3 Month Owner Review

amcdonal86

I'd love to get an IS300 or G35, but both are out of my price range, and for the age/price, the RX-8 seems like a better value. That, and I'm biased towards Mazda. :D

I've driven my gf's mom's '08 G35 Journey, and I wasn't impressed. The driving position is all wrong, and it feels kind of jittery and unfamiliar, if you know what I mean!

The long road trip is where the LS really makes its mark. Since I've gotten my car, I've taken several long road trips. I'm planning one in the fall where I drive from PA to California and back. You really don't get any body fatigue in this car and it has very good road manners. On a long stretch, it reminds me of being in a 747.

ive had my 95' LS for 8 months now...driven it on many trips! Panama city, Texas, Gatlinburg, Cades Cove, Nashville, and soon Texas again!! Im a Traveling man, so comfort and safety is my priority...if i want to get a little wild, ill just hop in my 400HP 69' fastback w/4 in the floor and go nuts!!..you know what i mean SRK!!...two totally different personalities that everyone needs to juggle sometimes!

in the past, I had an 86 Mazda RX-7 - pretty fun car!! 84 5.0 stang, - easiest car to get squirly with!

94' Vigor - suprisingly balanced, solid, agile, and quick! Hard to find a decent one for sale though...

i would have to say in the comfort/Luxury class....the LS takes the cake over Cadillacs, MB's, Lincolns and Mercs for long hauls...you seem to be able to drive longer periods in the LS without getting tired or too worn out!

Happy Lexin' round yall! ;)

if u r getting bored with ur Ls u can always start modding it to fit ur style...it will give the car new life, besides u wont find another car that will give u the complete reliability that the Ls will

post-44950-1237848464_thumb.jpg

I'm not buying into this idea that the Lexus is a repair-free, problem-free car. Just look at all the people on this forum looking for help. Heck, I spent $500 myself trying to trace down a suspension noise.

With the proper maintenance/repairs, though, I'm sure Lexuses last much longer than most other cars.

no car is repair free, show me another car with the styling as well as the fact that these cars drivetrains are bullet proof, did u find the noise? what was it and who charged u 500 to find it?

no car is repair free, show me another car with the styling as well as the fact that these cars drivetrains are bullet proof, did u find the noise? what was it and who charged u 500 to find it?

It was the upper strut mounts. I initially went to the dealership to diagnose the issue and then got scammed $200. Then at the recommendation of this board, I replaced the strut rods and sway bar bushings myself. Then I finally replaced the upper strut mounts, which solved the problem.

Lots of Toyotas and Hondas have bulletproof drivetrains. Not sure if others can match the styling at this pricepoint, though.

It's certainly possible to get 'driver fatigue' with a car; I think that's why i held on to the Mercedes after i bought the Lexus. They are totally different; but i like driving both of them for different reasons. The more I drive one the more I appreciate the other. Honestly if I had the garage space and the cash I'd probably have a car for every day of the week; but that's just me.

Some people call the Lexus soulless; I think this comes from the Japanese approach to luxury and premium products. The Japanese are obsessed with details and refinement; from the sound the door makes when it closes to the feeling of the handle when you open it. The sequence of illumination of the gauges; the feel of the leather; the speed and sound of the climate control fans, the shape of the buttons and how they feel; the speed at which all the interior compartments open (and the angle; dampening, etc). Someone THOUGHT about all these things; whereas in most American cars they seemed to be happy just to get them to work without falling off. In these areas the LS has steadily improved over time; especially as Mercedes has gone on to chase the almighty dollar and BMW got lost in the world of Chris Bangle. For me this attention to detail spells luxury. For some handling; brute power, or uniqueness are more important; that's why there are BMWs, Audi's etc. Like NC said the GS is a good blend of performance and luxury (the Maxima is also a great car but it's not really in the same league as the GS/LS).

In LA I don't get many chances to 'drive' the LS. It's more like sit in traffic and wait for the light to change; so in some sense the car's road performance is immaterial. But the more time I spend in the car the more I appreciate its exquisite construction; incredible attention to detail; and flawless execution. I also appreciate the reliability and durability because I HATE taking the car to the shop. And when i do get to wind it out; the quietness, the absolute CALM as the car rockets down the freeway is something very special. It does the basics well; without drama or shenanigans (honestly so did the last 911 i drove and nobody calls those cars dull).

