Xm/sirius Tuner

imaginative

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Lexus ES 350 2009 w/ Navigation package. I was curious if there are currently any options for an XM/Sirius tuner that doesn't require mounting an ugly dash board piece. Something that interfaces with the navigation/radio system would be ideal. Is there currently any solutions out there for that? I know the dealership wants to charge roughly $1,000 for something similar, but I think that's a bit ridiculous.

Would love to hear.

Thanks!

Lexus does offer that unit. I had the external antena mounted on the rear brake light INSIDE the car. Works great. reception has never been an issue.

The Sat radio is displayed like my radio display.

I paid about $400.00 Canadian.

Take a look here - www.vaistech.com. Easy install if you're willing to pull some interior trim pieces off. Took about an hour and half. There's a thread somewhere here with pics. I ran the antenna to next to the third light on the package shelf and haven't had any reception problems.

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Lexus ES 350 2009 w/ Navigation package. I was curious if there are currently any options for an XM/Sirius tuner that doesn't require mounting an ugly dash board piece. Something that interfaces with the navigation/radio system would be ideal. Is there currently any solutions out there for that? I know the dealership wants to charge roughly $1,000 for something similar, but I think that's a bit ridiculous.

Would love to hear.

Thanks!

1000 $ is too much for it. I have purchased an ES 350 last month with UL package/ML etc. and the dealer was charging 900 $ for XM installation. The price of the unit is around 486 $. I had to negotiate the XM for 500 $ installed with inside XM antenna in the purchase price.

Since you have already purchased the car there isn't much left to negotiate with the dealer. I can see two options for you;

1. Try another dealer to have it installed for a resonable price

2. Try Vaistech unit which has other goodies too like able to control your ipod through steering wheel, etc. The only downside is that if you get it installed through a dealer, the ultimate cost would perhaps be in 5-700 $ range + your dash needs to be opened up to get the wires routed to your glovebox, etc. Depending on the dealer's experience this can be done flawlessly and doesn't void your factory warranty.

I was at my Lexus dealer this week for a one month check up and they told me that they can install the Vaistech unit for 500 $ Since I already had XM installed so there would be no charge for that, otherwise they told me that there would be a 100-200 $ charge to get the XM installed with the Vaistech unit . I'll see if I can get over my fear/concern of getting the dashboard opened up. Just go to Vaistech.com site and see the detailed diagram of this unit's installation and decide what you think.

Hope it helps,

Regards, a1s1a1

2. Try Vaistech unit which has other goodies too like able to control your ipod through steering wheel, etc. The only downside is that if you get it installed through a dealer, the ultimate cost would perhaps be in 5-700 $ range + your dash needs to be opened up to get the wires routed to your glovebox, etc. Depending on the dealer's experience this can be done flawlessly and doesn't void your factory warranty.

I was at my Lexus dealer this week for a one month check up and they told me that they can install the Vaistech unit for 500 $ Since I already had XM installed so there would be no charge for that, otherwise they told me that there would be a 100-200 $ charge to get the XM installed with the Vaistech unit . I'll see if I can get over my fear/concern of getting the dashboard opened up. Just go to Vaistech.com site and see the detailed diagram of this unit's installation and decide what you think.

Hope it helps,

Regards, a1s1a1

Warning - I had just mentioned in a different forum a few of the VAISTech issues we're run into.

1) The new XM channels (Sirius-XM actually) don't always work with the VAISTech unit. By reprogramming the unit, the channels will appear in the channel list. However, once the vehicle is powered-off, the channels don't respond and most of the time the XM switches to another channel. Sometimes the audio goes completely away. It could be the Audiovox XM tuner, but VAISTech hasn't said and it has been months.

2) Our VAISTech module died over a month ago. We took it to CarToys who had to send the module to VAISTech(!!) for repair. Over a month later we still have no module. It was under warranty at the time. So, if you want to go the VAISTech route and you have a problem, don't expect to have a repair for at least a month. I'm told maybe next week we'll get the unit back. Not a good way to keep customers...

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Take a look here - www.vaistech.com. Easy install if you're willing to pull some interior trim pieces off. Took about an hour and half. There's a thread somewhere here with pics. I ran the antenna to next to the third light on the package shelf and haven't had any reception problems.

How do you remove the interior trim pieces?

It took me about 1-2 hours to put a Lexus OEM XM Radio turner in my trunk.

I purchased the unit (actually made by Pioneer I believe) online from a Lexus dealer in TX - I live in New England. My New England dealer told me, at the time of my purchase, that the cost would be around $800 - $900 for their aftermarket (same unit) installed. I paid in the neighborhood of $280, or so, with all cables, OEM hardware, etc. There are actually several Lexus dealers that sell these units through eBay.

I have subsequently found out that you can purchase the units elsewhere for a lower cost however, I am not so assured that all hardware is included. Furthermore, all of the boxes shipped to me were Lexus stock boxes, numbers, etc. Just a little more comfort feel.

It really was a real breeze putting in and it is fully integrated in my 2008's ES350 non-navigation radio. I never listen to conventional radio and it has worked flawlessly for about 10 months.

In a million years, you would never know that it was non-factory installed.

• 1 year later...

It took me about 1-2 hours to put a Lexus OEM XM Radio turner in my trunk.

I purchased the unit (actually made by Pioneer I believe) online from a Lexus dealer in TX - I live in New England. My New England dealer told me, at the time of my purchase, that the cost would be around $800 - $900 for their aftermarket (same unit) installed. I paid in the neighborhood of $280, or so, with all cables, OEM hardware, etc. There are actually several Lexus dealers that sell these units through eBay.

I have subsequently found out that you can purchase the units elsewhere for a lower cost however, I am not so assured that all hardware is included. Furthermore, all of the boxes shipped to me were Lexus stock boxes, numbers, etc. Just a little more comfort feel.

It really was a real breeze putting in and it is fully integrated in my 2008's ES350 non-navigation radio. I never listen to conventional radio and it has worked flawlessly for about 10 months.

In a million years, you would never know that it was non-factory installed.