2003 Es300 Doors Don't Unlock When Shifted Into Park

Every car that I have ever driven when shifted into park all the doors unlock but my 03 ES does not. Is this something that the dealer can change for me or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks!

I can't find an LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) list for the 03 ES but a number of past threads say that 2002 was the first year that the ES had LPS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...zed+%2Bsettings

The option to unlock the doors when shifting into park was available in prior years of the IS, LS ,GS, and SC so I am assuming that it would be available on the 02+ ES.

Modifying the setting usually takes a scan tool with an appropriate program card. Some indie shops, like the one I use, have the equipment to change LPS.

There are lots of customizable settings settings so you might want to ask a Lexus dealer for a copy of the list so you have all the settings you want customized at the same time. I did a search but I can't find a list on this forum. You can see the list for the ES350 here: http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/ES_LPS.pdf

Not that I usually drive in extremely "rough" areas but the last thing I would want a car to do is to automatically unlock the doors when the transmission is shifted into park .... can you spell "car jacking"?

Every car that I have ever driven when shifted into park all the doors unlock but my 03 ES does not. Is this something that the dealer can change for me or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks!

According to the book the instructions are

1 close all doors

2 turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position

3 Within 10 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the

"ON" position push and hold the rear of the power door lock switch for 5 seconds with the selector lever in the "P" position

Hope this works for you

Thanks for your help guys, I can't try anything right now because my car is out of commission, I slid into a tree about a week ago and its at the dealer getting repaired (over $7000!) anyway when I get it back I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

P.S.

Not that I usually drive in extremely "rough" areas but the last thing I would want a car to do is to automatically unlock the doors when the transmission is shifted into park .... can you spell "car jacking"?

I always lock the car before I leave it, I just want all the doors to unlock because I usually have stuff in the back seat or the passenger seat that I can't carry out through the driver door, but in the neighborhood that I live in I could leave my car unlock and nobody would bother it, I have left the doors unlocked to my house before (we don't usually).

check your manual. i changed my settings as the above with the ignition switch on but i dont remeber pushing the back lock button? i though it was only the front but may be diff with each diff setting. you can actually change the when it locks and unlocks. there are two settings for each. locking when the car is started or hits 30mph. and unlocking is when you put the car in park or when you pull the door handle all the doors unlock.

you can also change the setting on the remote clicker to unlock all doors when hitting the unlock button once.

Very easily set up yourself using the procedure outlaw posted. I set mine up right after I bought it.

Other things can be set with LPS, but thats something you can do yourself.