion if that's the problem. Today on my way to work my driver side wheel came off the ball that holds it and spun inside out on I-695 shredding my tire and damaging my side fender, I was able to pull off the highway with my passenger wheel steering me while the driver wheel pulled me to a screeching smoking stop. Good thing I'm not the type that panics.

What I would like to know is that if it was no play in any of the joints or rods after the inspection, what could have caused my wheel to pop off the joint? The highway was clear and had no potholes, although I don't think a pothole would even make my wheel pop off if there was one. If there is no play in the joints how do you know when they need replacement? I thought I did everything I knew possible to keep my suspension maintained so this would not ever occur. What causes your wheel to pop off the joint? All mechanical advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Make sure you have the reciept and description of the work they did, it doesnt have to be detailed, but make sure your insurance company knows of the repairs done on your car before the accident - have them fix your car and let them battle it out with Midas - this may be a possible way you should do it...i wouldnt even call Midas, let your insurance agent inform you first!

Sorry bout your car man...thats awful! but good thing you arent hurt!

I agree that the mechanic screwed up somewhere. I had a mechanic replace my brake light switch on my Mach 1 Mustang while in college, and he forgot to put the pin back in that connects the pedal to the brakes!

I was scared to death as I careened down a hill with the pedal doing nothing and a t-junction coming up! Rolled through it and up onto a hillside lawn. Got out looked on the floor board and there was the pin! Put it back in and drove to the mechanic. "Well as long as nothing happened, what do you want me to do about it?"

One of the many events that made me start reading about car repairs and watch the DIY shows.

God you could have been killed so easy! Talk to a lawyer ASAP!

I've spoken with my claims adviser and he went to Midas and looked at the car was as confused as I was as to how I took the car in the day before to have it evaluated and they found nothing wrong with the ball joint. Well, he said I have to pay for the ball joint which caused the damage which Midas said will cost me $280.02 and the insurance will pay for the rest if any other suspension damage has occurred due to the wheel falling off and the fender and wheel well damage and tire and rim minus my deductible. Yes it sucks and they told him I was there yesterday to have it checked out but they couldn't find anything wrong and that maybe the part was just worn really bad but shown no signs. I can't take the risk of more damage by putting it up on the tow truck again and the adjuster agreed with that. However, he told me to get my own parts and not go through Midas mark ups for the tire and rim and the insurance will also cover the alignment. But this still sucks. I guess I have to start getting my checkups at the nearest Lexus dealer now. Thanks to all for your help and yes even though it didn't scare me I am still thankful to God I am alive. Thanks Fam. If anyone knows how this unit separates or has any pics or info on how this occurs or what causes it please post. Talk to ya soon. Gotta drive down Virginia now and borrow one of my sisters vehicles she doesn't use.

I'd call WJZ news in Baltimore. I bet they'd love to do a little story on Midas and how this happened to you one day after having that very component inspected. These kinds of things don't just happen...

I'd call WJZ news in Baltimore. I bet they'd love to do a little story on Midas and how this happened to you one day after having that very component inspected. These kinds of things don't just happen...

+1 ASAP