Looking For A Little Info On Pulleys.. Gaskets.

jcrome04

Hey everyone. I got a new serp belt and figured I'd get a new idler pulley along with it cause I think mine is making a little noise.

I called up Carson to place and order and I was informed that there are TWO free pulleys.

Idler Pulley

16603-0W010

Tension Pulley

16604-0F010

I didn't know there was a 2nd pulley. Do you think it would be necessary to replace this one as well while I'm at it?

I also have a part number for the crush washer to the water inlet housing.

90430-20004, $1.90 at the dealership

Part number for the IACV gasket is..

22278-50011, $3.84 at the dealership.

I did not order through Carson since whoever I was talking to said they'd call me back and never did.

I have however found this other site, www.parts.com from another member here on the forum. And the prices are MUCH better than I have found at Carson.

Coolant temp sensor for a 97 LS at parts.com is $41.57. At Carson the same part is $49.91

If you know which one is making the noise, I'd just replace that one. The Lexus may be a little different, but on most other cars, replacing the belts is a pretty simple procedure, so if you end up needing to replace the other one, it's not like you'll have to take apart the whole car to do it.

BTW, what is the price of these pulleys?

When I did the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Pulleys/etc. job in January, I found while in the process that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley was making a little noise. I didn't want to wait for another part to come in to finish the job, and while the local Toyota dealer would have sold it for $70, they didn't have it in stock. Of the 2 Lexus dealers in the area, one wanted $96 and the other wanted $126. Instead, I found the bearing at AutoZone for $5, and a machine shop charged me $2 to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in.

I may just order up both of them in a week or two.

Would just getting new bearings pressed in be a long lasting option? or just a quick fix? There's no worry of the new ones failing?

Maybe I'll wait to get new pulleys until I figure out if I'm buying a new car or not! :D lol

A lady in town might want to get rid of her mint black/black 99 LS with 105k. :lol:

When I did the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Pulleys/etc. job in January, I found while in the process that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley was making a little noise. I didn't want to wait for another part to come in to finish the job, and while the local Toyota dealer would have sold it for $70, they didn't have it in stock. Of the 2 Lexus dealers in the area, one wanted $96 and the other wanted $126. Instead, I found the bearing at AutoZone for $5, and a machine shop charged me $2 to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in.

Of the 2 Lexus dealers in the area, one wanted $96 and the other wanted $126.

You aren't referring to the greater Seattle area, are you?..............

I replaced my pulley and serpentine belt on my 98 last year when the bearing ripped apart and caused the serpentine belt to break. The dealer wanted 90 dollars, I would have went to a machine shop to have a new bearing pressed in but I found one on a salvaged Lexus engine that was in an accident for 10 dollars. Took about 15 minutes to put it and the belt on, very easy process. You don't want to be on the road far away and your serp belt break. It runs your power steering and alternator.

I may just order up both of them in a week or two.

Would just getting new bearings pressed in be a long lasting option? or just a quick fix? There's no worry of the new ones failing?

Can't say with any certainty how long the bearing will last.....but it looks like the same bearing that was in it.....and so far so good. I would expect it to last as long as the original bearing, but who knows? If it fails early, I'll post it.