Es 300 Oil Leaks

marks

Hi folks new member

Recently purchased a 93 es300 with 117k miles. Took it in to the local Lexus dealer to have the valve cover gaskets replaced because I could smell a "burnt oil" smell when stopped. Have driven it about 150 mi since, and still smell the oil. Is it just going to take a little time for the oil to burn off, or do I have other problems. Car is in otherwise mint cond as far as I can tell, although I'm not a mechanic. Thanks for your comments.

thats a hard question to answer because i can see the engine to look for leaks.if they didnt wash the motor off like they should have after replacing the gaskets then there still can be oil left on the motor to burn off.i would have the motor cleaned and then check it for leaks.

Thanks for the responses. The smell seems to be getting into the intreior of the car through the heating system. Is this possible or am I imaging it. I washed the motor with degreaser at the carwash. The engine appears clean. Keep in mind that this car is otherwise MINT, everything works, and it runs and drives like new with 117,000 mi. I get this smell when the car is heated up and only when it's stopped, like at a stop light. Thanks for any help ya'll can offer.

Thanks. Had it checked yesterday. It's the rear main seal. It's only a drop or two here and there, but it drips directly on the hot exhaust pipe and makes that anoying smell. Better start saving my coins.

The rear main seal is a big job. They will charge around 6-9hrs. The tranny have to come off. It would take a skill Lexus tech 2.5hrs to do the job. We found a way that you don't have to drop the drop tranny. Slide the tranny out and let it sit on the craddle. Good luck with the repair.

www.jpimportz.org

JPI wrote:

If your real main seal is leaking you are loosing engine oil not ATF. On the ES300, cam seals and valve cover gaskets go out all the time.

www.jpimportz.org

Is this all ES300's up to present? or primarily early to mid 90's models?