Brake Paddle Feeling Too Soft

trips1

I am only slightly mechanical and visit this website to get all the useful information to avoid getting ripped off.

My brake paddle has started feeling too soft to me.

Current Odometer reading:

97K miles

Brake Work History:

The brake pads were changed at 70K miles and the rotors resurfaced at Midas I am positive Midas screwed me big time.. they charged $650 for this job. But i was very new and did not know about this forum...... They literally scared me that if i drive more then the rotors would become damaged. :-(

Anyways got the brake pads checked at 90K and was told that they had about 40% life remaining.

Brake Oil in the container under the hood looks quite okay.

Problem:

Brake Paddle feels too soft and go down about 3/4 for complete braking.

Looking for what is to be done to fix this.

Only change Brake Oil? I am not sure if i understand what bleeding brakes mean. Do i need to bleed brakes?

How much should it cost?

Local Toyota dealer has a special of 129.99 to bleed and change the brake oil.

An independent mobile mechanic on craigslist quotes $40 to bleed the brakes. I will have to provide all the parts/oil needed.

Thanks a lot in advance to all the wonderful people on this website!!!!

Man, welcome, read on and save some money. Your pads should not have been at 40% after 20k miles. That means Midas used some crappy pads. Mine have consistantly gone over 80k miles between replacements. I am on my second set at 161k miles. AS for the mushey brakes, Yes get them bled. Midas should have done this.....

The Lexus or AKebono pads last a long time. As for the rotors you could have replaced them along with all pads for well under $250 in parts....

Man, welcome, read on and save some money. Your pads should not have been at 40% after 20k miles. That means Midas used some crappy pads. Mine have consistantly gone over 80k miles between replacements. I am on my second set at 161k miles. AS for the mushey brakes, Yes get them bled. Midas should have done this.....

The Lexus or AKebono pads last a long time. As for the rotors you could have replaced them along with all pads for well under $250 in parts....

Thanks for your reply. Can you also comment how much it would cost approx to bleed the brakes. As i mentioned earlier that a mobile independent mechanic quoted me $40 (parts given by me) and Toyota dealership has a special for 129.99 for which they bleed and change the brake oil.

Thanks a lot again.