Engine Dies While Driving And While Idioling

(yes i have searched the threads and found nothing) It all started when I was driving the car home from work one day going about 80mph with the traffice, then all of the sudden the car just shuts down. I have to pull off the road quickly. Once to the side, I had power and I would try to start the car it is started up fine. But it would not stay idoled for very long. Oddly enough I took the key completely out and it started right back up with no problems. It has done that to me again as well. I thought it may have been the gas grade, so I have made sure I am always using premium with fuel cleaner as well. But that doesn't seem to help.

This morning, the car was sitting at idol while I was dropping my son off at daycare. It just died again. I would crank but instantly die again. I tried the method of taking the key complete out of the ignition, like I have before, but still wouldn't stay cranked.

After a few minutes I cranked up fine...

Where do I even start at to find a cause/problem that needs to be fixed? Has this happened to anyone else? I have a 92 sc400 with only 80,000 miles on it. It has been garage kept when not in used and serviced regularly.

• 2 months later...

Had Same problem. Took it to dealer and it took them a week to duplicate problem. Finnaly called them and told them that I was heading in to pick up car and they told me that they had finnaly got the car to die. They told me that it was a bad Fuel Pump Control Unit (sits on the back quarter panel behind driver).

Very expensive part (500.00) They want $500.00 to install as well.

(yes i have searched the threads and found nothing) It all started when I was driving the car home from work one day going about 80mph with the traffice, then all of the sudden the car just shuts down. I have to pull off the road quickly. Once to the side, I had power and I would try to start the car it is started up fine. But it would not stay idoled for very long. Oddly enough I took the key completely out and it started right back up with no problems. It has done that to me again as well. I thought it may have been the gas grade, so I have made sure I am always using premium with fuel cleaner as well. But that doesn't seem to help.

This morning, the car was sitting at idol while I was dropping my son off at daycare. It just died again. I would crank but instantly die again. I tried the method of taking the key complete out of the ignition, like I have before, but still wouldn't stay cranked.

Where do I even start at to find a cause/problem that needs to be fixed? Has this happened to anyone else? I have a 92 sc400 with only 80,000 miles on it. It has been garage kept when not in used and serviced regularly.

I had this problem when i first got my car. I took it to a few places and they all said it was my fuel pump but I had just bought the car and the previous owner had just replaced the fuel pump with a good after market pump. after much research it turned out to be the fuel pump "sensor" which you have to get from Lexus, and the sensor is like 450! outrageous. hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

(yes i have searched the threads and found nothing) It all started when I was driving the car home from work one day going about 80mph with the traffice, then all of the sudden the car just shuts down.

THIS was a timely post...! Because the same thing just happened to me yesterday. Several times, with symptoms just like this post, and finally resulting in the car being in the shop. I have a '94 SC400 with 185K on it.

Of note, my caution lites have been "throwing" an EGR valve problem for 4 months now, and I've run the car with no performance problems or MPG problems. However, the wrench-turners want to replace the EGR valve at a hefty price.

The symptoms make me think it's a fuel problem, and I confess it's been over 100K since the filter MAY have been changed. I'm going to suggest that to the garage as the first thing to do.

EGR valve... anyone with experience with this, and with it's problems?

They want to replace the EGR valves? Is your car choking/shaking? Kind of unusual.

ANy chance the car is turning off and on?

Thanks for the reply, no choking/shaking, just the untimely shutdowns. Took it to a competent mechanic, who examined the EGR valve, and says the diagnostics he ran on the valve showed it was OK, so he's going to clean it up a bit. Then he looks at my car (with its 185K on it) and says "have you ever replaced the cables/rotor & caps? It all looks like original equipment, and by the way, it wears out!" So, he'll do a complete tune-up, and then resume...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

'92 SC400 and have run into similar problem several times in the past couple of years, and about a half dozen times in the past month. Driving along at highway speed, and the engine just stops producing any power. Check engine light comes on. Electrical still works, lights on, radio on. Have to get to shoulder, stop and put the car in park, before starting it again. So far I've been lucky and it has restarted after several attempts.

Plan to take it to a local garage tomorrow and see what they say. Not keen on dropping a grand on parts and labour to get it fixed, but the car is in good shape and only has 113k miles. It spent a dozen years in California and 3 in Tennessee before it was imported to Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

'92 SC400 and have run into similar problem several times in the past couple of years, and about a half dozen times in the past month. Driving along at highway speed, and the engine just stops producing any power. Check engine light comes on. Electrical still works, lights on, radio on. Have to get to shoulder, stop and put the car in park, before starting it again. So far I've been lucky and it has restarted after several attempts.

Plan to take it to a local garage tomorrow and see what they say. Not keen on dropping a grand on parts and labour to get it fixed, but the car is in good shape and only has 113k miles. It spent a dozen years in California and 3 in Tennessee before it was imported to Canada.

July 12/10. Problem was a faulty electronic fuel injection control module. Fortunately this was an approx. $50 part.

I had the same problem, ,my car would just stall and shut down in the middle of the highway. We thought it was the fuel pump or filter and it turned out to the be an electrical problem, which is what the dealer told us and they were able to fix it. Hope this helps

-craig

• 4 years later...

After being overseas for 3 years, I recently started driving my 1992 SC300 again. During that time, the car has been garaged in SoCal.

As a prerequisite to start driving again, I had to have an ignition interlock device installed on my car.

About 3 days ago, I noticed that my car's engine just went out while I was driving. Luckily, I was able to restart it while it was still moving and ddin't experience any ill effects. Since then, these untimely engine deaths have been becoming more frequent. I just recently was able to get my vehicle back in a garage after it went out 4 times while driving less than 10 miles.

Right before the engine dies, giving the car gas does absolutely nothing and I can see my rpm's drop until the engien shuts off. The lights, radio, and instrument panel all remain lit while this is happening. Sometimes, giving it gas will do nothing, but the engine won't shut off and if I continue, I can accelerate again. I'm going to have the car checked out by a reputable repair guy, but is there anything else I should suggest to the shop besides what has been already mentioned?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Sure seems like others have had similar problems as I have been experiencing.

Yes, all of this started when the EGR valve was replaced with a used one that the mechanic found at a junk yard. Problem continued and so the same mechanic replaced it with another used EGR value. I drove the car less than two miles each time and the car would vibrate at a stop. I then decided to go to a Lexus Dealership thinking they would be able to fix the problem. They had the car on and off for nearly three months and replaced all kinds of things, and now the car won't even start up at all. 

I plan to print out all of the information posted here and share it with yet another mechanic, who has been highly recommended.

I really appreciate the information being shared here. Thank you.