What you have to do appreciate the LS is spend time in someone ELSE's car. I didn't really appreciate how wonderful the leather was in the LS until I sat in my mother's Acura and the leather felt like plastic. I kind of forgot how quiet the LS was until I had to listen to the rattles in a Cadillac; or how comfortable the seats were until I was imprisoned in a Chrysler for a long drive in Florida. Or how roomy the cabin was until I had to sit in a BMW in cross-town traffic. And I had taken the solid feeling of the controls for granted until I drove an E-class recently. And reliability? Many people here have cars that are 8-10 years old and run well with minimal maintenance; how many BMW's can claim that? or Chevys or Fords for that matter? And these were $50,000+ cars when new.

The LS is not a 'lion hear me roar' type of car; it's not flashy or imposing--there are other cars for that (AMG anyone?). But for those who appreciate its talents (and there are many) and subtle character the rewards are sublime. It kind of gets under your skin...you really miss it when it's gone.

:cheers:

I'm not buying into this idea that the Lexus is a repair-free, problem-free car. Just look at all the people on this forum looking for help. Heck, I spent $500 myself trying to trace down a suspension noise.

With the proper maintenance/repairs, though, I'm sure Lexuses last much longer than most other cars.

And they're not, trust me. I spent thousands of dollars on my 95 LS, mostly due to gaining confidence in my repair ability and wanting to try. But, you've also got to take into account the fact that many of the folks on here asking "help me" questions, are driving 10+ year old cars. Age hurts almost as badly as neglect. But, I get what you're saying, I really do. As Lexus has a unique characteristic about their cars, that isn't matched by anyone else, so does Mazda and their zoom-zoom approach. Which they do very well. You won't find a match to that characteristic in the Toyota branding, period. Nissan and BMW are about as close as you're going to get. I always felt like our 3gt drove more like a little BMW 318ti of yesteryear, then any other type of 'small' car on the market. VW has their feel too. I think what you're wanting, is exactly what Toyota engineers dial OUT of their cars, which is also what attracts a lot people to Toyota. That is, the road. Toyota insulates you from the pavement and the mechanicals of the car. Especially the Lexus brand. They go for "smoooooth" operations. Mazda, doesn't even really try. Of the asian cars, I would have to say Nissan has created the best balance between the two. But, ever driven a 50k mile nissan? They're not the same car you bought new.

If I could, I would have kept the 3 for my "toy" car. But, that just wasn't in the cards.

I think you'll also see more repairs on Toyotas now too. I think the curse of being #1 is going to get them. #1 = bullseye on your back. #2 is the best spot to be in. I say this, because it seems to me that the cars built up to 2005/06 seem to be performing better then the 06+, when Toyota was clearly going to take the #1 spot. Getting something, and keeping something, are two totally different animals. I'd rather have something in the "getting phase", then in the "trying to keep it phase".

And they're not, trust me. I spent thousands of dollars on my 95 LS, mostly due to gaining confidence in my repair ability and wanting to try. But, you've also got to take into account the fact that many of the folks on here asking "help me" questions, are driving 10+ year old cars. Age hurts almost as badly as neglect. But, I get what you're saying, I really do. As Lexus has a unique characteristic about their cars, that isn't matched by anyone else, so does Mazda and their zoom-zoom approach. Which they do very well. You won't find a match to that characteristic in the Toyota branding, period. Nissan and BMW are about as close as you're going to get. I always felt like our 3gt drove more like a little BMW 318ti of yesteryear, then any other type of 'small' car on the market. VW has their feel too. I think what you're wanting, is exactly what Toyota engineers dial OUT of their cars, which is also what attracts a lot people to Toyota. That is, the road. Toyota insulates you from the pavement and the mechanicals of the car. Especially the Lexus brand. They go for "smoooooth" operations. Mazda, doesn't even really try. Of the asian cars, I would have to say Nissan has created the best balance between the two. But, ever driven a 50k mile nissan? They're not the same car you bought new.

If I could, I would have kept the 3 for my "toy" car. But, that just wasn't in the cards.

