Leasing: Excessive Wear & Tear

jss1941

Lexus lease agreements make the lessee responsible for "excessive wear and tear" on lease termination, but nowhere (at least the ones in Canada) is this defined. What constitutes "excessive" in this regard? Clearly, large dents and damage due to collisions, but what about scratches, door dings, and "bumper rash" from the occasional 'park by feel' idiot?

What extent of minor dings/scratches are considered "fair wear and tear"?

The correct answer is "it varies". Some companies are very lenient while others will attempt to nickle-and-dime you for every little swirl mark. Do your homework very thoroughly before you turn your car in and be prepared to stand up to them. It doesn't hurt to turn the car in sparkling clean, inside and out....

I guess theoretically, any such defect they could constitute as wear. But if dealers annoyed their customers with every little thing; they'd have no customers!

Dealer's have to give and take. If something is reasonable, they'll point it out. But for little things, they'll just look the other way... It helps if you're a good customer as well; if you have your car serviced at the dealer that will also help.

I've never leased a Lexus and turned it back in...

However the times I've been around my Dad leasing cars and turning them back in the credit card rule is what they used...