Rx400h 06 El.engine Problem.

Hi, I've bought second hand Rx400h european model. The thing that I notcied is that after I tunr the car to Ready mode, the gas engine always switch on after some couple of seconds. Isthere anything wrong with my hybrid system? After have driveing the car for a while and if I start the car again then the gas engine won't turn on before many minutes, why is it like that? Do I have to change the aux battery? Apreciate for all replies.

Hi, I've bought second hand Rx400h european model. The thing that I notcied is that after I tunr the car to Ready mode, the gas engine always switch on after some couple of seconds. Isthere anything wrong with my hybrid system? After have driveing the car for a while and if I start the car again then the gas engine won't turn on before many minutes, why is it like that? Do I have to change the aux battery? Apreciate for all replies.

That's normal -- if the car is cold and/or the batt needs charging, then the engine will start.

(E.g., first thing in the morning, my ICE always starts up.)

If your headlights, heated seats, cabin heat/AC, lamps, etc., are all off and you try again, you may (or may not) find that the ICE doesn't start when you first start up.

Yes, this is normal if the engine is cold. The reason is that the oil must be warm enough to flow through the engine almost instantly, so starting and running upon initial startup is mandatory.

No, it is not warm enough to negate the need for the engine to heat up the oil. My garage is typically the same temperature as yours and our RX400h starts its engine within 10 seconds of our turning on the vehicle.

15 C equals about 59F which is great for a garage but my experience is it takes 70F or higher before the engine likes electric only for longer periods of time. (the traction battery is more efficient in warm weather) what others have already mentioned is its a good idea for your engine to start up at least once at the beginning of the day or after a long rest to circulate the oil in the engine. the warmer weather really will make a difference. there is a good reason the rx400's were introduced to reporters in hawaii. also your catalytic converter (do they have those in europe) needs to constantly be hot for lower emissions.