I think you'll also see more repairs on Toyotas now too. I think the curse of being #1 is going to get them. #1 = bullseye on your back. #2 is the best spot to be in. I say this, because it seems to me that the cars built up to 2005/06 seem to be performing better then the 06+, when Toyota was clearly going to take the #1 spot. Getting something, and keeping something, are two totally different animals. I'd rather have something in the "getting phase", then in the "trying to keep it phase".

well said! and there is only a small percentage of people who actually pay attention to the ratings and reviews of vehicles, and since new car sales are trimming and used car sales are booming, more people are starting to do thier research on reliable, affordable vehicles - and the 90' - 06' LS is within that top Category.

Heck, i researched on Edmunds used car reviews - and thats how i found the LS...just read the reviews on any of them and its 95% good stuff.

Yeah they really seem to have cut some corners in '06. I distinctly remember the ES350 and '07 Camry as being slightly less fabulous than their predecessors. There were some embarassing quality gaffes too; ES/Camrys with exploding transmissions; recalls, and the LS failing to take top honors in the IQS for the first time in a gazillion years (although to be fair it was an entirely new design).

Toyota freely admits they cut too many quality engineers the last time around; and this seems to be coming back to bite them in the !Removed!. With everybody else in the world not chasing them and some getting pretty good (Ford, Hyundai) the crown is now theirs to lose. Hopefully they'll wise up and restaff.

Also cars are just waay more complicated now than they were 20 or even 10 years ago. My Mercedes will actually run without any electrical power at all; the fuel injection, steering and brakes are all mechanical. Try THAT on a new car!

It just all depends on what you want out of a car. For me, the LS is the perfect car and I truly enjoy driving it, as I do my ES. I find excitement in how damped and perfectly isolated everything the cars do is.

But, if you like a sportier car then its not for you...

It just all depends on what you want out of a car. For me, the LS is the perfect car and I truly enjoy driving it, as I do my ES. I find excitement in how damped and perfectly isolated everything the cars do is.

But, if you like a sportier car then its not for you...

The LS 400 is a chill out car.Set the cruse and let it run.The nearest car is the 1970 Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3,what a rocket.

To me, getting excited about driving an LS is akin to getting excited about sleeping on a comfortable mattress.

Cheer up!!

wait until you are 75, and you will know something about sleeping on a comfortable mattress.......

a few thousand will buy my LS, my mattress is untouchable... if you last, you will see...

get your hopes up..

I started looking at other cars that I could afford to pay cash for. Then I realized why I bought it in the first place--there are not very many cars that are $7000-ish that can drive as good (as in "like new") as the LS does and do so reliably/cheaply. I think I will be sticking onto the LS for a while, perhaps forever.

But when I have the money, I'm definitely going to compliment it with something else that revs my engine!! I'm surprised more people on this board don't do that! :D

But when I have the money, I'm definitely going to compliment it with something else that revs my engine!! I'm surprised more people on this board don't do that! :D

I will hopefully be getting a motorcycle in early fall "ish". That should definetly rev me up to 13K-14K RPM lol. I can't wait. I think it will be the perfect complement to a fine large luxury sedan. :D

I noticed how eerily similar the OP and I are, and I just had to post. I, too, am 22 and currently drive a Miata (which I bought for the same reasons). I'm trying to sell it to buy an LS400 for (almost!) the same reasons, too! Your post has really made me think. I've only test driven two LS400s and the lack of driver interaction hasn't really turned me off of the car, so I think I'm going to go through with my plans. I'm worried I'll regret it later, though. I only wish I could afford to have both!

Thank you for sharing your experiences :)

I noticed how eerily similar the OP and I are, and I just had to post. I, too, am 22 and currently drive a Miata (which I bought for the same reasons). I'm trying to sell it to buy an LS400 for (almost!) the same reasons, too! Your post has really made me think. I've only test driven two LS400s and the lack of driver interaction hasn't really turned me off of the car, so I think I'm going to go through with my plans. I'm worried I'll regret it later, though. I only wish I could afford to have both!

Thank you for sharing your experiences :)

That is uncanny! Honestly, for this price range, the LS400 is one of the best cars you can buy.

The Miata is one of the most fun cars you'll ever drive. Although I'd rather be driving something other than the LS right now, I'm not regretting buying it. It has helped me really get an idea of what kind of car I want to end up with.

Okay, I did something I should NEVER have done. I sat in an RX-8 on a Mazda showroom floor.

That car SCREAMS fun, even when it's standing still!!!!!

I MUST have one!

LOL I think I found the perfect fun car for you. An Ariel Atom :D Faster than a porsche Carrera GT and only $65K. I know I shure want one :D