Rx330 Remote Doesn't Activate Rear Hatch

HipsterDoofus

My master key starts the engine and the remote locks and unlocks the side doors. However, the "PWR DOOR" button on the remote does not open or close the rear hatch. I know the mechanisms of the rear power door work because the interior dash button will activate it.

This vehicle is a 2004 RX 330 which is new to me. When I bought the vehicle I was given a valet key, the broken off metal shaft of the original master and an uncut off-brand shell containing what I was told is the remote guts of the original master.

I took the pieces to the local Lexus dealer, bought a factory shell and had them cut the key to match the old master shaft and install the remote guts into the factory shell. My new key works for all but the rear hatch.

Any ideas how to get the remote working with the rear hatch?

Welcome to the LOC, :D Are you holding down the button on the remote for atleast two seconds? The button won't activate the system if you just briefly click it. If so, then it may be something programmed in the LPS. I know that certain features can be deactivated in the LPS such as remote rolling down of the windows via the keyfob.

Thanks - your advice is spot on. I was holding down the button within 1 meter or so of the vehicle. Looking thru the owner's manual again, I see "this feature may be set inoperative" in regard to the remote power rear door.

It is likely one of those preferences set by the dealer and only the dealer can reset. I thought I remembered DIY instructions but those must have been for the RX300 or another vehicle.

Also, (you probably know this, but just in case) all of the doors have to be unlocked for the remote to open the hatch.

That is not the case for the factory default settings (on my RX350). Remote hatch button works whether the dorrs are unlocked or locked. In fact, the manual stresses the need to verify/re-lock the doors after the hatch closes because this does not automatically re-lock the hatch. [i have not checked whether remotely opening the hatch also unlocks the doors. I do not think it does].